cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Winning catch. More of the same at Taunton, please!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Ryan Higgins moves to Gloucestershire
Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 22:51
I hope that a comment made by Will Macpherson on the Guardian’s live blog that Ryan Higgins will leave Middlesex this winter due to lack of first-team opportunities is not true. This would be a blow, as most people anticipate that he will, within a year or two, become a regular in all formats in the crucial position of all-rounder. I doubt I would be the only person sad if this news is true. However, as his contract is about to expire, there is every chance he will leave.

If he leaves, it is vital we sign an all-rounder either this winter or the next, as we have often struggled to fill the void left by Gareth Berg’s departure in 2014. Neil Dexter did well in this role but left in 2015, while many feel that James Franklin hasn’t bowled enough overs to be considered as an all-rounder, although he is contracted for another year. It was thought that Higgo could give us more than a decade of not having to worry about needing an all-rounder, but it seems like we are back to square one. In our 2nd XI, I believe that George Scott and Martin Andersson are candidates to step up a level. Maybe Higgo has been advised that we will sign an all-rounder this winter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2017 19:49 by Jonathan Winsky.

Re: Ryan Higgins to leave Middlesex?
snicko (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 04:54
Apparently heading for Bristol - strange choice (if true) ?

WayOutWest (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 05:32
Terrible news. Our most consistent T20 player and has played well in 4 day cricket. I'm starting to have doubts about the direction we are going in. Give the older players long contracts so they creep into complacency, let the future of the club leave.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 06:09
RH has the potential to replace Franklin at 7 if only he would be patient for one more year.

His match tying 68* against Gloucestershire clearly impressed his opponents far more than any of us would have wanted,

If he had made 0 that day this wouldn't be happening.

Playing for the 2's this week, which might mean all is not yet lost. If if was a done deal, he probably wouldn't be playing.

Complete obscurity with Gloucestershire is an odd ambition for a young man to have.

20 September, 2017 06:16
JW-

Both George Scott and Martin Andersson have scored good runs for the 2's this year, but neither are taking enough wickets (even in 2's) for me to think they could be more than batsmen who bowl a bit.

When he started with us, Andersson was the other way round.

snicko (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 08:02
Higgins is a batsman - his red ball bowling is the weakest part of his skill set.
Handy white ball bowler in suitable conditions but he is primarily a batsman.

Will start in all 3 formats for Glos - we will miss his T20 finishing.

rod/ed (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 14:44
This seems most odd. During his podcast with Selve, Dan Vettori went on at length that No.7 was the key position in a T20 side and that was why Higgo always batted there, and that who he is building the side around.

Presumably Higgo knows this, but wants also to play in the other formats.I would have thought with Franklin likely to step aside then Higgo would indeed be inline to play in all formats for the Middle at No.7.

Retirements and international call ups can be expected next season so this does not seem a good time to let young talent move away.

21 September, 2017 17:53
Terrible. We have needed a decent no. 7 for a few years. I cannot believe Franklin will play next year. We are obviously not looking at the future.

Sussex Seaxe (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 15:53
Is it not an idea to arrange a season long loan? I appreciate that I know nothing of all the issues involved, but that solution might suit all parties, even though I feel he would be better staying in our ranks.

22 September, 2017 16:20
The trouble is he's out of contract, and free to do as he pleases.

22 September, 2017 16:27
^ including still being in talks with the club.

The longer these drag on though the less chance he will stay.

Get it sorted before the end of the season so all parties can winter knowing where they stand at the start of the next.

I would have thought in Ryan's case it would be good to get his signature on paperwork either for us or another county before the season actually finishes and a whole bunch of other players across the country become "released" or "out of contract" and begin looking for other counties.

22 September, 2017 16:32
With most clubs starting preseason training as early as November, October is when most players go on holiday, and most want their futures decided before then, which is why these days most deals are completed before the season is over.

Not really ideal, as players are thinking of money, and where to go next, when they should be concentrating fully on the next game.

Darren Gosling (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 22:06
I think this is about as true as "Finny is signing for Lancashire" - which turned out to be a load old cr4p too....

Dave_LW (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 19:08
I was in Gloucestershire today at another sporting event and speaking with one of the local journalists who covers cricket as well. I mentioned the Ryan Higgins rumours and he advised that he has signed and expects it to be announced next week. Wasn't certain if a 2 or 3 year deal.

Obviously just what I was was told but......

DSTM

rod/ed (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 10:03
It has been noted by some in their end of season summations that there was a malaise within the squad. Higgo leaving seems to prove that.
A young rising talent having just broken into the first team set up of a Div 1 team decides to leave for a Div 2, agreeing to leave whilst we were still in Div 1.
I'm sure any bad feeling in the dressing room will not be spoken of in public or at the forum but I fear it is the case.
A couple of years ago a good season turned bad after a poor T20 campaign, and this again could be the problem. Bringing in a new coach and replacing the captain, both at great expense, did not work out and probably affected moral. DV spoke highly of Higgo, so did Richard Scott resent the situation and thus did Higgo feel his CC chances were harmed?

Again I suggest cutting our losses and relieve DV of his contract. What is the point in targeting T20 cricket anyway? It is not a long term policy because in a couple of years any good players we have developed will follow the £££ of Franchise CC.

We have no all rounder and if Mala plays well in Oz we will have two glaring gaps in the team for next summer.

AGod (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 10:08
HIggins must have taken leave of his senses to go to Gloucs.

01 October, 2017 11:08
Yes, fancy opting to play in Division 2.
I hope we haven't developed a them and us ethos in the dressing room between the senior pros and the younger players.

01 October, 2017 12:41
Higgo should have been made to feel loved.

It seemed fairly clear his opportunities would have (I'm now using past tense) improved once Franklin left.

Only needed to be patient for one more year.

Did no one take him to one side, and explain that to him?

Sussex Seaxe (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 12:59
Quote:
chunkyinargyll

Did no one take him to one side, and explain that to him?

I have no doubt that they did, which makes his departure all the more worrying. Unless there is something we don't know that means the club are not disappointed? I have no reason to say that - as far as I know he is a good lad - but am just searching for an explanation.

01 October, 2017 15:13
Perhaps he wants to be fairly certain that he will play first team cricket in all formats instead of the dead man's shoes situation we have here. It's no good asking him to wait a year - a year is a long time in cricket.

Or perhaps it's the old Emburey excuse for signing deadbeats - the cost of housing in London is too great to attract and retain decent players.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net