cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Winning catch. More of the same at Taunton, please!

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Re: Are we going to appeal Arrowgate?
08 October, 2017 10:52
I don't mean to be at all rude to anyone (possibly apart from chunkyinargyll) when you have all been so courteous and helpful (definitely apart from chunkyinargyll). However, I don't get how you can have a forum meeting, a cheese and wine party and an awards night at your club in the last week and still not have a clue what is happening with Arrowgate. Isn't there two-way communication at these events? Even though most tell me I should be on safe ground, I'm still very interested to know and thought you all would be even more.

P&C

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 11:18
I haven't been rude to you. I have been firm with you, asking you to use my correct user name, or not use it at all.

And each time you mention the possibility of somerset being relegated, I have firmly, but not rudely, pointed out that won't happen.

Middlesex clearly can't announce an outcome until it is official.

David Fulton is a journalist. There is no such thing as a tame journalist. Richard Goatley says 'ECB sympathetic' on Monday (which is clearly as far as he can go) Midweek Fulton says on Sky 'Nine teams likely outcome' Friday Fulton hosts Middlesex awards.

We did appeal at time (which is why it took 5 or 6 days before points were added) ECB said that was end of the matter. We didn't agree, so launched fresh appeal.

Probably putting in dummy fixtures in to the computer, to see what 9 team fixture list produces.

Nothing is ever definite until it is definite, but if the answer was still 'No' ECB could have said that in 24 hours, reiterating their original stance.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 11:39
Peaches and Creosote. I went to the Players Awards Dinner. From the conversation it seems clear that we have accepted relegation.

The club have received emails from Gloucs, Leics, Derby saying they were pleased that they would once again meet the Middle.

There was no dissention I could detect on that.

Further, it is an ill wind that blows no good.

Arrowgate and MX relegation have come to the notice of the non cricketing public as a conversation at the Wealdstone v Whitehawk match that I saw yesterday indicated.

Two punters, one, not a cricket person, discussed it at length. So, some bonus publicity.

08 October, 2017 12:41
Thanks, Seaxe Man. That's clear and puts the deluded hopes of chunkyinargyll to bed. It's excellent news from my perspective although not your's unless you buy into the rebuilding type of tosh that is normally trotted out when a team goes down.

As a Club, you were badly treated by the ECB taking the two points taken off you in the first place.

As supporters, you were even more badly treated by your Club accepting the decision (albeit with reluctance and after some toing and froing). Once accepted, any further appeal deserved to be doomed.

adelaide (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 13:35
SM

But the last thing we have from the club is Richard Goatley saying the ECB was not unsympathetic (not quite the same as sympathetic - I didn't get where I am today without recognising a double negative).

Players accepting it (if that is who you were talking to) isn't quite the same thing as the hierarchy doing so, though it might indicate that the players don't think much of the chances of anything changing.

What we need, it seems is absolute clarity from the club and in particular Mr Goatley as to whether the relegation is definitely accepted. I would be very unhappy if what was said at the forum gave hope (if that is the right word) when there was none.

Adelaide

08 October, 2017 13:43
Ade - that's fair enough again although I doubt that one poster in Argyll will accept that Middlesex are down even if he's watching them on a live stream playing at Leicester!

P&C

08 October, 2017 13:47
Now who is being abusive?

I posted Middlesex had appealed again, and what David Fulton said on Sky.

I don't know what the outcome will be, but I will accept it.

You are now just posting to get a reaction.

08 October, 2017 14:47
Chunkyinargyll - you need to realise it isn't all about you. I was mainly posting to thank others for their pleasant and informative replies.

08 October, 2017 15:21
Do you two now want to put this spat to bed or both face a banning order. A major subject of the winter has turned into a rather tiresome dirge between two grown men over which the outcome they have no control (nor do any of us).

We appealed and got told to "do one" as far as the ECB was concerned.They will not be changing their minds anytime this side of hell freezing over.

The snide pokes at Middlesex management are not appreciated (or fair),they did what they could when they could only to be told "no appeal" by the ECB who are the governing body. Quite what you thought they should do and when matters not Peaches,the case was closed.

Now behave,winter well and look forward to a Middlesex free season next year Peaches,you never know your lot might even finally win the County Championship at last.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 15:43
Quote:
adelaide
SM
But the last thing we have from the club is Richard Goatley saying the ECB was not unsympathetic (not quite the same as sympathetic - I didn't get where I am today without recognising a double negative).

Players accepting it (if that is who you were talking to) isn't quite the same thing as the hierarchy doing so, though it might indicate that the players don't think much of the chances of anything changing.

What we need, it seems is absolute clarity from the club and in particular Mr Goatley as to whether the relegation is definitely accepted. I would be very unhappy if what was said at the forum gave hope (if that is the right word) when there was none.

Adelaide

Adelaide I agree. The Club has not been 100% clear on this. I was not talking to players merely listening to the top table conversation from the hierarchy.

Both Mike O'Farrell and Gus gave the impression that it is time to move on. Dave Fulton read out the emails from the other counties pleased to hear the Middle would be calling.

This was not challenged. The draft fixture list for 2018 does now exist. If the matter is not settled then a lot of and/or exist.

I did hear that this time there is a great deal more weekend championship cricket starting on Friday's. We shall see.

08 October, 2017 15:53
S_M and Adelaide-

And that is a very valid point.

If the club has accepted Division 2 it would be much better if Richard Goatley had made that clear. The last official press comment I read said something to the effect that if the club asked for the matter to be reconsidered he couldn't believe we wouldn't get a hearing.

And that was on the record.

08 October, 2017 16:04
More weekend cricket ?

Of the CC type rather than the short form hype I hope.

Be nice to actually get a summer of cricket in without huge gaps in it where so of us have no interest in what is occurring but still go because it is on our days off.

The 50 over comp has been a disaster for "weekenders" for the last few years, the joy of 60 over cricket on a Sunday (which initially got me into the game) abandoned for Thursday night hit and giggle and a game on Sunday maybe if your ground isn't needed for something else.

I do hope they have sorted it out but seriously doubt the Brains Trust in charge of fixtures could find their own homes without a sat nav.

Fozzie (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 16:37
Quote:
The Diamond ruled ok

I do hope they have sorted it out but seriously doubt the Brains Trust in charge of fixtures could find their own homes without a sat nav.

Sat nav, Diamond? That sounds a bit too 21st century for them to cope with...

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 17:21
With us poping into div 2 next season,we can catch up with old friends.
We have Dave in Cardiff,Those nice folks in Leicester(who can forget how they treated us last time,and the steward in white coat,whose name I can't remember),The Northants member with his bike, and,of course hoping the fixture God's are on our side and we get an away trip to Durham to see our old mate Vic (whom will be looking at fixtures as we Will!).
Yea,let's accept Div 2 county cricket and let's get on with the job of claiming our place back in Div 1 in 2019.

Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 18:33
Well, to go back to the bit about the players of Durham CCC being penalised for the errors of the suits and blazers, I, for one, say that particular piece of underhanded scumbaggery still reeks to high heaven.

Well done, Paul Collingwood for saying he will play on next year. I'm betting he's on a mission to try to right that heinous wrong.I hope he succeeds.

OK, so that may harm our cause in returning to Div 1, but so what, it's only a game, and no one died.

We have ignored the over rate rulings pretty flagrantly for ages, and if you fail to play within the spirit of the game, it can bite you in the Harris Garden.

If you end up depending on the "if's" and "but's" of legalese and phoning a friend at the Exterminate Cricket Bureau to try to rectify the on field failings, you're in even worse trouble than you think you are. I'm not decrying anyone on here who wants nothing but the best for our club, and want us to stay up. I'd have preferred us to have done so too, but we didn't get enough first innings runs, we didn't take enough wickets, and so down we go.

Let's use this time positively, give youth a go, and start looking forwards.

dingy bags (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 19:14
And for the record, and for anyone who has not read the excellent report of the forum, the top table got a real roasting from the first two or three contributors from the floor. Names were named, even if they were sitting on the stage.

This covered just about everything we had to gripe about.

After that, the meeting moved largely on but we were given the feeling that the final arrow has not yet landed.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 19:35
I am unconvinced there will be great deal more County Championship cricket at weekends in 2018 than in 2017, particularly in the second half of the season, as some weekends are reserved for the knockout stages of limited-overs competitions, meaning that a few rounds of Championship matches often have to start on a Monday or Tuesday. Once a round starts on a Monday or Tuesday, the following rounds often have to do so too to enable the players to feel like they have had sufficient rest between matches.

The above would feel more palatable if Middlesex make a rare appearance in said knockout stages.

Leprechaun (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 20:24
Hi Folks
We have decided to close this thread until and if any actual news about Arrowgate is published. Things have got a bit repetitive and some posts have been too near the mark. We are not stopping any other conversations about the future but just not on this thread for now. Free speech still reigns on MTWD!

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net