cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Winning catch. More of the same at Taunton, please!

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Middlesex v Hampshire, 12-15 September, Uxbridge
Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 19:37
Middlesex will enter this match 13 points ahead of second-bottom Somerset and 13 points behind opponents Hampshire, who are third and are probably the highest-placed side we can hope to catch. Therefore, despite fears the result of this match could drag us into or near the relegation zone depending on Somerset’s result v Lancashire at Taunton, a win for us would surely instead enable us to think of picking up prize money. Until I looked at the article on ECB’s website about prize money (which still shows 2016 figures, so I assume it remains unchanged), I thought that only the top four achieve prize money, but it actually goes down to fifth place.

We will be without Paul Stirling, Tim Murtagh (both due to Ireland’s ODI v West Indies on Wednesday) and Dawid Malan (due to England’s Twenty20 international v West Indies on Saturday). However, an article on Cricinfo suggests that Toby Roland-Jones will be allowed to play, which I doubt would have happened had the Lord’s Test not been so truncated. Potential replacements for Stirlo include Nick Gubbins, Max Holden and Ryan Higgins depending on those players’ fitness. It would be a shame if Gubbo is not fit, as it was hoped he would play v Yorkshire at Headingley, but he didn’t play in either that match nor the 2nd XI’s match v Sussex despite appearing on the scorecard for the latter match. Although Tom Helm will probably be available (unless he has an injury not revealed), it would be harsh if he was to play at James Harris’s expense.

I imagine that we would prefer the pitch for this match not to be conducive to spin, as Hampshire have Mason Crane and Liam Dawson, who have both been touted as being amongst the most talented spinners in England.

We have not won in 16 first-class matches (14 in the County Championship, 2 tourist matches) at Uxbridge since beating Leicestershire by 1 run in 1995, so once again, we find ourselves hoping that record will end. The weather forecast doesn’t look too bad, so that increases the chances of a result.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 18/09/2017 11:15 by BarmierKev.

Re: Middlesex v Hampshire, 12-15 September, Uxbridge
Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 15:52
Excellent overview JW. ECB have released Toby Roland-Jones and Mason Crane to play.

With Stirlo and Mala's absence. An opportunity for Max Holden?. Funny day today weatherwise.

Like April. Sunshine and showers.

11 September, 2017 17:07
There is a good chance that Max Holden’s Middlesex debut will finally come in this match, as an article in the Hampstead & Highgate Express, says that Nick Gubbins will miss this match with a hamstring injury. Thankfully, Gubbins seems to be on the road to recovery, as he is currently playing in a four-day 2nd XI match v Essex at Radlett, in which he scored 23. However, as nice as it would be if Holden plays, I am as keen as ever for Ryan Higgins to play. It seems strange that Middlesex’s squad is yet to be announced.

Hampshire have named a 12-man squad for this match consisting of Calvin Dickinson (21), Ian Holland (22), Sean Ervine (7), Tom Alsop (9), Mason Crane (32), Joe Weatherley (5), Jimmy Adams (4), Brad Wheal (58), Gareth Berg (13), Fidel Edwards (82), James Vince (14) Captain and Kyle Abbott (87). They are without George Bailey (playing for World XI in Pakistan) and Liam Dawson (England duty).

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 18:14
TRJ has a 'sore side' so won't play after all.

[www.middlesexccc.com]

Franklin(c), Barber, Compton, Eskinazi, Finn, Harris, Helm, Higgins, Holden, Rayner, Robson, Simpson (wk) Voges.

11 September, 2017 19:03
I didn’t expect Toby Roland-Jones to be unavailable. At least it means Tom Helm will probably return to the County Championship side. If Tom Barber gets the nod instead, it would mean that both his Twenty20 and Championship debuts for Middlesex would have come against former club Hampshire.

As I expected, we are set to field only one spinner in Ollie Rayner. Rayner has a tough job, as he is expected to take wickets and slip catches and give our innings a late boost by scoring runs and/or occupying the crease. Hopefully TRJ’s absence will reduce the likelihood of Rayner having to perform an additional duty of rescuing our over rate.

11 September, 2017 19:44
Come on Middlesex,time to give young Max a go in the firsts.

11 September, 2017 19:58
My 2 to drop out tomorrow Tom Barber & Ryan Higgins..

hdo (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 07:36
Much as I like Franklin and Higgins, I can't see them both playing today at the expense of Holden. Either Franklin, Higgins or Simpson would have to bat 5 if they all played.

Sincerely hope Harris and Helm (both excellent players in my opinion) can show what they're worth over the next few days.

hdo (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 08:54
"Seriously heavy rain overnight" and not looking good, according to Twitter.

12 September, 2017 08:57
I don't believe this.

I was looking forward to an uninterupted full days play.

I might find myself joining the ABU brigade.

Lord's I'm sure, would have been able to start on time.

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 09:19
To be fair to uxbridge MTS had similar issues. Sun out as I type and just hope pitch dries quickly.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Fozzie (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 10:14
Play abandoned for the day after 11.00 inspection. Unbelievable.

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 10:44
Water under the covers. There are now many ABFUs.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

12 September, 2017 10:49
Another completely forgettable day in a completely forgettable season.

Playing for bonus points again, with no realistic prospect of a result (unless some imaginative bargaining takes place).

12 September, 2017 10:55
Can you get points deducted for water under the covers?

It's not the same thing as a dangerous pitch, but if play should have been possible, but isn't, can you get a deduction for that?

We seem to be playing our own game of 'Pointless', were the object of the exercise is to score as little as possible.

12 September, 2017 10:57
Hopefully this will be the last time we ever play a championship fixture at this excuse for a cricket ground.

12 September, 2017 11:04
They started on time at Radlett this morning.

12 September, 2017 11:17
More heavy rain forecast tonight, but dry from about 2 am onwards.

What's the betting tomorrow will also be a write off?

Mr. Trellis. (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 11:19
Slash outside,

I agree with you wholeheartedly. This ground should be removed from the circuit forthwith. The facilities are abysmal. No raised seating, no cover/shade, primitive pitch and ground covering, traffic on a busy road only a few metres away creating air and noise pollution. Surely the worst and most soulless first-class cricket ground in the country-ever!

Does anybody, honestly, enjoy being there?

12 September, 2017 11:46
Well summed up Mr Trellis.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net