cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Winning catch. More of the same at Taunton, please!

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7

Re: Team selection v Lancashire
adelaide (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 15:06
Yes, Finny! Long time since he's blown a team over on his own.

With no TRJ I presume we had no over rate issues.

Adelaide

rod/ed (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 15:06
Finn, player of the month for September?

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 15:10
Get in there,looked a damn good,nail biting,nerve jangling game to watch
So,what does this win mean to our survival chances?
Finny,my sponsored player this year...player of month for September!

Oh well,can have my morning coffee feeling better now with this win..Boston here I come smiling!!

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 15:15
What it means is next week will definitely be a result wicket.

Best Somerset can hope for is a draw v Surrey.

Yorkshire may, or may not beat Warwickshire.

That's their problem.

At least I can relax now.

21 September, 2017 15:21
Table (doesn't include bonus points in uncompleted games).

[www.bbc.co.uk]

If Somerset draw, they will be on 132 v our 143.

Lose to Surrey, and they will be on 127.

Unexpected, miraculous win, and they would be equal with us on 143.

Edit to add- If Somerset did manage a totally unlikely win V Surrey, then Surrey would only get 8 points, and would be in trouble themselves on 144.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/09/2017 15:26 by chunkyinargyll.

mglinert (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 16:12
You're never quite sure with Middlesex but I can't see us going down now.

tbl (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 16:33
Fantastic result! A draw v Somerset should be sufficient to survive irrespective of other results.

adelaide (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 16:35
Quote:
mglinert
You're never quite sure with Middlesex but I can't see us going down now.

I can. It is quite likely going to be from 3. It is quite plausible that "all" Somerset will have to do to stay up is beat us. We are playing on Ciderabad, most likely, with our usual spinner and TRJ presumably dounts, and Patel and Sowter having played one CC match each this season. OK, Yorkshire have to play Essex but if (as seems likely) they beat Warwickshire they will just need to match whatever points we get.

The safety cushion of those two extra points would have been useful. Starting to feel like Old Trafford three years ago.

Adelaide

21 September, 2017 16:37
Agreed Adelaide.

Unless two days are lost to rain next week, Taunton will produce a result.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 18:25
It is brilliant that Middlesex won this match. Although it is surely too early to say that the result has made has safe, it means we are likely to go into the final round of matches in a good position and with less to worry about than opponents Somerset and - depending on other results - possibly other counties. The result means we have equalled Hampshre, Yorkshire and Somerset’s tally of three wins so far (although any number of those teams could end up winning tomorrow), which is the first tie breaker, and have lost fewer matches than Yorkshire and Somerset, which is the second tie breaker, which gives this win extra significance. Once this round of matches is over, it will be easier to work out what exactly we and everyone else needs from next week.

I am proud that Steven Finn took his second-best first-class bowling figures of 8-79. He and Adam Voges have spoken to our Audioboom page about this match.

The match made tense listening, but at least we won in the end. As was also the case when we beat Warwickshire at Edgbaston, I briefly strained my hamstring jumping on my seat when the final wicket fell! Because of this strain, I wished to walk it off, but I had to keep sitting down to listen to the commentary for a few more seconds to confirm that the umpires had ruled that the catch was clean!

It was a relief when Haseeb Hameed had to go off injured, and the quest to find out whether or not he would return added to the tension. A part of me feels guilty for feeling relief about his injury, but another part of me is unapologetic considering we ended the match with just three bowlers after Ollie Rayner damaged an intercostal side muscle to join Toby Roland-Jones in the metaphorical treatment room. I say ‘metaphorical’, as Rayner was thankfully able to stay on the field to catch Ryan McLaren, while I think Rayner's fielding also saved some runs.

It is a big blow that Voges says that Rayner is unlikely to be fit for next week’s match v Somerset at Taunton, as many expect the pitch to be conducive to spin, in which case Nathan Sowter would have to lead our spin attack and surely Ravi Patel would make would would have previously been an unexpected appearance. If it is a result pitch, it is doubtful that we will be able to play for a draw, so I suppose we will just have to make sure we play better than Somerset.

21 September, 2017 18:45
Yprkshire will be on 145 points if they beat Warwickshire tomorrow (which seems likely)

That means Yorkshire would have to lose badly against Essex next week to go down (collect two fewer bonus points than us if we lose) so it will almost certainly be Somerset or Middlesex that get relegated.

We are likely to be 11 (maybe 16) points ahead of Somerset, but that is almost irrelevant, because which ever team wins next week stays up at the expense of the other.

As Somerset have to win to stay up, it will be a result wicket.

We certainly can't relax yet. Next week it is either us or them.

21 September, 2017 18:49
Having advocated dropping Finn earlier in the thread I am sure he read my post and set out to make me look an idiot.

Muntjac (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 19:02
He didn't need to Freddie. Just joking. I am pleased about the result obviously but sad my day at Lord's is no longer going to occur. Zero days this season for my membership! Still great value!

21 September, 2017 19:26
If feel it is too complicated to work out the various permutations for next week until the results of this round of matches are known.

What I have worked out is that Somerset lose tomorrow, then they would have to beat Middlesex and take one more bonus point than us to finish above us (assuming there are no points deductions). Unless Somerset win tomorrow, we would finish above them in the event of the teams being level on points due to us losing fewer matches.

21 September, 2017 22:03
Get the results in from this week look at them and then go to Somerset and win and we are safe ..... simple.

Superb 4, sorry 3 days of county cricket,a low scoring game on a dodgy pitch at Lord's but great fun to watch and I just about broke even on my membership this year (even without tomorrow being played).

Fair play to Lancs they gave it a go,even Hameed with a bust up hand was sent out again to see if he could get them over the line which he couldn't due to an inspired bowling performance from Hi Fi.

8 fer from any bowler this late in the season is bound to get noticed by the selectors for the Oz tour, have your passport handy Steven. smiling smiley

21 September, 2017 22:16
Cricinfo has produced a report of today.

It would be a great story if Steven Finn can force his way onto this winter's Ashes tour considering his experiences on England's last two tours of Australia. In 2010/11, he was top wicket-taker from either side three Tests into the series, but was dropped due to his economy of 4.30. In 2013/14, the less said about his experience and that of England, the better. I don't think he is quite off England's radar, so his performance today will have come at the right time, and will give him a great chance of getting into the Ashes squad in the event of any issues with those currently ahead in the pecking order.

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net