cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Winning catch. More of the same at Taunton, please!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Re: Yorkshire v Middlesex, 5-8 September
tallliman (IP Logged)
08 September, 2017 12:51
Wonder if there'll be any more play.

adelaide (IP Logged)
08 September, 2017 14:36
No play before tea.

What is our over rate, by the way?

Adelaide

Fozzie (IP Logged)
08 September, 2017 16:47
202-6, a bonus point each today. A declaration can't be far off.

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
08 September, 2017 17:06
Looks like we are going for 2 BP's . We need all we can get.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

adelaide (IP Logged)
08 September, 2017 17:45
We were going for 3 BPs but declared immediately Ollie was out. So one more BP than Yorkshire and 2 more than seemed likely at lunchtime.

I also see that Essex declared eight wickets down immediately they got to 200 against Lancashire.

Could it not be argued that both declarations were designed purely to deprive the fielding side of an opportunity to get the final bowling point, as they certainly weren't helping the declaring side get into better match position.

I presume we were OK on over rate.

Adelaide

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
08 September, 2017 17:53
Updated table (everyone played 11 matches)

Essex 186
Lancashire 150
Hampshire 127
Surrey 124
Yorkshire 114
Middlesex 114
Somerset 101
Warwickshire 71

Yorkshire have one more win than us, so occupy 5th place.

In arrowgate- umpires agreed to 'sort it' but forgot, and signed match off (see 'aving a laugh thread)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2017 17:54 by chunkyinargyll.

Fozzie (IP Logged)
08 September, 2017 18:06
There was more time left than I had thought when 200 was reached, but well done to Adam and Ollie to push on at quite a lick to get that 2nd bonus point and put us level with Yorkshire.

It would appear from the table published by BBC that our over rate was not a problem.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
08 September, 2017 18:13
My experience of following Middlesex told me that it wouldn’t be a formality that we would convert our overnight position of 108-3 into batting points, so at least we achieved two batting points and could have achieved a third had circumstances been different.

Well done to Adam Voges on scoring 65 not out and to Ollie Rayner on following his 38 and 30 v Surrey at The Oval with 37 today, with all three of those innings being vital to our hopes of either achieving batting points or saving the match. Rayner has now passed 3,000 first-class runs.

Our over rate better be OK, as I am certain we would have had enough time to bowl again had we declared at 250, while I think there may even had been enough overs left in the day for us to bowl again at the point when a draw was agreed.

Despite the positives there were from this match, it has been a bad few days for us, as we took one fewer bonus point than Yorkshire, we were administered with a two-point deduction for last week’s slow over rate during this match, and Somerset beat Warwickshire. We are now 13 points above the drop zone, so it is looking increasingly like our final match of the season v Somerset at Taunton will be a relegation decider unless we can pull clear of them in our next two matches.

adelaide (IP Logged)
08 September, 2017 18:39
Jonathan

It is not us or Somerset. It is any two from five. As it usually is at this stage of the season.

Adelaide

08 September, 2017 18:54
Maybe I exaggerated Middlesex's plight. However, whereas we have spent most of the season more than 24 points above the relegation zone and (apart from at the start of the season, before the table had truly taken shape) have not played a match in which defeat would take us into the bottom two, the situation is now that we are too close to the drop zone for comfort. Failure to beat Hampshire at Uxbridge coupled with Somerset beating Lancashire at Taunton could result in us finding ourselves in the bottom two, otherwise we would be just a few points outside.

We could definitely do with entering the final match of the season as many points as possible above Somerset so that we can pass our relegation worries to some other counties.

08 September, 2017 19:16

adelaide (IP Logged)
08 September, 2017 21:12
Quote:
adelaide
Jonathan
It is not us or Somerset. It is any two from five. As it usually is at this stage of the season.

Adelaide

Brain fade. One out of five to go with Warwickshire.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net