cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Champions of England we know what we are

Lancashire to sign finn?
Kevthorpe (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 19:26
Anyone else seen this?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 13/08/2017 20:48 by Kevthorpe.

Re: Lancashire to sign finn
12 August, 2017 19:31
Dream fkin on Lanky!!

He's got a Watford season ticket and he's Middle till he dies !

Plus his mum and dad would probably kill him , not to mention his ex head of sixth form smiling smiley

Kevthorpe (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 19:34
It's on cricinfo - George Dobrell link here [www.espncricinfo.com]

I hope I've posted that right

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2017 19:38 by Kevthorpe.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 20:02
I would have had Steve Finn down as a Middlesex Till He Dies.

I am a bit worried that several others (including Dawid Malan) are out of contract. I would have expected us to have offered everyone deals last winter.

One bargaining tool we have- Steve Finn got his county cap in 2009, so is due a benefit.

You aren't meant to include things like that in a deal, but if it's down to money, that ought to be a persuasive factor.

12 August, 2017 20:11
A link to our contracts thread-

[www.cricketnetwork.co.uk]

Morgan I'm not worried about.

Malan would worry me.

and, out of the younger brigade, we need to get Ryan Higgins deal done, before Ashley Giles abducts him.

With HiFi I wonder if it is just money (He might not get a full England contract in September) If he is unhappy at something to do with the club it would be a great shame.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 21:12
Have seen the article,allegedly they have asked to speak to Steven,to be honest,I can't see this happening.
Move up north,think family are all down south,so I don't think we should worry too much.
I'm sure that all the players signed long contracts last year to keep them.
And,why go to that county when he has the happy Middle family here?

Don't worry folks,I'm sure he will still be wearing our famous 3 Seaxes

12 August, 2017 21:19
I wouldn't be so sure, Beefy.

Announcements are always made when a new contract has been signed, and Gus has confirmed an approach has been made.

If Steve is using it as a bargaining tool to get us to up our offer, I don't blame him.

I'm just as worried about Dawid Malan. He might be fed up being messed around over one day captaincy (just because Vettori wanted 'his man' as captain).

If everything was hunky dorey these two should have re-signed months ago.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 22:04
I didn’t see this coming. The main reason why I can see Steven Finn wishing to leave Middlesex is that he may hope that a change of scenery would increase his chances of getting back into the England side. At one point, Liam Plunkett could barely get into the Durham side let get close to adding to the England caps he won early in his career, but he showed what a change of counties can do, as his switch to Yorkshire did him wonders.

Another possible explanation is that there is a possibility that Richard Johnson, who has worked closely with Finn in recent years, is tipped to leave his role as Middlesex bowling coach to take up the same post with England, so that would be a big change for Finn. Then again, working with Lancashire's bowling coach would also be a big change.

George Dobell mentions that the difference in the pitches at Lord’s and Old Trafford is another reason why Finn may move.

I felt certain that at least a couple of bowlers at Middlesex would leave the club this winter, but if Finn leaves, then maybe not all of the bowlers who I was thinking of may leave.

It wasn’t long ago that it seemed we were one of the most attractive destinations for players seeking to progress their career, something summed up when James Harris chose us over more than half of the other counties, which was an achievement that took me by surprise when his signing was announced. Therefore, it is a shame that we seem to have lost a bit of allure.

If I knew about this news, maybe I could have asked Finn when I saw him at football today. Then again, he was on the phone at the time, and in any case, I am not good at talking to people. It was actually the first time I had ever seen him there.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 23:31
My last comments on this....Why would Gus speak to the media before any official club release on the website?
Crucial part of season,why would anyone want to unsettle the squad?
And,as I said before,if Steven's family is in the south,why up sticks north?

The latest vogue thing is False News!

13 August, 2017 06:39
Beefy- It may not happen- and I hope it doesn't.

But it can't be rubbished as a non-story.

Stee is out of contract in a few weeks time. And in the past he has always renewed his contract the previous winter. So he has obviously being giving serious consideration to a move for some time.

The question is why? Just money? Doesn't like Lord's wickets? Something else?

Thread title should be altered to Finn may leave for Lancashire. Current title makes it look like he already has.

snicko (IP Logged)
13 August, 2017 09:54
Any player coming off a central contract becomes a problem for their County as the player is to be paid 50% of that contract for the following season. Salary caps and existing contractual obligations make it difficult to meet those players expectations and with the size of squad that The Middle currently have and the very significant sums paid to our Antipodean brethren, there possibly isn't that much room for manoeuvre.

If Finny seeks pastures new, then we already have his replacement from the pavilion end in Helm.

I would expect a few other departures before the start of next season through retirements and non-renewal of contracts and some being poached by other counties through lack of opportunities. It is a very short career in the context of a working life - every player must do what is best for themselves. 15 - 20 year careers with their home county are a thing of the past.

Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
13 August, 2017 10:09
Were Finny to go, I personally would miss him, because he's such a lovely, still shy, bloke to talk to.

He was even kind enough to say that the support he got from Middle supporters at MTS vs Hants was a key thing towards him rediscovering his mojo, and he then went on to get back into the England team.

Thinking slightly less sentimentally, we have a lot of good seamers, we need to think about where we accommodate Poddy, Tom, 'arry, ...........

Life being what it is, we might lose Finny and Dial M at about the same time, Toby gets a central contract, but life goes on, and these are the way that opportunities come along for the next in line.

Holmegaard (IP Logged)
13 August, 2017 21:15
This seems to have been rather a confused, uninspired and disrupted season all round.

Malan sounded vaguely miffed the other day. I'm not sure Finn really knows what he's doing or where, when and for whom he's playing. Both might refresh their careers with a move, and from their point of view it would be the right time.

Re: Lancashire to sign finn?
14 August, 2017 10:46
I'm hoping this is the equivalent of Steve getting the estate agent to value the house (but with no intention of moving). How do you know how much you are worth until you see what others are willing to pay?

Problem is, I think in the past we have said something along the lines of not doing extra costly deals, no matter who it is, as others would want the same.

I wonder if this is why James Harris has been frozen out lately. Because, if HiFi doesn't get a central contract, then we have to pay all his salary- which almost certainly means losing someone senior to balance the books financially.

Nightmare scenario would be Steve Finn leaves, AND so does James Harris, because he has had so few first team opportunities this year. Then Tim Murtagh retires in 12 months time.

It only goes to show you can never relax, and complacently think everything is sorted. Our seam/pace attack could very quickly go from riches to rags.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 11:36
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
A link to our contracts thread-
[www.cricketnetwork.co.uk]

Morgan I'm not worried about.

Malan would worry me.

and, out of the younger brigade, we need to get Ryan Higgins deal done, before Ashley Giles abducts him.

With HiFi I wonder if it is just money (He might not get a full England contract in September) If he is unhappy at something to do with the club it would be a great shame.

You say chunky, Morgan you are not worried about? I think you should be. First. He has a central white ball contract which I believe I read Strauss had equalised with red ball. So no cost to our cricket budget.

Second. His presence on our staff, he came up through our Academy system, as England One Day Captain, means that he attracts sponsors to the Club.

Thirdly. Should he depart, we would have to replace with a cost to the cricket budget. So a double whammy financewise.

To a lesser degree at the moment, but could change, would also apply to Dawid.

As regards to the general gist of cricinfo. Looks very much like the footie tactic of putting rumours into the public domain in the hope of turning heads.

In their case. The motivation is obvious.

14 August, 2017 15:01
Maybe Finn feels that a change would revitalise his England career. For whatever reason he is not quite the bowler he was 4 or 5 years ago and he has slipped down the pecking order.

snicko (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 16:00
I think it is fair to say that Finny has not developed into the bowler that the Middle and England thought at one stage he could be.

His early introductions to international cricket and subsequent struggles with form must be frustrating for those who saw him as a future dominant quick in world cricket. As he approaches his prime physically, it is perhaps the mental side that needs a freshen up, and a move to another county may benefit all. His body language suggests someone who is always battling with his mind and a fresh challenge could rekindle the flames. It would be remiss of me to suggest he may be in something akin to a comfort zone at Middlesex as I'm not privy to the inner sanctum at our club

Playing a part in winning the Championship for Middlesex is very dear to Finny, but, having been playing here for 12 seasons he may need a fresh challenge to rediscover his mojo.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 17:36
At the moment, the situation is thus. Finny on a central contract until September.

James Anderson I suspect will be thinking of retirement after the Ashes Tour. That suggests that Finny moves one back up the pecking order.

Also means Lanky will be looking around methinks. New Director of Cricket and all.

Wood is very injury prone so adds to that theory. So Finny good chance of being retained.

Until September we ain't gonna know the outcome of those deliberations.

I assume Dobell is the author of reviving his career. Seen a lot of MX cricket myself this year.

Finny's body language looks ok to me. Especially at Radlett where he took out the Glammy top order by sheer effort and with help from Higgo won an unlikely victory..

Beefy has come up with an interesting theory. Dobell and Liew are the same bloke. Vernacular is certainly similar.

Fozzie (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 19:00
If we see Dobell advocating a Test recall for Eoin Morgan we shall know that Beefy's theory is correct!

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 16:18
If you wasnt a bit of MX nostalgia read page 16 of Telegraph Sport Final Whistle by Simon Briggs.

Gist. Relates to rise of Essex this year and Mx last year.

Quotes. The two G's Gooch and Gatting bestrode the landscape like Hector and Achilles in whites.

As kingpins of the two mightiest counties - Middlesex and Essex.

The big G's shared 9 championships in 12 years.

Middlesex and Essex share both a historic rivalry and and an emblem: three seaxes: differentiated only by the colour of the background.

A decent read.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net