cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Winning catch. More of the same at Taunton, please!

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Re: Middlesex v Hampshire, 12-15 September, Uxbridge
13 September, 2017 09:40
Good to see Max finally get his debut (about 4 games later than it should have been if you ask me),hope the lad goes well,he certainly has the talent.If he can pick up where he left off after his loan spell at Northants we will be ok.

Slash,alternatives to Uxb are few and far between,MT's in the holidays would be the least worst option as they have good wickets and adequate equipment to cover properly,trouble is ECB schedule a whole heap of T20 and no CC in the hols nowadays,Radlett is also an option but it's access makes Ux and Southgate look simple.

I'd take the game right out of the county and play it either at Berkshires ground or Wormsley. Trouble is with all out grounds the cost of set up and hiring the ground in the first place allowing for the teams that play there using it.

Best option of the lot still remains get hold of a rich sugar daddy who wants a summer plaything and buy the old Barclays sports ground on the North Circular below Hanger Lane,then we can play all our home games there and keep the gate and beer money smiling smiley

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 13:43
Just how bad was today's unexpected rain that play is now abandoned for the day?

Fozzie (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 13:43
Play abandoned for the day at 2.40 following a heavy shower after lunch.

13 September, 2017 14:43
Franklin: Ten minutes worth of rain put paid to 5 hours of cricket-

[audioboom.com]

And Max Holden gives an interview-

[audioboom.com]

13 September, 2017 16:48
I was still at home when a deluge of rain (with hail) hit Ealing.

I said goodbye to the engineer who had fixed my dishwasher,grabbed my coat and legged it for a bus to Uxbridge,more in hope than anything else.

I got as far as Ealing hospital before seeing on Cricinfo "stumps" had been called. Shame I was on the fast bus,had to wait till Southall to get off,cross he road and return home.

That was not the only rain of the day,some earlier and lots overnight looks like it was just too much for he ground to take even after the groundstaffs valiant efforts last night.

We go again tomorrow,up the Middle!!

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 17:21
Today was another disappointing day, as Middlesex’s pursuit of batting points and a satisfactory total hasn’t got off to the best of starts, while Lancashire’s performance v Somerset has been worse than our performance in this match. If Somerset win, we will be below them unless we either draw this match with five bonus points or we win. Whether or not being below Somerset would take us into the bottom two would depend on how our tally of points from this match compares with what Yorkshire achieve v Surrey. After achieving only one bowling point, Yorkshire look like achieving a few batting points, although hopefully they won’t win.

It doesn’t look there is any threat of rain until 2:00pm tomorrow, so hopefully lots of play can take place. However, Friday isn’t looking too good.

I would like to think that the fact we have seen off 30.1 overs means that batting may not be too difficult upon resumption when we aim to pick up some batting points. Even if batting remains difficult, as there is a high possibility it could, then hopefully that would mean we can instead pick up some bowling points, and it would also open the possibility of us defending a fourth innings target if the weather makes little or no intervention.

It is nice that Max Holden has finally made his Middlesex debut.

Well done to Sam Robson on passing 8,000 first-class runs.

Injury to James Vince in the warm-up means that Hampshire have had to select Felix Organ. If this turns out to be the first of many appearances for Organ, his brain will no doubt become bored of the inevitable banter that will come his way due to his name, but hopefully he won’t take it to heart.

Vithushan Ehantharajah has produced a report of today for Cricinfo, and mentions the effort put in by the staff at Middlesex and Uxbridge to get some play in. He also says that the reason why we are yet to play a County Championship match at Radlett despite our investment in the ground and despite the fact we have implied in the past that we would like to play there, is that we have doubts about the quality of the pitch there.

Penguinsaremine (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 18:07
Why the hell are we playing on a outground in the middle of September?? What do you expect...90 degree temperatures and bright sunshine all day? If we didn't play 6 weeks of 20/20 Mickey Mouse cricket in the middle of summer then we wouldn't have this problem. It's all about the money / revenue..whatever you want to call it.

The mighty Penguin

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 19:00
I am not sure whether it would have been possible to have engineered the fixturelist in a way that would have enabled Middlesex’s one home County Championship match at an outground to take place mid-season. If it happened, it may have involved changes to our fixturelist and/or the schedule of the various matches staged by Lord’s, which can’t have been easy. If there was no possibility of the date changing for the third Test between England v West Indies at Lord’s, maybe our fixturelist could have changed by us being allocated an away match this week, with us obviously having an extra home match earlier in the season.

It wouldn’t have been beyond the wit of man to play this match at Lord’s, although the groundstaff there would have struggled to find the time to prepare a fresh pitch due to the Test, meaning the alternative would have been starting this match on a day six pitch previously used for the Test. However, with the Test being low-scoring, I doubt this would have been a runfest had it been played on the same pitch. I always wonder how County Championship matches would fare if they were played on used pitches.

Considering there doesn’t seem to be many people involved with Middlesex (whether they be player, coach, hierarchy or supporter) who gain enjoyment from the idea of us playing at Uxbridge, it is a wonder why we keep on playing there. I have never read or heard anything about the club having an agreement or contractual obligation to play there year after year, but maybe such an agreement exists without us knowing about it. I assume we have an agreement with MCC to play at least one Championship match each season away from Lord's. However, if MCC were to inform us that we can play every Championship match and/or more limited-overs matches at Lord's, surely we would bite their hands off.

Despite our difficulties in getting play in this match, I don’t think there were any problems playing when we played County Championship matches v Kent and Derbyshire there in September 2009, so it is clearly possible to play there late in the season, albeit only if the weather is kind.

Edgedtothekeeper (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 07:46
This fixture should be played at Radlett - but the issue that it is not in Middlesex. How much longer can the powers that be preventing this from happening?
The players love Radlett as do the staff. You know what you're going to get when you play there. The fact that the 2nd eleven played their game is testament to it. They even had a reduced cover count because some went to Uxbridge to help them.

If you have a look at how the limited over games have gone there, excluding the results, it has been a great place to play cricket.

Another issue I see is that if Radlett is given a 4 day game, it will stay there. Which will not be a good thing - according to certain committee members who select which games go to which out grounds.

Fozzie (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 09:08
Early lunch to be taken at Uxbridge. Fine weather forecast for this morning, but heavy overnight rain again. They might just get some play in before the rain arrives this afternoon.

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 09:17
At least today I haven't left home before discovering this news. I'm not sure if it's worth bothering. Meanwhile Somerset are likely to win.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

14 September, 2017 09:29
Fozzie-

This is a joke- yes?

I know I'm 430 miles away, but met forecast overnight didn't seem bad- 30% chance of rain forecast from 2 pm today- so could be another blank day.

I've gone from complacently thinking the R word was the remotest of remote possibilities to now being seriously worried.

You can bet your life if Somerset have more points than us going in to the final round Taunton will be a motorway, for a draw. And, if they need a win, it will be Ciderabad, with a result guaranteed in two days, and one session.

From being down and out a couple of weeks ago, they could end up holding all the aces in the last match.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 10:45
Has there been so much rain?
Looking at scores elsewhere Somerset appear to be getting a win that could see them jump above us,and,we would be having a scenario same as two years ago vs Lancashire.
Could we bring an extra super soaking up thingy from Radlett,or,even Lord's to assist in trying to clear the damp/wet outfield?
Has there been any comments made by committee members about the happenings?
Just wondering as looking in from afar with a glum feel about me at the moment

Fozzie (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 11:23
Most of the heavy rain in the past few days has been overnight, though there were some short heavy showers yesterday. There's been no rain this morning. As has been mentioned elsewhere, the 2nd XI game at Radlett doesn't seem to have suffered anything like as much delays.

14 September, 2017 13:08
An early tea will be taken, with a further inspection at 3 pm.

I don't believe it.

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 13:26
They lost one over at Oval so far in Yorkie game

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Edgedtothekeeper (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 13:38
I refer to the comment made by myself at 08:46 this morning. Nothing to add really.

Regards,

Edgedtothekeeper

WayOutWest (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 13:40
Does anybody think we deserve to stay up? I voiced the opinion on here after winning the title that we needed to strengthen. Not many agreed. Essex went down the kolpak route and have a spinner that turns the ball.

Voges goes home injured and we don't bother hiring a replacement. Why? Because we are so good we don't need to.

I love our county but the decisions made from that glorious title winning day to now have been at best, complacent. At worst rank incompetent.

Division Two next year looking probable now. Thanks Compo Franklin etc but you are are nowl past it. Sign a decent all rounder, a spinner, make Simmo captain and please no Uxbridge. This is coming from someone who has always enjoyed going there because it is friendly and a nice viewing ground. However, this week a step too far. Why can't we play at Richmond? I've been saying that for ten years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/09/2017 13:42 by WayOutWest.

14 September, 2017 14:03
3,30 start.

Unless it starts to rain at 3.29

hdo (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 14:06
Disaster as Franco goes out to inspect the wicket and a single drop of sweat falls from his forehead onto the pitch, immediately ruining all propects of play at Uxbridge for the next 11 years.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net