cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Winning catch. More of the same at Taunton, please!

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Re: Surrey v Middlesex, 28-31 August
tallliman (IP Logged)
27 August, 2017 21:58
Interesting squad but I'm glad that TSRJ is available! I wonder how late the call for Holden was? If Gubbins is out for the rest of the season (or at least long enough to question him coming back), it seems a good call.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
27 August, 2017 22:38
A couple of weeks ago, Nick Gubbins told my dad that he hopes to return for the Yorkshire v Middlesex match beginning on Tuesday 5th September.

The weather forecast currently looks excellent for days one and two, bad for day three, and OK for day four.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
28 August, 2017 10:45
Holden, Sowter and Harris miss out.

We won the toss, and elected to bat.

28 August, 2017 14:38
Stirling crisis.

First ball duck.

131-4

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/08/2017 14:43 by chunkyinargyll.

tallliman (IP Logged)
28 August, 2017 15:50
162/6 and it feels from afar like a subsiding effort.

28 August, 2017 17:48
247 feels a bit below par, but commentators did praise good bowling, rather than bad batting, so maybe we can make some inroads tonight.

28 August, 2017 20:27
Need to make the new ball do the talking in the morning. Excellent day out a the Oval spoilt rather by the text from work telling me I had a 5:30am start in the morning .

28 August, 2017 21:58
It is difficult to know whether I should be happy or unhappy about how today went. 247 wasn’t the most imposing of totals, and it earned Middlesex only one batting point, but it could end up putting us in a good position in the match depending on how the next couple of innings go and how the pitch plays in the fourth innings. Toby Roland-Jones earned us some late momentum by dismissing both of Surrey’s openers before the close.

The day was going well when we were 131-2, but Stuart Meaker’s two wickets in two balls started a collapse which left us 163-7. At that point, I was doubtful that we would achieve one batting point, so it was a bit of a relief we ended up just shy of two points, even though I have loved another point.

After making 57, Sam Robson has spoken to our Audioboom page about today. It was also great that Adam Voges, John Simpson, Ollie Rayner and Steven Finn scored important runs.

I hope we won’t regret selecting only one full-time spinner. If we need an extra spin option(s), maybe Paul Stirling and/or Adam Voges will bowl.

Vithushan Ehantharajah has produced a report of today for Cricinfo

Surrey have a depleted side, with four teenagers playing. However, Ryan Patel (a portmanteau of Ryan Higgins and Ravi Patel?) and Amar Verdi look like they can become very handy players. Of course, their side is not as depleted as it could be, as some people would like to see Ben Foakes in the same side as Ben Stokes and Chris Woakes, while others would like Verdi to play alongside Andrew Strauss, Neil Wagner, Dean Elgar and Jamie Porter.

Lower Mound tried to use his Middlesex membership to get a free scorecard, but he was told only Surrey members were entitled to get it for free. Thankfully, a Surrey member came to his assistance. Whoever predicted our XI had not visited our treatment room or website, as Nick Gubbins, Ryan Higgins, Nathan Sowter and Tom Helm were named on the card at the expense of Voges, Stirling, Rayner and Roland-Jones. To be fair, Higgins is no longer on the treatment table, as he was practicing alongside Helm, Max Holden and James Harris, so he will hopefully be available again soon.

Surbiton crusader2 (IP Logged)
28 August, 2017 22:32
JW it's Amar Virdi not Verdi. My "free" scorecard I am both a member of Middlesex and Surrey got the umpires names wrong. Also the Middlesex scorer was "M.D. Smith". I don't know why lords sell scorecards for one pound they are just a sheet of card a complete ripoff

SC2

28 August, 2017 22:54
As I said, I am confident that Amar Virdi will have a good career. One of his main goals will surely be to go on to succeed Gareth Batty as Surrey’s main spinner, while enough goal will surely be to ensure that people are familiar enough with typing his name to be able to memorise how to correctly spell it.

28 August, 2017 23:00
I saw him get seven wickets in an innings for Surrey seconds against Sussex seconds at Horsham earlier this season. He has also played for England under 19s against their Indian counterparts also this summer. For a few years now I have been watching Amar play for Sunbury firsts he's in addition to his off spin a useful lower middle order batsman and slip fielder

SC2

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
28 August, 2017 23:06
He is also available for Four Seasins.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

28 August, 2017 23:32
No he isn't Kev but Antonio Vivaldi is... SC2

29 August, 2017 04:12
Did wonder quite why Max Holden was so chatty with most of the Surrey side, it would appear that he has captained most of them at under 19 level in the last year.

Game played in a good spirit if there can be such a thing when the umpire keeps sawing people off LBW and the Surrey over-appeal only used on a couple of occasions to the usual no avail.

Time to hit the roads for 9 days,here's to the start of Middlesex v Hampster at Uxbridge and a positive result over the next three days.

29 August, 2017 07:43
Not well promoted, but it should be possible to watch live video stream here-

[www.kiaoval.com]

29 August, 2017 17:26
In the end we've done very well to limit the Surrey lead to only 33.

Looked very ominous at one point.

29 August, 2017 18:30
I suppose that today was a fairly good day for Middlesex, as Surrey’s first innings lead of 33 could well end up not being enough considering they bat last. We gained a further psychological advantage by not losing any wickets before the close, although admittedly the bad light mean we only needed to face 6 of the scheduled 15 overs.

Well done to Toby Roland-Jones on taking four wickets. It was also nice that James Franklin and Adam Voges took a wicket apiece.

The bad light means that 104 overs will be scheduled tomorrow, although it is doubtful whether there will be any play, with rain forecast constantly from midnight to 6:00am and from 10:00am to 11:00pm. Time cannot be made up on Thursday, meaning that the only way more than 96 overs will be available is if the overs are bowled quickly.

29 August, 2017 22:23
Once again, Vithushan Ehantharajah has produced a report for Cricinfo.

It looks like Toby Roland-Jones was the player put in front of Middlesex’s Audioboom page, as his thoughts of today can be read in the Hampstead & Highgate Express. However, no Audioboom feature has been posted tonight.

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
30 August, 2017 14:36
No play today. Not best forecast for tomorrow.

30 August, 2017 18:09
Unless there are issues with the outfield’s recovery from today’s rain or with the light, it looks like a full session will take place before lunch tomorrow and that there will be at least half a session in the afternoon. However, there may not be much play after that.

I can’t see Middlesex getting into a position from which they can declare to set Surrey a target. However, it is still important we bat well during whatever play there is, as I would prefer it if we don’t give our followers some anxious moments!

Alongside Dawid Malan, Toby Roland-Jones has been named in England’s squad for their final Test v West Indies, which begins at Lord’s on Thursday 7th September. Therefore, even if they end up not being selected for England, they will be unable to play in our match v Yorkshire at Headingley beginning two days previously unless the player is either released from England’s squad by Tuesday or allowed to join the Yorkshire match as a substitute.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net