cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Winning catch. More of the same at Taunton, please!

End-of-season forum, 2nd October
Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 10:19
The end-of-season forum will take place tomorrow, starting at 6:00pm in the Thomas Lord Suite. It was lucky I checked Middlesex’s official website before starting this thread, as I assumed it would take place in the Nursery Pavilion, as that is where this year’s AGM and mid-season forum took place. Although I now work miles away in West Silvertown, I should be able to get there in good time, as long as the Docklands Light Railway and Jubilee line run well.

I can’t remember many forums I have attended where there has been a great deal of disappointment or unhappiness, but it is highly likely that that is how tomorrow's atmosphere will be. That is unless an announcement is made during the day that Somerset have been deducted points for the pitch they prepared for last week’s match and/or that our two-point deduction at The Oval has been overturned, in which case there would probably be some relief in the air. However, I will be oblivious to any announcements, as I don’t think I can access the internet at work.

The topics discussed at the forum will probably include our disappointing defence of our 2016 County Championship title, our difficulty in bowling 16 overs an hour, how we are going to get back up in 2018, and our inability to qualify for the Twenty20 knockout stages despite our investment in this format. Also, it would be a surprise if there is no mention of issues such as whether there will be a Middlesex Room in 2018, whether any progress has been made in ensuring the club will be adequately compensated for the disruption that the city-based Twenty20 competition will cause, and whether the club plan to change the balance or timing of matches allocated to each outground. Maybe questions will be asked about the future of certain players.

With regards to the Middlesex Room, it was said at the mid-season forum in mid-June that it was hoped that there would be some good news within about six weeks of it. However, nothing has been heard since.

It is often said that the AGM is where the club say it will a good season, the mid-season forum is where the club admit the season has hitherto not gone to plan but say it will get better, and end-of-season forum is where the club apologise for how poor the season has been. I suppose 2017 has followed that pattern. We started the season hopeful we could retain our title and build on our qualification for the Twenty20 quarter-finals in 2016. By the mid-season forum, questions were being asked about why we didn’t strengthen our Championship side, although everyone was hopeful of an improvement considering the forum took place during the match v Yorkshire (which turned out to be the high point of our Championship campaign), while our Twenty20 campaign was a couple of weeks away.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2017 20:51 by Leprechaun.

Re: End-of-season forum, 2nd October
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 13:35
Question I would like asked-

Has Dawid Malan signed a new contract, and if not, is he likely to sign in next few weeks, before Ashes?

Surbiton crusader2 (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 15:57
What's stopping you from asking them that question yourself CIA???

SC2

01 October, 2017 16:03
430 miles Surbiton Crusader.

01 October, 2017 16:03
His moniker might be a clue.

MB (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 16:34
Apart from Tom Helm s emergence is there a single positive we can take into the end of season forum.
We have been abject in all formats
Our continued inability to keep up with required overs per hour has finally bit us hard
Our selection process has been questionable again in all formats and has probably contributed towards a promising young player leaving and others no doubt left feeling very very frustrated

Surbiton crusader2 (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 17:37
I was imagining him as a portly guy in an Argyll pullover...

SC2

01 October, 2017 18:15
Quote:
Surbiton crusader2
I was imagining him as a portly guy in an Argyll pullover...
SC2

Perhaps you could knit him one for Christmas. Size XXL.

01 October, 2017 19:50
Could always email it direct to Richard or Gus Chunky...... might get read out and an answer though I doubt it.

Nice to see it has been arranged for 6pm so the angry masses who are seeking Scott's head on a spike at the Nursery End of the ground will find it too early to get there or too dark to complete the job after the top table waffle on for about an hour about how it's not been such a bad season.

A members meeting , will we be given any "resignations"/been pushed notices before they are handed to Fleet Street?

Time to go for some people, you have more than outstayed your welcome.

02 October, 2017 19:23
Hour or so into the meeting I wonder if the masses have stormed the Kremlin yet ??

Higgo going was out on Twitter before it started so nothing new there then.

Enjoy the cheese and whine folks.

Fozzie (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 21:00
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
Question I would like asked-
Has Dawid Malan signed a new contract, and if not, is he likely to sign in next few weeks, before Ashes?

Richard Goatley said at the forum that Dawid signed a new long-term contract in January.

02 October, 2017 21:22
Thanks, Fozzie.

It never appeared on the club website, because between us, me and Jonathan never miss these announcements (you can tell that by all JW's posts on the 'On the move, or going nowhere' thread).

At least that's one bit of good news.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 21:39
It sounded like many people at the club share the supporters’ disappointment about Middlesex’s relegation, and that they will be very keen to find a way to regain our division one status.

So many things are said at these forums, that it is difficult for me to remember everything!

Richard Goatley spoke about trying to convince MCC to allow us to stage all seven home County Championship matches at Lord’s in 2018, albeit at the likely expense of staging some Royal London Cup matches there. He also said that he is in talks with the people at Southgate about the possibility of us returning there. He also said that he is keen for us to establish an official ‘second ground’, for which the club can have control, although he didn’t mention where this could be. If such a ground was to exist, I would have thought it would be Radlett.

There was no mention of our Twenty20 performances or about how what happened in that format may have affected our County Championship performances. Also, there was no mention about the Middlesex Room.

02 October, 2017 22:13
So would I be right in thinking the 'sack 'em' and hang 'em' brigade totally lost their nerve, and meekly consumed the cheese and wine without kicking up a fuss?

I'm not thinking of anyone on this forum. I look at Facebook as well.

Look forward to a more detailed account in due course.

03 October, 2017 05:08
Makes you wonder why it is timed at 6pm on a Monday evening doesn't it.

I suppose we will have to wait for the full AGM to see if there are to be any major changes in the management/player structure of the club.

I hope feelings were made known to the top table rather than members "bottling it" and that these were noted by those who need to make the changes.

Only time will tell, now when's that div 2 fixture list out so I can start planning next seasons away's because I for one will not be spending another year watching Hunt wickets destroy the game.

Other thing they could do is just leak stuff out on Twitter or Facebook smiling smiley

Lifer (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 11:43
Despite being asked by the Chairman to avoid personal attacks several members attacked the captain , Gus and other players.

While it is understandable that members are disappointed this is unacceptable. The management and players are disappointed too.

Not everyone agreed with these sentiments and some felt we had not become a poor side in just twelve months.

The detailed review of the season has only just begun so there will be no knee jerk reactions. All of the players except Higgins who has left are under contract

selincourt (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 11:52
Criticising Gus is perfectly acceptable and IMO merited. The bottom line is that we were relegated due to a slow over rate. Gus has ignored this issue in the past and belittled members who raised it. This complacency has cost us dear. He still seems to think it's only a matter of opinion rather than an indisputable fact.

Lifer (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 11:58
Well there is a simple answer to the slow over rate. It only occurs when Toby plays.

No I'm not surprised you don't want to get rid of him!

It has to be managed. As for Gus as a member for 50 years I cannot recall anyone who walked back more slowly so it is unsurprising that he is not very vocal on this matter

Big Harvey (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 12:09
I was working as usual, so couldn't attend, but did e-mail some questions and points. I'm encouraged that at least one of them is being talked about, namely establishing a second ground that is fit for purpose and that we have control over.

I hope that most people attending the forum weren't of the keyboard warrior type who seem to want want mass sackings and wholesale changes to the playing and coaching staff. If there were personal attacks, then that is indeed wholly unacceptable. I made my view clear that I'm of the opinion that the main issue leading to our relegation from a very evenly contested division was one of lack of form rather than lack of class. Plus the low over rate culture proved to be a decisive factor of course, and that needs addressing. I actually like the fact that we're not constantly going around signing up other clubs' players and mainly concentrating on producing our own, and wouldn't want to see us become the new Surrey even if we could afford it.

Another question I asked was whether there were any plans for a winter boot camp like the successful one we had before our last Division 2 promotion season. Any idea whether this was mentioned?

Lifer (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 15:22
No mention of the boot camp but the comprehensive review of the season has hardly started so not surprising

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net