cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Floodlights in use at last

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7

Re: The Ashes 2017/18
19 December, 2017 05:55
^ and his series total so far to more than anyone scored on the fateful 5-0 trip last time (with 2 Tests left in the series)to up that further.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
19 December, 2017 19:30
If it is any consolation, this tour is going much better for England than their previous Ashes tour in 2013/14. On that occasion, Australia had the luxury of selecting the same XI throughout the series, while England used 18 players. However, Australia have so far already used 12 players, whereas I can only name 6 players who have contributed to England’s cause so far, namely Dawid Malan, Jonny Bairstow, Mark Stoneman, James Vince, Joe Root and James Anderson.

We will have to see whether there will be any additions to the list of players who have contributed when the Melbourne Test starts on Boxing Day, for which Craig Overton is a doubt.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
21 December, 2017 12:08
Following up your post on land availability in Western Australia Diamond.

As by far the largest State cannot be a problem, though admittedly, a large chunk of it is desert.

Can't see why the WACA cannot be retained for Shield and Women's Cricket. This would bring them into line with the Eastern States who use their lesser grounds for that purpose.

NSW play some matches at Newcastle.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
21 December, 2017 12:11
Following up your post on land availability in Western Australia Diamond.

As by far the largest State cannot be a problem, though admittedly, a large chunk of it is desert.

Can't see why the WACA cannot be retained for Shield and Women's Cricket. This would bring them into line with the Eastern States who use their lesser grounds for that purpose.

NSW play some matches at Newcastle.

21 December, 2017 20:10
In the Guardian, Andy Bull has written about the various factors ECB have to consider when determining the county structure.

Many outlets have written about Dawid Malan today, including Cricinfo and the Guardian. On Cricinfo, Malan echoed comments made by Steven Finn in saying that fast bowlers bowl too much in county cricket and that they shouldn't play more than two successive County Championship matches, which is bad news for supporters who feel that enough reductions have already been made to the county programme and the amount of times England players are seen. In the Guardian, Malan credits Chris Rogers and Adam Voges for inspiring him to be a late-developer.

Beeamazed (IP Logged)
25 December, 2017 13:49
Curran for Overton but we are playing one short again with Broad
retained

25 December, 2017 18:27
Moeen Ali is a doubt for the fourth Test due to a hand injury, meaning that Mason Crane may join Tom Curran in making a Test debut. I would like Crane to play, as I would like to think he would bowl better than Moeen has in this series, although it would extend England's tail (not that I am a fan of the idea of judging bowlers and wicket-keepers on their batting ability). It would also be a waste to drag Crane, Gary Ballance and Ben Foakes to the other side of the world if they end up not playing a Test.

There is still lots for England to play for at Melbourne and Sydney, as they will be desperate to avoid a whitewash, and the players will be keen to take some momentum on an individual and team level into their next four Test series, when they tour New Zealand, host Pakistan and India, and tour Sri Lanka.

26 December, 2017 09:37
I am delighted with how day one went, as England kept Australia’s run rate below 3.00, and... erm, I can’t think of anything else.

I felt disappointed when it was announced that Moeen Ali would keep his place and there would be no debut for Mason Crane, especially as Geoffrey Boycott said before play that he expects this pitch to turn at some point, which made me fearful that the battle of the spinners will once again be won in this match by Nathan Lyon. Perhaps it was no surprise that the day should end with Moeen being trusted for one fewer over than Dawid Malan, and with Boycott saying that Moeen is not a quality spinner and that England need to find one.

27 December, 2017 19:37
I imagine that many people assumed they were suffering from a Christmas hangover when they woke up to learn that Stuart Broad took four wickets to play a role in Australia’s failure to push on to the massive total they seemed certain to make, and that Alastair Cook was closing in on a century.

England will hope to get some way past Australia’s 327, but that won’t happen if Australia can bowl as well as England did today.

Broad and Cook’s performances will have considerably helped their chances of remaining in the side for the time being. Just last night, the Daily Mail reported that Sky are ready to employ Broad if he loses his place. Cook is now within 51 runs of Test cricket’s seventh-highest run-scorer, Shivnarine Chanderpaul. This match has already seen James Anderson climb to number two in the list of fast bowlers with the most Test wickets.

Joe Root is 49 not out overnight, so we will have to see whether or not he takes the opportunity to make a point to those who complain that he seldom converts starts into telling contributions like his great adversary, Steve Smith.

After waking up to good news this morning, no doubt I will wake up to bad news tomorrow.

28 December, 2017 19:46
Well done to Alastair Cook on batting through today and achieving various feats, such as leapfrogging Mahela Jayawardene, Shivnarine Chanderpaul and Brian Lara in the list of Test cricket’s highest run-scorers, currently having made the 6th-highest Test score at Melbourne (and the best by an overseas batsman), and going 2nd in the list of England batsmen with the most double-centuries. Just five players now have more Test runs than Cook, although he will probably have to wait a bit if he is to rise any further, with Kumar Sangakkara 444 ahead, and number one Sachin Tendulkar 3,965 away.

England obviously have an excellent chance of winning or at least drawing this match. However, I can remember a few times in this series as well as their 2006/07 and 2013/14 whitewashes when they looked set to take something from a match, only for Australia to end up winning.

The forecast for day four isn’t great, so I don’t know if England will declare overnight. Batting on would give them an opportunity to further their lead and keep Australia on the field for a bit longer, plus of course Cook could get a few more runs. However, the final wicket could well fall in the first few overs of day four, meaning England could end up wasting time by batting on.

28 December, 2017 20:01
Humble Pie time re Broad Bee though he left it late to turn up to the party as did the ex Captain, too late basically by about 3 Test matches. And they were not the only ones.

28 December, 2017 23:33
Quote:
Jonathan Winsky
However, the final wicket could well fall in the first few overs of day four, meaning England could end up wasting time by batting on.

As I feared, England lost their final wicket to the first ball of day four!

30 December, 2017 09:49
Having lost two of the last three Ashes tours 5-0 and being one defeat away from having lost nine successive Test matches in Australia, it feels like excellent news that England drew in Melbourne. The main disappointment is that the match was played on a flat drop-in pitch, which thwarted hopes of an exciting final day.

Beeamazed (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 11:54
Broad comes good for one test
His best days are gone though.
He struggles to reach 80k on a regular basis.and batting wise ,entertaining
though it was ,his knock was mainly luck.
I'm a fan but time to move on...

31 December, 2017 06:00
Ashes tours down under often mark an end to England (and playing) careers.

Folk think Anderson has another summer or two left in him (more for hopes of record breaking feats than his longevity I think, hes 36yrs old?) Not been the star of the pack this winter either.

Broad, if I was a selector wouldn't have been on this tour,put out into the Nottingham pastures after last summers efforts with a note from his mum saying please don't hit my boy with the ball he's been hit once to often and he will not bowl fast at you to make up for it.

Woakes,Overton and the rest of the "quicks",let's face it are not quick! Genuine pace,speed,bounce and swing are what is required in Aussie conditions and we seem to have selected a bunch of bowlers who come up with two out of the four on some occasions but never all at once.

Spin.....Ali has had an horrendous tour,when you look at their spinners figures you realise Mo is a batsman who bowls a bit, having performed neither discipline well this series I am dissapointed with one of my favourite cricketers ever who plays with his heart and soul normally,he has looked extremely poor this series.

Batsmen,still no real answer to the opener position and if Cook does call it a day to return to Essex and his farm after this series we are in double trouble at the top of the order. Stoneman will probably make a go of it but how many others will be tried as his partner (Chef has had 27 opening partners since AJS retired? !! ) .

The rest of the top order have failed to provide scores that put any pressure on the opponent (apart from Mala's ton and Root's effort in Melbourne),the tail hasn't really offered much either in the way of support,something England have relied on in recent years with Bairstow and Ali getting out cheaply they had no real batting support.

Last point from me,taking young Mason Crane and not playing him is criminal,3-0 down, series gone,we draw the Melbourne Test to "save" the 5-0,give the lad a go in the final Test,we might find we have a spinner to relieve Mo of the bulk of his bowling duties thereby he concentrates on what he's good at,getting big scores quickly with the tail.

Not all doom and gloom running into the New Year though, there are shoots of recovery there and next summer may see many changes in the Test side line up, let's wait and see.

edited because of too many missing "t"s (my keyboard is rubbish) and very poor grammar in paragraph 5. Really shouldn't try doing long posts early in the morning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/12/2017 10:35 by The Diamond ruled ok.

31 December, 2017 10:02
With the pitch at Sydney expected to be conducive to spin, there are calls for Mason Crane to finally make his Test debut, probably in place of Moeen Ali rather than alongside him.

Ben Stokes’ continued unavailability means that Dawid Malan is expected to be brought in for the limited-overs matches on this tour. Despite making 78 off 44 in a Twenty20 international v South Africa at Sophia Gardens in June, that has proven to be Malan’s only limited-overs appearance for England so far.

31 December, 2017 10:40
Mala after his performances in ODIs last summer should be a fixture in the one day England side regardless of Stokes availability.

Sussex Seaxe (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 14:33
Quote:
The Diamond ruled ok
Mala after his performances in ODIs last summer should be a fixture in the one day England side regardless of Stokes availability.

He's never played an ODI. You may be remembering the T20

31 December, 2017 15:19
True enough but having seen it live he would be straight in my longer form team too.

Sussex Seaxe (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 15:23
Quite agree Diamond.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net