cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Winning catch. More of the same at Taunton, please!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
There may be trouble ahead- Stokes arrested
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 12:06
and I'm not referring to Middlesex v Somerset.

[www.mirror.co.uk]

Not for the first time, the incident involves Benjamin Stokes.

Edit- arrested and released without charge.

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/09/2017 12:15 by chunkyinargyll.

Re: There may be trouble ahead- Stokes arrested
26 September, 2017 12:25
More details-

[www.theguardian.com]

26 September, 2017 12:42

26 September, 2017 13:02
Released under investigation means he could still be charged. Which could have ramifications for the Ashes .

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 18:26
It is sad that Ben Stokes has added to his reputation for misdemeanour, as he is currently one of the most recognisable English cricketers, and I know that some people would like him to act as a role model for youngsters getting into the sport. Unfortunately, it is difficult for me to recommend that anyone sees him as a role model.

In this era of live cricket being entirely behind a paywall (a situation which is only going to marginally improve when BBC show some live matches as of 2020), English cricket could do without this negative publicity.

somexile (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 07:32
Sunday Front cover picture of Ben Stokes with article inside

Monday Arrested in Bristol

and the caption to the picture on the cover 'The Hit Man'

27 September, 2017 10:02
Stokes has a broken finger in his right hand.

Must have been when his fist bounced off the other man's face.

28 September, 2017 05:38
This now sounds very serious-

'Ben Stokes threw 15 punches in one minute.'

[www.thesun.co.uk]

AGod (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 07:13
However, the video allegedly shows somebody threatening him with a bottle before Stokes was seen engaging in any violence.

At the very least, one would expect that - should Stokes wish to continue with his international career, then it will be on the condition that he accept a permanent minder/baby-sitter.

AGod (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 07:17
Having just viewed the video, it looks as though somebody attempts to 'bottle,' a guy that I assume to have been Alex Hales and that, from there, Stokes just goes ballistic, depsite Hales's best attempts to get him to stop.

28 September, 2017 12:53
The latest from the Stokes incident is that apparently he and Hales were walking along, and saw two men shouting homophobic abuse at two gay men. Stokes stood up for them, and said to the abusers 'You can't say that' and fight ensued.

Now, you could say 'well done Stokes' for standing up for the difference between right and wrong, or you could say, 'It was only words. There was no fight' (at that stage).

It was Stokes intervention that started the fight, and people say he threw the first punch.

So- you could say he escalated what was only 'words' until he intervened.

28 September, 2017 14:32
Latest from ECB-

Ben Stokes and Alex Hales will not be considered for selection until further notice.

Edit to add link-

[www.thesun.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/09/2017 14:42 by chunkyinargyll.

AGod (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 16:08
Cannot help thinking that, based on the video, this all seems somewhat harsh on Hales.

28 September, 2017 16:33
Having seen the evidence of the video, quite honestly I think a long ban is essential, regardless of whether he is charged or not. Certainly I can't see him playing in the Ashes.

In an interview in the Sunday Times a couple of weeks ago he said that although he had a temper "he would never hit anyone". Needs to grow up.

PaulR_enfield (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 20:33
The video looks terrible but. whilst in no way condoning violence, it only shows part of the story as, apart from rumour, we don't know what led up to it and the guy he hit does appear to be brandishing a bottle so is unlikely to be a completely innocent party in this so surely it is up to due process probably via the courts to decide what happened and to give out any punishments if it goes that far.

If he broke team rules, ie a curfew, then he should face disciplinary action from the ECB/England set up but, should he be charged, he is innocent until proven guilty and it's not for the ECB (or any of us) to prejudge that.

Top sportsmen, as many footballers in particular have found, really do need to think carefully about where they go to unwind as all too often the evening seems to end in scenes like this.

30 September, 2017 21:13
[www.mirror.co.uk]

The latest about the victim.

Scrumper (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 23:12
You believe that?

adelaide (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 23:44
It's probably just me but the apparent references to Stokesy on the clip have got me thinking of that famous line in Dad's Army...

Adelaide

01 October, 2017 05:48
The"story" went quiet for the papers big time after Stokes was released without charge under investigation and the ECB suspended both him and Hales from England duty "till further notice" so they went back to some good old fashioned journalism, find out who the victim was and his history. Ex soldier who was recently in hospital ..... gold dust in their eyes but not in many others,chip wrappings tomorrow.

Little else they can do or say till Stokes is charged with an offence so expect this to be off the front page till the Ashes Tour starts or Ben is charged/released.

Very harsh on Hales as he is a witness rather than a victim/perpetrator of any alleged attack to be suspended from earning a living.

snicko (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 07:10
For those of you commenting that "it is harsh on Hales", may I suggest you take another look at the video and watch Hales (white trainers) kicking a defenceless man twice to the head !!

I would fully expect Hales to be charged by the police and to suffer a heavier punishment than Stokes.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net