cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Floodlights in use at last

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

Re: The Ashes 2017/18
Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
07 December, 2017 10:51
So, ...........after flattering to deceive, Vince reverts to form and gets out to his referred method of execution - nicking off outside off stump to a wide one put there for him to do just that, when all he had to do was occupy the crease.

How long before he is replaced by the backwards walking wicket, Gurry, Ludd, Ballance?

How long too before Cook's dismal run is recognised as an irreversible slump as age catches up with him?

No wonder Root is failing to convert his starts into hundreds.- He's having to try to carry the batting as well as captain the side.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 07:55
Woke up this morning to discover yet another player has got himself in trouble.

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Duckett is not officially on the England tour, but was due to play in the two day game that started today.

'Poured drink over another player'.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 13:22
Allegedly poured a drink over Anderson's head.
Is there two professional cricket squads in Australia,or a bunch of lads in Magaluf?
The press here and there are watching like a hawk for the slightest thing,and Duckett does this!
Think about things lads,in the limelight and being watched from every angle possible!

09 December, 2017 21:08
Several articles, including this one

[www.theguardian.com]

suggest Bayliss will bring two or three senior careers to and end when the tour finishes, in order to assert his authority.

To my mind, the three who come in to the category of 'senior' are Cook, Broad and Anderson.

I doubt Cook has ever been a threat to Bayliss' authority, but his form is declining. Broad and Anderson on the other hand might be people who would express displeasure if the tour continues to go badly.

adelaide (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 11:50
JW

I think you are interpreting "senior" as most "experienced" when it is probably just supposed to mean "top level". In other words, it could be a reference to Stokes or even someone with just a few caps.

I wonder if our Jimmy was making up limericks involving Mr D's surname?

Unfortunately I think I can guess what the secret sledging of Bairstow is about.

Adelaide

10 December, 2017 17:37
I see George Dobell has described Jack Leach's bowling as a bit 'Kerrigan-esque' in his report on the two day match that finished today. Presumably that is not meant as a compliment.

[www.espncricinfo.com]

Maybe he forgot to bring his rake with him.

(Sm159)

10 December, 2017 20:03
Duckett poured a beer over Andersons head and gets suspended ?

Thank Christ we don't have the press following us around,very few of us would ever see another game if our conduct (or lack of it on occasions) ever hit the back or front pages of the press.

Lads will be lads and if this sort of thing is suddenly a "hanging offence" I fear for the time the Russians really kick off or the North Koreans really embolden themselves.

Far more laddish japes occured on previous tours but were never reported,the Press may have been more "embedded" with the team ( or more proffesional) and covered for them or just didn't think it worth reporting.

We live in an age of instant news where everyone who does something daft is punished by the court of twitter and the internet and it is really really sad.

Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 08:43
I agree, Diamond, but we cannot live in a world as we would like it to be, but how it actually is.

So .........everyone has a camera on their phone, everyone fancies themselves as breaking the next story about England cricketers on the lash, and everyone knows this too.

So the potential victims of this need to be a little bit smarter, appreciate that - right now - there are targets on their backs and act with more discretion.

Similarly, they must know that management are not currently very happy with them in general for both "cricketing" and "non-cricketing" reasons, and will be seeking to be seen to do their job, and thus preserve their careers by being tough on any illicit high jinks, especially where related to alcohol.- Take a line through how Eddie Jones dealt with Solomona and Tuilagi. They weren't even seen at breakfast the next day; just GONE, vanished, disappeared, and life moves on without them.

Bluntly put, if Duckett doesn't have the wit to appreciate this himself, and act accordingly, then he's a real plank. The number of other cricketers who were out the night of "the HalesStokes" incident in the middle of a series, and the number that were given a fine or a severe wigging afterwards should have been sufficient warning.

It's time for those overpaid underachievers to start acting like real professionals.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
13 December, 2017 11:09
Same team line-up for 3rd test at WACA.
Does anyone else think having Ali in for a fast bouncing track a good idea?
Another fast bowler in his place,or all-rounder maybe?
Don't think Ali has really delivered this far in series.

14 December, 2017 04:25
Up at 4am for an early start,still not early enough to catch Chef's first innings though.

He is one inning away from being back on track or calling it a day a the end of the series for England I reckon. May well play a few more seasons with Essex as the inspiration to play for the county champions will still be there.

Either way,come on Cookie , sort it out !

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
14 December, 2017 10:05
Well done Mala for his maiden test century and England's first of series. Guess we won't be seeing much of him next season

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

14 December, 2017 15:10
Very well played, Mala.

Increases chances for Max Holden next summer.

Thoughts with Andrew Strauss and his wife Ruth.

[www.theguardian.com]

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
14 December, 2017 19:55
I am very proud of Dawid Malan scoring his maiden Test century. I also feel relieved, as I was fearful that the selectors would lose patience, although that is probably just me being nervous considering his previous seven Tests saw his score three fifties.

Malan and Jonny Bairstow’s partnership has given England a base from which they can post a total that would put them in a position to win. However, we will have to see whether England can seize this opportunity.

Alastair Cook didn’t enter this series with question marks over his place in the side, but it is understandable that his place is becoming doubtful considering his last nine Test innings have seen him score just 130 runs, with his three highest scores being 37, 23 and 17. Australia will feel relieved about his form, as he scored 766 runs in the 2010/11 series, and Cook will have been hopeful that he would have improved on his tally of 246 runs in 2013/14. Mark Stoneman’s two fifties so far in this series means that we are in the rare position of questioning whether Cook should play rather than who Cook’s latest opening partner should be. However, if Cook was to lose his place, there would surely have to be two better openers than him rather than just one, but I am not sure if there are two about. If Cook can regain his form, he will be able to think about scoring the 256 runs that will leapfrog Mahela Jayawardene, Shivnarine Chanderpaul and Brian Lara and make him Test cricket’s sixth-highest run-scorer.

It is very sad to hear of Ruth Strauss’s illness, as she often supported Andrew around the world, and I often saw her and their children at Uxbridge whenever Andrew played there.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
14 December, 2017 21:00
Yes JW. Very sad. Wish all the best to Andrew and his family.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
14 December, 2017 21:08
Fingers crossed. So far, so good. Against this bowling attack a ton is worth its weight in gold.

On TMS commentary, Ed Smith recalled that Mala had been a very clean hitter of the ball when Mala was a youngster during Smith's time at The Middle.

Initially spotted by our then head coach Toby Radford.

14 December, 2017 21:44
Few things are more pleasurable on a dark winters morning driving up the M1 than for a Middlesex man to score a ton against the old enemy on the radio , all be it still interrupted by "Yesterday in Parliament" and "the morning service".

Well played Dawid.

Get better very soon Ruth, a lovely lass and a mum and wife. Cancer sucks and as the partner of someone who has suffered it I am fully with Andrew for returning home to be with her.

S0d the cricket Straussie some things are far more important than the "day job".

adelaide (IP Logged)
15 December, 2017 10:54
Quote:
Seaxe_Man
Fingers crossed. So far, so good. Against this bowling attack a ton is worth its weight in gold.
On TMS commentary, Ed Smith recalled that Mala had been a very clean hitter of the ball when Mala was a youngster during Smith's time at The Middle.

Initially spotted by our then head coach Toby Radford.

Clive Radley claims the benefit, or at least some of it, in he Mail this morning. Malan signed and then played the same day, opening against Surry and IIRC having great difficulty scoring runs, which was hardly surprising in the circumstances.

Adelaide

15 December, 2017 13:50
I think this is the game in question-

[www.espncricinfo.com]

Signed on the day out of shear neccesity, I think, as we were severely depleted.

Bare in mind that besides Malan, Morgan and Godleman were also novice teenagers at the time, who weren't normally automatic first picks.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
15 December, 2017 19:20
For some reason, I can remember the moment I went on a computer at my boarding school in Cheshire and saw the article on Middlesex’s website about Dawid Malan signing, and I remember feeling surprised that he went straight into the squad for a match later that day. That match in July 2006 turned out to be Malan’s only 1st XI appearance until May 2008, at which point I finally learned how to pronounce his surname, having previously assumed it was pronounced as ‘Maylon’!

Quote:
Jonathan Winsky
Malan and Jonny Bairstow’s partnership has given England a base from which they can post a total that would put them in a position to win. However, we will have to see whether England can seize this opportunity.

I was fearful that England would fail to post the total of 450+ that seemed possible after Malan and Jonny Bairstow’s work, and my fears were realised. Still, if they can take some wickets both before and after the second new ball becomes available 18 overs into day three, then they will have a chance of a first innings lead.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
15 December, 2017 20:31
Dawid Malan is the 19th Middlesex player to score a century for England according to my research.

Btw Adelaide. Ed Smith said Toby Radford spotted Mala. Others doubtless chipped in.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net