cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Winning catch. More of the same at Taunton, please!

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Re: Middlesex v Hampshire, 12-15 September, Uxbridge
12 September, 2017 13:11
I was about to set off from the wilds of Sussex, a mammoth journey to Uxbridge not far removed from the search for the source of the Nile, when I was dissuaded by the forecast for a heavy shower or two and the recollection that the outgrounds have had drainage issues.
I agree ABU, horrible place and a pig to get to. How about Arundel?

hdo (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 14:53
ECB investigation forthcoming, according to Cricinfo. This could be painful.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 15:01
As not at the game being out of the country on holiday/vacation.
Can someone enlighten me as to what actually happened,all I see is water under the covers.
Was it a leak? Not pinned down?
And a posting of ECB investigation?

Just What went on fully please....thanks.

Fozzie (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 15:45
Can't tell you exactly what happened, Beefy, but there was beautiful sunshine all morning though heavy overnight rain. The BBC website still has it that play was abandoned due to a wet outfield, but it looked perfectly playable - soft, but with no surface water anywhere.

All the attention was focused on the square, where heaters were employed to try to dry out the wicket and surrounding area. After the second inspection of the day play was called off for the day at just 11.15. Presumably water had seeped under the covers, though we will have to wait to find out exactly what happened. I'm guessing that the staff were aware of the possible outcome at quite an early stage, as when I arrived at the ground at 10.30 the ticket-seller was explaining the delay and saying that a ticket for today would be valid for tomorrow as well.

It's a lovely sunny afternoon, and the forecast for tomorrow is good as well. However, heavy rain is forecast this evening, so who knows what will happen?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2017 15:47 by Fozzie.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 15:52
'Overnight rain crept under sheets and covers'-

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 17:39
Quote:
Mr. Trellis.
Slash outside,
I agree with you wholeheartedly. This ground should be removed from the circuit forthwith. The facilities are abysmal. No raised seating, no cover/shade, primitive pitch and ground covering, traffic on a busy road only a few metres away creating air and noise pollution. Surely the worst and most soulless first-class cricket ground in the country-ever!

Does anybody, honestly, enjoy being there?

Your for UXIT then Mr Trellis. A couple of observations. None of our outgrounds run to raised seating or cover outside of the pavilions. Planning permission would be required apart from cost to so do..over the park an option..

As it happens, temporary stands have been put in at both Uxbridge and Southgate in the past, but the Club found the cost unjustified when few spectators used the facility.

Richmond also has a busy road only a few metres (or maybe yards)away generating noise and polution no doubt. But I guess they get on with it.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 18:11
Considering Middlesex can do without missing out on opportunities to pick up points, it is a big disappointment that no play could take place at Uxbridge today despite every other County Championship in the round seeing a prompt start and either a full or near-full day’s play. The fact I believe our 2nd XI played a full day at Radlett, another outground 11 miles away, rubs salt into the wound.

However, the ultimate insult would be if a points deduction of any description is imposed. I would like to think that ECB will come to the decision that today’s washout was more to do with misfortune or with the facilities simply being inferior to main grounds than it was to do with any fault on the part of Middlesex CCC or Uxbridge Cricket/Sports Club (I can’t work out what name they go by).

Hopefully the ground will not suffer any ill effects from tonight’s rain. If it can deal better with this upcoming rain than it dealt with the earlier rain, then there will be 104 overs available over the next two days.

Thankfully, as we are currently the right side of the relegation zone, I wouldn’t consider us to be desperate enough for it to be the case that we need this match to produce a result. However, if Somerset beat Lancashire, as could happen, then an inability to beat Hampshire would end up being costly.

The fact Lord’s staged a Test which was due to finish yesterday (although it actually finished on Saturday) means that scheduling this match there would have been difficult. However, it wouldn’t be physically impossible, even if that involves playing on the same pitch, although Lower Mound says that the official reason why this match can’t be played there is due to Cross Arrows playing on the Nursery Ground.

Lower Mound went today, but returned home to collect one of the passes for the The Oval he had kindly been given by a Surrey member. It wouldn’t surprise me if a few other people who intended to spend the day at Uxbridge instead went to The Oval today. Surrey are doing us a favour, as their day one total of 398-3 means that Yorkshire will hopefully achieve only one bowling point and be faced with a total well in excess of 550.

Richard Scott has spoken to our Audioboom page about today.

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 18:11
My main issue with loss of a days play is this was avoidable. Fortunately, I had a last minute plan B thanks to the Fozzies who also missed out today.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 18:14
Quote:
hdo
ECB investigation forthcoming, according to Cricinfo. This could be painful.

I await the cricinfo report on the Lords floodlights which we are unable to use other than for T20.

That has certainly affected the result of a couple of games not to our advantage.

I hope that cricinfo information proves to be more accurate than the their report on Steve Finn making a move.

12 September, 2017 18:20
Cross Arrows?
Thought that was at the Oval the other day.

12 September, 2017 19:16
Richard Scott's attitude appears to be that it was just unfortunately one of those things that couldn't be helped. But to say anything else would have been unwise, as we might get a points deduction. Hopefully umpires will agree with Scott.

12 September, 2017 19:39
Why was it left to Richard Scott to do the interview. I would have thought this would have come from our managing director Gus Fraser to explain what exactly went on this morning at uxbridge.

12 September, 2017 20:12
Nice to see the ABUs out in force today.

Any suggestions any of you (don't mind who comes up with one) as to where this round of fixtures could have been played.

Lord's in post Test Match mode.

Radlett has a twos fixture on.

Merchant Taylors are back at school thus leaving Uxbridge as about the only option,that's unless you ABUs can offer something helpful rather than just scathing criticism of Uxbridge with little or no knowledge of what actually happened over night at the ground.

It ain't the prettiest ground but at least it is in the County and huge amounts of effort go into getting this game on. I am sorry it is too far out of London for some of you to travel but hey ho them's the breaks folks.

On the covers front more were due to arrive from MT's in the afternoon,just hope they got there with enough of them before this evenings deluge fell.

12 September, 2017 20:25
Southgate

12 September, 2017 20:31
Diamond- What is in doubt (none of us know yet) is if it really was 'one of those things that couldn't be helped' or if Uxbridge came up short in some way. It was water getting in under the covers that meant no play- not a wet outfield.

Water shouldn't be able to seep in under the covers. Don't know if a pitch inspector has been summoned, or if the umpires' report will suffice.

If couldn't be helped I guess we're in the clear. If not- another points deduction.

12 September, 2017 20:35
Richard Scott seems to think if/when we get any play, wickets will tumble rapidly, due to aforementioned water getting on pitch.

13 September, 2017 05:08
Southgate !!

Do me a favour,not played there in years,so there must be a reason for that.On the accessibility front it makes Uxbridge a short walk.

Apart from being in the north of the county Southgate ticks most of the boxes Uxbridge does, poor access,no raised seating,ok I'll give it the road isn't exactly a main one (more like a cart track smiling smiley ) , poor player facilities with in the past some very unsavoury incidents occurring ie theft of players stuff while the game was on.

Is the ground up to county standard,are the wickets able to take 4 day cricket ? All questions that would need asking and most of all is the clubs association with the County in a good state at the moment and how much would they charge to put on a game?

13 September, 2017 06:50
Diamond.
You asked for an alternative to uxbridge I gave you one. We don't know the real reason why we left southgate in the first place and probably never will. I don't live anywhere near uxbridge or southgate and have a considerable journey to reach both grounds. You must agree that we were more successful in winning games at southgate then we have ever been at uxbridge that is one reason I would like to return there. Perhaps you can come up with an alternative to uxbridge.

13 September, 2017 08:22
Club has tweeted play will start on time today.

13 September, 2017 09:10
We've been put in to bat.

Max Holden makes debut (at expense of Ryan Higgins)

Tom Barber the other one left out.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net