cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Winning catch. More of the same at Taunton, please!

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7

Re: Team selection v Lancashire
Fozzie (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 13:16
54-2, and the umpires have taken them off for bad light. Hopefully won't take too long, though there is low cloud which isn't moving.

Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 16:00
I watched from our second dig score being 7 - 0 until we were taken off for the second time due to bad light, with Simmo looking his usual wonderfully positive self, and Sam being the difference between ..............I dread to think what kind of score and respectability. Currently 88- 4.

This is an absolute pig of a pitch.

Compo and Sam had several pop at them from the Pavillion End, while there were as many shooters from the Nursery.

Eski got an horrendous lifter onto his bottom hand when he was still on 0, needed 10 mi nutes with the spray etc.... and the one that bowled him ............. can someone else talk us through that. I think it was subterranean.

Dawid was lbw from a terrible one that kept low after he had looked at his creamy best. One beautiful deflection for four to the third man Warner Stand was just sooooo dreamy.

Voges -I am afraid - looked out of touch, was beaten regularly by McLaren before being put out of his misery by the same, and seemed to be trying to get himself going by running lots of quick singles with Sam.

Sam's effort is a masterpiece of total concentration and application. This 49 - at the time of writing - will have taken him more effort than some tons!!!

I blame these playing conditions entirely on the Exterminate Cricket Board.

In due course, they will scratch their heads and wonder why they are short of batsmen and bowlers in form during the Test Season - because no one is playing any long format cricket then. Local clubs closing left, right and centre. traditionally strong clubs now struggling to put out two teams on a Saturday, none on Sunday's!

But never mind, we've either got everyone vaguely talented under some form of central contract or we've got the county concerned in hock to us, but who cares - we've got loads in the bank?

AND .........we can sell Tests to counties at a massive profit, and they can make their money from the suits and blazers (Stuff the normal paying punter!!!) and all can pay over the odds for beer and burgers.

Exterminate Cricket!

Exterminate Cricket!

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 16:12
At least it's a result wicket, Primrose.

A high risk strategy (to ask for a result wicket) because it doesn't automatically mean the result goes our way.

9 wickets down, and the lead just over 200 as I type. Probably already enough, but I would have liked us to set them 270 to feel really confident.

20 September, 2017 16:14
All out.

Lanky set 221 to win.

Fozzie (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 16:27
Since Primrose's post Harris and Ollie have been out LBW to shooters that hardly got above ankle height. Robbo and Simmo, playing well, both got out to excellent catches by Jarvis when going for their shots. They looked intent on gathering runs while they could before the inevitable happened.

Toby has not appeared for the Lancs 2nd innings.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 20/09/2017 16:41 by Fozzie.

20 September, 2017 16:38
I was surprised when no one replied to this link when I posted it a week ago-

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Mick Hunt to retire.

Okay- it's only the Daily Fail saying it, and I don't know were he got his info from.

Mick Hunt goes on 'holiday' and we finally get a result strip.

Maybe he wasn't willing to do it himself.

snicko (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 16:47
I think Gus has sent him to Benidorm for a weeks (all inclusive).

"Treat the Mrs, Mick - we'll handle it here in your absence".

adelaide (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 16:53
It's not just this strip though. The Yorkshire wicket became very difficult as the match wore on and the Warwickshire pitch wasn't much better. Then there was the West Indies test wicket. Perhaps the fungus that it is visible through the rings has had more effect than we were told before the test. Perhaps Mr Hunt is actually in somewhere exotic looking for the antidote.

I'd rather be in our position than Lancashire's but we are a class bowler down, it seems.

Oh, we're playing again...

Adelaide

Fozzie (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 17:07
Breaking news from Will McPherson of the Guardian: TRJ has had a scan that has proved inconclusive. He will have further tests tomorrow, but will play no further part in this match.

Yikes.

20 September, 2017 17:08
Kevin Hand has a Jonathan Agnew moment-

Toby Roland- Jones will take no further part in this match due to ongoing stiffness,,,,,

20 September, 2017 17:11
The childish giggling continues.....

smiling bouncing smiley

hdo (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 17:16
I would've felt a lot happier with a target of 270, but I believe we can do it if we bowl properly and hold our catches. Huge huge day coming up tomorrow.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 17:17
For Middlesex to be all out for 152 was disappointing, although that and the above posts gives me confidence that we have an excellent chance of defending the target of 221 that we set Lancashire. It was very valuable that Sam Robson posted 58 and John Simpson posted 33.

It would be a big blow if Toby Roland-Jones is unable to bowl in this innings It is a big blow that while I was writing this paragraph, it was announced that Toby Roland-Jones can’t bowl in this innings, although thankfully an attack of Tim Murtagh, Steven Finn, James Harris and Ollie Rayner still sounds strong. When TRJ returned to Middlesex after England duty, I don’t think anyone was aware that he had a side problem which would cause him to miss last week’s match v Hampshire at Uxbridge and to restrict his involvement in this match. Considering he is an England bowler, I was looking forward to having TRJ available for the conclusion of our season. If he can’t play v Somerset at Taunton next week, I would like to think we would be able to cope without him, as Tom Helm would be a more than adequate replacement, plus it is uncertain that we will select four fast bowlers.

It is worrying that - in between the commentators corpsing about TRJ’s stiff side - it sounds like we are leaking runs at the moment.

With Surrey closing day two 59 ahead of Somerset with four wickets remaining, I am hopeful Surrey will win that match. If Surrey win, then that would mean that a Middlesex win v Lancs would put us in an excellent position ahead of next week’s match at Taunton and that a Middlesex defeat v Lancs wouldn’t be the end of the world.

20 September, 2017 17:35
That didn't go very well.

Can only hope the usual 3 pr 4 wickets fall in the first hour tomorrow.

If only there was some way we could get rid of TRJ's stiffness......

20 September, 2017 17:59
Quote:
Jonathan Winsky
With Surrey closing day two 59 ahead of Somerset with four wickets remaining, I am hopeful Surrey will win that match. If Surrey win, then that would mean that a Middlesex win v Lancs would put us in an excellent position ahead of next week’s match at Taunton and that a Middlesex defeat v Lancs wouldn’t be the end of the world

I should add that unless Somerset take 3 wickets in the next 8 overs, they will end with 4 bonus points and will thus have as many bonus points from their match as Middlesex took v Lancashire.

Hopefully we will not have to rely on Surrey to find comfort from tomorrow.

Rain is forecast at about 4:00pm tomorrow, although the match at Lord’s could be all over by then.

20 September, 2017 18:29

20 September, 2017 19:20

20 September, 2017 19:33
We may need the assistance of the local archery club if Lanky get close.

Muntjac (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 06:17
I assume we all agree this will be over today? Which scuppers my one and only visit to Lord's this season which was planned for tomorrow.

21 September, 2017 07:46
No rain about today.

The game will finish today, with victory for one side or the other.

Crucial first hour.

Battle.

(Sm137)

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net