cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Winning catch. More of the same at Taunton, please!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Re: There may be trouble ahead- Stokes arrested
adelaide (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 10:37
Does the release of and wide publicity given to the video prejudice the chances of a fair trial?

I think we need to be careful saying "Hales did this, Stokes did that" for similar reasons. Any trial will establish that.

Adelaide, often called to a different sort of bar

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 15:21
Stokes might not be out of the woods yet after all.

'File passed on to Crown Prosecution Service for a decision'

I assumed Stokes heading for NZ meant he had privately been given the nod there would be no further action, with an announcement following a couple of days later.

CPS may still decide 'not in public interest' (the evidence is on CCTV) so we await developments.

15 January, 2018 15:47
Charged with affray-

[www.standard.co.uk]

I'm not sure if this is up to date, as different sites seem to give different information, but it seems a guilty verdict can result in anything from a suspended sentence, to a maximum of three years-

[www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/01/2018 17:56 by chunkyinargyll.

15 January, 2018 18:49
He won't be going with a guilty plea,nor will the two people he "Affrayed" all will have their day in court , probably right in the middle of the next Test home series though sad smiley

17 January, 2018 12:46
Stokes available for New Zealand.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
17 January, 2018 19:50
When it was announced that Ben Stokes had been charged with affray and could spend a period of time in prison, it sounded like his chances of returning to the England side had reduced, as I assumed that the only way he would return to the side would be if it was announced that he would face a minor charge or that the case against him had been dropped. Therefore, it comes as a surprise to me that he is now allowed to return to the side!

However, he is still a long way from being out of the woods, as it has been pointed out that he may have to leave the tour of New Zealand and/or miss matches in the coming months if there are any developments in his case or if the trial clashes with matches.

As he is an important member of the England side, I have been - and remain - hopeful that Stokes won’t be imposed with a long prison sentence (if anything), and I have felt relieved whenever I have heard information that suggests that he may get off lightly (e.g. it may help his cause if it was true that he was defending two men from homophobic abuse). However, I acknowledge that the fact he is a cricketer and not the average person should not entitle him to a lesser sentence or to my support.

I don’t see really see why Stokes can’t join the rest of England’s tour of Australia, as a saving could probably made on air fares to New Zealand considering the rest of the England squad will be travelling straight there after their final match in Australia.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net