cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Winning catch. More of the same at Taunton, please!

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Re: Middlesex v Hampshire, 12-15 September, Uxbridge
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 15:25
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
3,30 start.
Unless it starts to rain at 3.29

And it's raining.

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 15:57
I'm at home all day looking at outside sunshine. I get an alert play due to start 330. I walk out the door the sky changes to grey and then it rains. Rumour play is going to start 415 but doubt it. I won't be waiting for result of tomorrow's 1pm inspection.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

WayOutWest (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 16:05
A draw is no good to either side. Any chance of a forfeit/contrived finish to the game? That would take good weather and imaginative thinking. Both sadly lacking of late.

Fozzie (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 16:21
Surprise surprise - play starts for the day at 4.15.

hdo (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 17:56
148/6, so batting bonus points look unlikely at this point. Ouch.

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 18:12
We have a choice. We do rain dances over Taunton or hire William Tell to do a job there.

Barmy Kev

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 18:12
After so much false hope that play would start, it is a relief that it finally happened, although admittedly Middlesex still seem far away from registering a first bonus point. Even if we end up facing sufficient overs to pass 200, we could end up being all out before then and thus achieving no batting points and with little time to gain bowling points considering rain is forecast tomorrow afternoon. Therefore, maybe it would have actually been a good idea to have come to the decision yesterday or today that there is more time for bowling points to be achieved than batting points, and that we should have declared at some point, which is something I am confident we would have had the right to do.

Tomorrow's forecast for Taunton is worse than Uxbridge, which gives me hope that Lancashire can deny Somerset victory.

Lower Mound once again chose going to The Oval over going to Uxbridge today. At least Yorkshire failed to achieve a fifth batting point and were made to follow-on, although surely Surrey won’t have enough time or energy to inflict defeat.

As unpopular as Uxbridge is amongst our supporters, I am doubtful that Radlett would prove much more popular, mainly because it is located outside the London zonal system. However, if the conditions are more conducive to getting cricket in and/or Middlesex winning, then playing there would obviously be in our interests. I don't think playing County Championship cricket at Richmond is seen as an option, with the reason given for that I think being that the pitch isn't good enough. I am not sure what the situation is with Southgate, as I heard that there was a disagreement a few years ago between the officials at Middlesex and Southgate.

14 September, 2017 18:58

14 September, 2017 19:49
I cannot see why Radlett being outside the (former) county boundary is a factor. It seems to be the most popular outground. If we only have one 4 day fixture a year away from Lords why not?

The most unspeakable outcome of the season would be relegation by 1 point due to the 2 point deduction.

14 September, 2017 19:57
If we do get relegated the likelyhood is it will be by 15 points or less, which could be explained by very few points in this current rain ruined game, and not enforcing the follow on against Essex.

14 September, 2017 21:49
^ and getting naff all batting/bowling points all season.

Nought to blame but ourselves.

14 September, 2017 22:00

WayOutWest (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 06:48
Somerset have lost a lot of games by agonising margins. They will win today, draw with or beat Surrey and beat us in the last game.

Middlesex HAVE to beat Lancashire and pray that Yorkshire somehow come unstuck against Warwickshire. Essex should beat them in the last game and Surrey still could today.

I make Middlesex 1/2 to be relegated, Yorkshire 5/4 and Somerset 4/1.

15 September, 2017 12:05
Somerset have won, and are now on 123 points.

Unless we bowl Hampshire out we are going to end the day behind them.

15 September, 2017 12:30
A bowling point on the stroke of lunch.

Every little helps.

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 12:41
Wonder what over rate is?

Barmy Kev

Haringey Racer (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 14:27
Quote:
BarmierKev
Wonder what over rate is?

No penalty unless we bowl for more than four hours, so we should be OK.

Fozzie (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 14:30
9 wickets down, maximum bowling points - and the Bears relegated, I believe.

Not sure how much longer before it starts raining in Uxbridge, but a fine performance in the field today. Hopefully the lads can carry this over into next week.

15 September, 2017 16:24
Middlesex averages-

[www.bbc.co.uk]

and points table

Essex 209
Lancashire 153
Surrey 136
Hampshire 135
Yorkshire 124
Somerset 123
Middlesex 123
Warwickshire 74

Essex champions, Warwickshire relegated, Somerset have one more win than us, so are ahead of us in the table.

15 September, 2017 18:17
I am very happy with Middlesex’s performance today. It was vital that we reached 200, as I had it in my head that we could have changed tactics by declaring at some point in our innings to give us more time to achieve bowling points, meaning the time we devoted to our innings could have ended up being a complete waste of time had it ended up not yielding any points. Of course, the ease with which we achieved three bowling points meant I needn’t have worried about us leaving insufficient time. I suppose it wasn’t a big surprise that it was a great day for bowling, as the pitch may have been exposed to rain in the last few days, and it was a day four pitch.

It was an excellent performance for John Simpson to help us pass 200 considering his final wicket partnership with Steven Finn began with 31 still needed.

It was great that James Harris apparently bowled well.

The character we showed in this match gives me hope we can keep ourselves in division one.

James Franklin has spoken to our Audioboom page about today.

Cricinfo has produced a report of today.

The big disappointment of today was that the forecast for there to be rain all day at Taunton today turned out to be incorrect.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net