cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Winning catch. More of the same at Taunton, please!

Current Page: 18 of 19

Re: Somerset at Ciderabad 25-28 Sept 2017
Scrumper (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 00:22
Standard Somerset CC pitch.

AGod (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 00:33
Quote:
Lifer
His comment was reported on 5 Live Sports Extra after it all ended on Thursday

No, that was Wayne Noon's comment, surely?

We've yet to hear anything from Whitticase and whether or not he speaks tomorrow will, IMO, depend on whether or not the ECB have sorted out the Oval issue.

AGod (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 00:38
To me the bottom line on Fraser's rants is this - I fail to see why or how the pitch for our game vs Middx was any worse than the track on which Middx beat Lancs? I'd have thought Middx were pretty lucky not to get a below average assessment for that one - due to uneven bounce. And, in Steven Finn, Middx had the ideal bowler to exploit such uneven bounce just as SCCC did with Jack Leach on the turning track at Taunton.

And yes, I know Middx cannot order Mick Hunt about but, nevertheless, the ECB don't give an automatic pitch mulligan to Middx for that reason.

02 October, 2017 00:53
Reading through the comments from the last couple of days reference Arrowgate and a dodgy pitch at Taunton.
We are fast becoming the Scousers of cricket - 'Always the victims its never our fault'
We have to hold our hands up and admit we had a disastrous season - made bad decisions on team selection and tactics across all formats of the game - failed to give youngsters a chance and relied on out of form senior players who appeared to lose interest and form halfway through the season.
In short our fate was our own making.
If we do survive the drop by reinstatement of points we will be odds on for relegation next season as we would not have learnt any lessons from this season.
Lets accept our relegation and stop the whinging - rebuild with younger players who are proud to wear the badge who can gain experience in the second tier - have a revamp at management level (which includes seeing the back of the McCullum/Vettori farce) and look to the future rather than try to change the past.

Holmegaard (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 07:41
It's as if the powers that be, after doing precious little but make the usual vacuous comments all season, and after having discovered a couple of games ago that we could get relegated, have suddenly woken up to the situation and are desperately clutching at straws. Not an edifying sight and too little, too late.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 07:52
So- We're still waiting for today's definitive decision on the pitch.

Yesterday's post regarding Whitticase was a false alarm.

All adds to the drama.

hdo (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 08:40
Quote:
Bring back the Crusaders
Reading through the comments from the last couple of days reference Arrowgate and a dodgy pitch at Taunton.
We are fast becoming the Scousers of cricket - 'Always the victims its never our fault'
We have to hold our hands up and admit we had a disastrous season - made bad decisions on team selection and tactics across all formats of the game - failed to give youngsters a chance and relied on out of form senior players who appeared to lose interest and form halfway through the season.
In short our fate was our own making.

Certainly, if you follow county cricket on Twitter, we have absolutely no sympathy from any other county's fans, and most of them are very glad to see us relegated. Somerset fans in particular are delighted, given how we pipped them to last year's title (which they just can't seem to understand or get over) and we haven't endeared ourselves to them with our complaints about their pitch either. I think it's mostly relief on their part, manifesting itself in some fairly nasty comments and jibes. Also, the myth about us being darlings of the ECB still persists - yes, that's the same ECB who have (at the time of writing) relegated us with one of the most outrageous points deductions in memory.

Anyway, we're not popular, to say the least. Perhaps we should change our slogan to fit Millwall FC's - "No-one likes us". If by any chance we're reinstated in Div 1, that would truly cement our place as the most hated county on the circuit.

Holmegaard (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 09:17
I think many fans may broadly equate us with the MCC and the cricket hierarchy as we are based at Lords. In wealth terms we are hardly Surrey, the "Man. Utd of football", who can and do vacuum up pretty much any talent they want. Strip us of the Lords link and we are quite a modest outfit.

02 October, 2017 09:35
Looking around various cricket forums, I would say it is roughly a 50/50 split on Arrowgate.

There are plenty of non Middlesex fans out there who think we were shafted.

AGod (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 12:01
And still we wait.

I interpret the radio silence as meaning that the ECB is still planning some sort of stitch-up or desperate contrivance and is very busy with its lawyers and/or desperately trying to persuade either Middlesex or Somerset to officially accept relegation without recourse to the courts.

I would not be surprised if various bribes are being offered - in our case that could take the form of extra ODIs being offered to Taunton... In the case of Middlesex I'm less sure what they could offer you given that, presumably, you take no share of Lord's Test income? I know Surrey are trying to suggest that the Oval should host the second London test that happens each summer, rather than Lord's (especially once they've expanded their concrete dump), but if you get no benefit from Lord's tests than promising not to let Surrey get their way would have no effect.

WayOutWest (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 12:10
It would be better for all concerned if the ECB just state Middlesex are relegated and no pitch/arrowgate investigations will prove otherwise. A year or two in the bottom league will do us wonders long term.

AGod (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 13:04
I wouldn't hold your breath. I bet they are looking for a legally water-tight "solution," and simply cannot find one...

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 13:06
Ok,so we are all hurting BIG TIME with the season..
What a way to defend the county crown.

So,Arrowgate is being partly to blame,but lets be honest folks,how long have we been banging on about the over rate? How many times have we mentioned at forums about the same subject? How often have we had to depend on our great magician Don to get us out of the same hole?

To be honest,I don't want us to keep grasping at straws with appeals.It will just give other counties more fuel to 'dislike us'.
Imagine all the comments we will get in future!

Let's look at the picture,we have had one HELL OF A@#$%&season in all 3 formats,had not a lot to really shout about from the roof tops,god,it hurts.
Shouldn't we just,as hard as it is,accept we have screwed up and the 'R' word is here.
Will players stay or go?

It's a total embarrassment to be honest.Hurts like hell and still numb over the whole season.
Didn't think when sitting in Abu Dhabi in late March I would be planning trips to Derby,Leicester etc again.

As being away all Sept not had many chances to comment!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2017 13:08 by BeefyRoberts.

02 October, 2017 14:02
AGod-

You want to be really carefully about saying things like 'various bribes are being offered'

The verdict will be whatever it is.

You've no idea how frustrating and irritating it is when Somerset supporters start bringing out the 'We're a small club in the sticks, and they're from London' card.

I like you all, but it is bloomin' tiresome, to put it mildly.

AGod (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 14:47
If their lawyers have told them that they may be on a sticky wicket whichever way they lean, then they be offering Middx some sort of quid pro quo to promise not to resort to court action, if there is anything suitable that they could do for Middx in return for such an undertaking.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they're just trying to find one of us that will agree to go down and, as and when agreement can be reached, then what gets announced will vary - if we agree to be relegated without court action, it will be announced that our pitch has been penalised (it can't be, under the rules, but should we agree to go quietly then it will be, regardless). If you agree to go down without court action, it will be announced that our pitch has been cleared, and your points from the Oval not restored.

Thinking about it, I think they will want to avoid restoring your points from the Oval as it would open too many cans of worms.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 14:53
Sport is Sport...play poor and clutch at straws is just a poor way to go in my eyes.
See my above posting regarding the same old story of the over rate.
We got ourselves into this position by NOT sorting out RR.
NOT the first time has bitten us on the ar$e.
Getting boring now banging on about appeals etc.

02 October, 2017 15:46
No points deduction for pitch-

Although this tweet doesn't make it clear if they have received a warning-

[twitter.com]

AGod (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 15:51
There is no explicit warning as part of the usual process. However, as we all know by now, it does effectively mean that any further below average pitch in the CC within the next 12 months would result in a points deduction *unless* there were deemed to be mitigating circumstances for the second instance.

So, effectively, we are 'on notice,' without needing to receive any kind of official warning.

02 October, 2017 16:09
So, we got there in the end.

Effectively a warning (even if that isn't the official term).

A repeat grade next season would see a points deduction.

Anyone who thought there was no problem with it because the scores weren't 50, 50, 50, and 40, and Hildreth made a hundred clearly don't understand what goes in to marking a pitch, and there's no point wasting time trying to explain why how many runs are scored is not the be all and end all.

A fair enough outcome.

Don't do it again- or else!

Fozzie (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 22:21
Quote:
AGod
To me the bottom line on Fraser's rants is this - I fail to see why or how the pitch for our game vs Middx was any worse than the track on which Middx beat Lancs? I'd have thought Middx were pretty lucky not to get a below average assessment for that one - due to uneven bounce. And, in Steven Finn, Middx had the ideal bowler to exploit such uneven bounce just as SCCC did with Jack Leach on the turning track at Taunton.
And yes, I know Middx cannot order Mick Hunt about but, nevertheless, the ECB don't give an automatic pitch mulligan to Middx for that reason.

It was said at our member's forum this evening that the pitch in the recent Middlesex v Lancs was indeed rated as being below average. Given the degree of uneven bounce, with a number of batsmen dismissed by shooters, that seems reasonable to me. Apparently the Lord's groundstaff were unable to prepare a new pitch due to weather problems.

Current Page: 18 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net