cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Champions of England we know what we are

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Staying alive Staying alive...Uxbridge Tues at 5.30.
Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
13 August, 2017 18:20
After today's results MX are bottom. However, don't despair chaps. There are five teams on 12 points one of whom are Glaws.

Should we win at Gatting Way on Tuesday evening, we go above them on runrate.

The hoodoo has to be broken some time. Thereafter it depends on results elsewhere to see whether we are still alive at the SWALEC come Friday.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/08/2017 18:59 by BarmierKev.

Re: Staying alive Staying alive...Uxbridge Tues at 5.30.
Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
13 August, 2017 18:51
Hopefully this will finally be the day Middlesex beat Gloucestershire in a Twenty20 match.

I imagine our line-up will be similar to that which played v Sussex at Lord’s on Thursday and v Essex at Chelmsford the following evening. Hopefully Steven Finn will have recovered from what I think was a calf injury which sidelined him at Chelmsford. Maybe Ravi Patel will finally play in our campaign alongside Nathan Sowter.

It might be an advantage to bat first in this match, as the match is not scheduled to finish until 8:15pm, which is 10 minutes before the sun is due to set in Uxbridge, which could make batting last harder. However, the forecast is for a sunny day on Tuesday, so that will be better news for the side batting second compared to if the forecast was for a cloudy day and evening. Playing from 5:30pm-8:15pm without the aid of floodlights rarely poses difficulties around June and July due to the days being longer, but doing so in mid-August is riskier.

14 August, 2017 00:02
With Daniel Vettori steering the ship what could possibly go wrong!!

Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 13:35
I just hope the club coffers have benefited from this farago.

How much longer .................?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/08/2017 09:59 by Primrose Hillbilly.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 17:03
Squad-

[www.middlesexccc.com]

Morgan(c) Barber, Eskinazi, Finn, Franklin, Helm, Higgins, Patel, Scott, Simpson (wk) Southee, Sowter, Stirling, Voges, White.

14 August, 2017 18:26
It is great that Adam Voges and Steven Finn are back. Paul Stirling wasn’t initially due to be available for this match or for Friday’s final group match v Glamorgan at Sophia Gardens due to Ireland beginning a four-day Intercontinental Cup match v Netherlands at Malahide tomorrow, but a Cricket Ireland spokesperson has said that it has been agreed with Middlesex that Stirlo is currently not fit for four-day cricket as a result of his recent calf injury and that he can only play Twenty20 matches, so that injury seems to have now worked in Middlesex’s favour.

Gloucestershire have named a 14-man squad for this match consisting of Michael Klinger (c), Phil Mustard, Iain Cockbain, Cameron Bancroft, George Hankins, Benny Howell, Jack Taylor, Kieran Noema-Barnett, Graeme van Buuren, Tom Smith, David Payne, Christopher Liddle, Matt Taylor and Craig Miles.

14 August, 2017 19:45
Why is it every time for about the last 20 years I have looked at a Gloucestershire squad to take us on in One day cricket it has struck the fear of God into me ?

Post fielders on the Pavilion roof, if Klinger gets going it could be Hamish Marshall time all over again.

Going to try to make the game after work, quite why I haven't worked out yet.

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 20:58
Hopefully we are going to break our Glaws duck tomorrow.

I should be at Uxbridge around about 4pm and available for drink before at Queens Head assuming they have supplies left .

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 21:08
Sadly missing as at work keeping the trains moving to get you near the destination!
Gloucs seem to be our bogie side at Uxbridge,one day we must get one over them.
Big crowd expected again,enjoy those going along.

15 August, 2017 17:25
Uxbridge time is obviously 4 minutes ahead of the rest of the UK.

(Sm134)

15 August, 2017 18:03
Morgan reverse sweep duck.

Can't help thinking he wouldn't have done that in an England shirt.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 18:12
Listening to Kevin Hand and Nick Gubbins commentary at work.
Must say Nick comes over as a damn good commentator,A natural!

15 August, 2017 19:53
Not only a victory, but a victory that should do our run rate a lot of good.

15 August, 2017 20:02
We are now third in the table, with the second best run rate.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

That does put us in a good position if 4th placed team ends on 14 points.

15 August, 2017 20:08
So only Glamorgan to beat at their place on Friday evening, another doddle , we haven't beaten them in our 6 most recent goes.

Good win this evening but sneaking in the back door to an away quarter final was not what I envisaged when the Kiwi Dream Team was brought together not to mention the Fab 4.

15 August, 2017 21:26
This was an excellent performance, helped by runs from Paul Stirling, Stevie Eskinazi and Adam Voges, and wickets and economical bowling from Tim Southee, Steven Finn and Tom Helm. Finn’s figures were a career best on what I hope won’t be one of the last times I see him in Middlesex colours.

I wasn’t sure whether our 161-5 would be enough, as I could remember times when we have posted scores in that region, only for our opponents to be halfway to their target by the conclusion of the Powerplay. However, the match was as good as won when Gloucestershire reached that staged at 29-5. Apparently, teams are 90% likely to lose when they lose 3 wickets in the Powerplay, so the figure must surely be closer to 100% when they are 5 down.

Our net rate was actually better than leaders Glamorgan prior to this match, so the margin of victory has increased the difference.

Thursday sees Surrey play Gloucestershire at The Oval and Essex play Kent at Chelmsford. It would probably work in our favour if both matches are won the away side due to them having fewer points. Whatever happens, I am sure someone will work out the exact permutations ahead of Friday’s final round of matches.

It is great that we have finally beaten Gloucestershire in a Twenty20 match.

Eoin Morgan has spoken to our Audioboom page about this match

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 21:30
The hoodoo was well and truly broken. Superb bowling by Messrs Finn, Helm and Southee.

There were two hatrick balls on the night.

Wicket may have been a touch slow, but we on this occasion batted sensibly retaining wickets. Not usual for Mx.

13 off the last over including a six from the Tank gave us a defendable 161 if we bowled well, which we did, and pleasingly rattled their stumps a few times.

A very good crowd and the carpark was rammed. All in all, a good evening after many disappointing ones.

Steve Fimm Man of the Match.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/08/2017 21:31 by Seaxe_Man.

15 August, 2017 23:03
Those who have done the maths have worked out that victory for Middlesex at Glamorgan would guarantee qualification for the quarter-finals unless both Surrey and Essex win both of their final two group matches.

16 August, 2017 06:58
I note that the two 'fans' who clog up the club's Facebook page every time we lose didn't make a single post between them last night (not contributors on here).

They must be devastated.

Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 08:09
Oh, God .............

How typical of what the boys put us through (and of this season overall) by losing so ingloriously wherever possible in Slogfest cricket that they prolong the torture by now winning !!

Just when I was looking forward to being put out of my misery.

- As a country music song goes "Just enough to keep me hanging on".

"Please Release Me" feels more appropriate.

Come On You Taffs !!!!! FFS, win it. G'wan, you know you can.

Wayullls!!!!!! ................. Wayulls!!!!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net