cricket
Latest News:


WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Winning catch. More of the same at Taunton, please!

 

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
 
Re: In support of Uxbridge
Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 10:38
Quote:
Haringey Racer
Quote:
Seaxe_Man
A welcome post. Middlesex given their unique situation ground and financewise have been using outgrounds since 1980. In chronological order Uxbridge 1980, Southgate 1991, Richmond 2000, Shenley 2003, Radlett 2013, Merchant Taylors 2014. There was a one off in 1959 at Hornsey.


You missed out the Oval.

Good spot HR. It may even be the oldest. I think I read somewhere that we played a home match there just before WW2, maybe 1939 v Notts.

And of course more recently in 2008 T20 semi v Lanky. And Somerset in a T20 in 2014 where the now departed Higgo got some runs.

 
Re: In support of Uxbridge
Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 10:41
Quote:
Haringey Racer
Don't know about 1975 but the first round Gillette Cup game in 1982 was played at Enfield - while I was at Southampton for my graduation ceremony.

Correct HR. I saw the match. We put Cheshire to the sword in the NW Cup. Last Gillette 1980.

 
Re: In support of Uxbridge
Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 10:45
Quote:
Beeamazed
There was a 3 day match at Hornsey in late 50's early 60''s I'm certain
I was,there as a young chap remember seeing Derek Shackleton both up the
steep hill..

Your memory has'nt let you down bea. It was in 1959 versus Hampshire as you say. Match drawn.

I spoke to a bloke about 40 years ago who went as well. He said about 100 spectators were present.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2017 11:19 by Seaxe_Man.

 
Re: In support of Uxbridge
rod/ed (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 10:54
S-M,
I remember as a boy in the 60's visiting my cousins in Waltham Cross which had a Herts address. As a treat we were allowed to visit the local chippy, during the walk the street names changed from Herts to Middlesex , so that was obviously a boundary back then.

 
Re: In support of Uxbridge
Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 10:55
Quote:
PaulR_enfield
Am I correct in thinking we played a home game at Chelmsford around 1977? If the memory serves me rightly it was due to a Gillette Cup Semi Final being rearranged after being rained off or it may even have been the semi itself?

You are correct Paul. It was played due to Lords unavailability at Chelmers against Somerset.

Match drawn and we picked up 7 handy points. We had a choice of Chelmers or the Oval. Selected the former as thought to be more bowler friendly. We shared the championship with Kent so the choice was the right one.

We played a 15 over slog in the Gillette semi v cidermen during what was another rain sodden summer in the same period.

Saw the game. Got them out for 59 and knocked off the runs, beating Glammy in the final.

 
Re: In support of Uxbridge
Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 11:05
Quote:
The Diamond ruled ok
Also played there when the square/drainage was being relayed at Lord's one year,the club even laying on mini buses for the "home"support to get there.Can't remember the year,the result or much else, just thinking when we got to Chelmsford "glad this isn't my home ground".

Yup Diamond. The occasion was a 40 Sunday over home match which we transferred to Chelmers v Essex. It was rain affected as I recall and truncated to 16 overs I seem to remember.

We got soundly walloped, Fraser played, so , pre 2002.

 
Re: In support of Uxbridge
Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 11:09
Quote:
Darren Gosling
We've also played a 'home' game at Chelmsford I recall...a B & H game- I remember getting a coach there that Middx laid on....

Darren. I could be wrong but I think you are referring to the same match as Diamond. Coaches were definitely laid on for the Sunday League match at Chelmers. Can't remember a BH game being shunted there.

 
Re: In support of Uxbridge
Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 11:14
Another omission. Back in 1981 the then MX Secretary, had a connection with Watford Town CC.

So he arranged for MX to play the tourists Sri Lanka there. The match status was a friendly and we lost.

 
Re: In support of Uxbridge
Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 11:27
Diamond. You should have been with myself, Rod/Ed, Kev and Rogers over and Out, in the Green Door Bar in Southport back in June.

There we could as a group, have put our left legs in, take our left legs out and shake them all about. Do the hokey cokey that's what its all about. Oh the hokey cokey ra ra ra.

 
Re: In support of Uxbridge
adelaide (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 11:56
Quote:
rod/ed
S-M,
I remember as a boy in the 60's visiting my cousins in Waltham Cross which had a Herts address. As a treat we were allowed to visit the local chippy, during the walk the street names changed from Herts to Middlesex , so that was obviously a boundary back then.

Same boundary now, though officially between Greater London and Hertfordshire. Both sides of the boundary (and well beyond) have an EN postcode however.

As a postscript (I hope) I give you the village of Fowlmere, postal address Royston, Hertfordshire, SG8... though the village is well inside Cambridgeshire (and always has been). Its historic post town (sorting office?) was in Royston, which is in Hertfordshire, hence the address. Its more modern mail management is done miles away in Stevenage, hence SG. I worked for someone who seemed to devote half his life to trying to get the village a Cambridge postcode but has obviously failed (he was more interesting than that suggests, having been on the first expedition to Gough Island off Tristan da Cuhna, and you can't get much more remote than "off Tristan da Cuhna").

Postcodes, post towns, counties in official postal addresses ... eveyrthing to do with the organisation of the Royal Mail and nothing to do with true counties, old or new.


Adelaide

 
Re: In support of Uxbridge
Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 11:59
Diamond/Darren. The match at Chelmsford to which you refer was in 2000.

It was a National League 1st v Essex. As stated we lost.

Full details 23 overs not 16. We hammered 83 for 9. Fraser not out 6. Top score DC Nash not out 25. This in reply to Essex's 143 all out off 22.4 overs. Nasser Hussain 60.

Fraser 5-0-18-4. Aaron Laraman remember him 5-1-16-1 Johnson 4.4-0-31-2 Hewitt 4-0-31-0

Weekes 3-0-28-2. Shah 1-0-19-0

 
Re: In support of Uxbridge
Beeamazed (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 12:05
Quote:
Seaxe_Man
Quote:
Beeamazed
There was a 3 day match at Hornsey in late 50's early 60''s I'm certain
I was,there as a young chap remember seeing Derek Shackleton both up the
steep hill..

Your memory has'nt let you down bea. It was in 1959 versus Hampshire as you say. Match drawn.

I spoke to a bloke about 40 years ago who went as well. He said about 100 spectators were present.

 
Re: In support of Uxbridge
Beeamazed (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 12:08
Quote:
Seaxe_Man
Quote:
Beeamazed
There was a 3 day match at Hornsey in late 50's early 60''s I'm certain
I was,there as a young chap remember seeing Derek Shackleton both up the
steep hill..

Your memory has'nt let you down bea. It was in 1959 versus Hampshire as you say. Match drawn.

I spoke to a bloke about 40 years ago who went as well. He said about 100 spectators were present.

Probably less than that.
One thing I remember well was the racket from the open air pool
right next to the ground.
Home game for me being a "Muswellhillbilly"..😀

 
Re: In support of Uxbridge
adelaide (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 12:18
Wouldn't it be nice if Essex were able to return to Ilford and Leyton. Ilford was in a public park but I presume the Leyton ground, which looked fine when I went past it a few months back, is not.

One sad sight encountered on a Dollis Valley walk last summer was an overgrown cricket ground and decrepit ex-pavilion just next to the abandoned Underhill football ground. I wonder who played there?



Adelaide

 
Re: In support of Uxbridge
PaulR_enfield (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 23:09
Quote:
Seaxe_Man

You are correct Paul. It was played due to Lords unavailability at Chelmers against Somerset.

Match drawn and we picked up 7 handy points. We had a choice of Chelmers or the Oval. Selected the former as thought to be more bowler friendly. We shared the championship with Kent so the choice was the right one.

We played a 15 over slog in the Gillette semi v cidermen during what was another rain sodden summer in the same period.

Saw the game. Got them out for 59 and knocked off the runs, beating Glammy in the final.

Thanks S_M, Thought so, I didn't go to many games in those days but seemed to recall that Kent were none too happy about it at the time!

 
Re: In support of Uxbridge
Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
13 October, 2017 14:54
Quote:
rod/ed
S-M,
I remember as a boy in the 60's visiting my cousins in Waltham Cross which had a Herts address. As a treat we were allowed to visit the local chippy, during the walk the street names changed from Herts to Middlesex , so that was obviously a boundary back then.

Rod/Ed. Things may be moving in our direction in high places. A letter was sent to the Telegraph by seven MPs. Headed 'Feeling at home again in the historic counties' I quote the letter in full.

Sir - Our 92 counties, many of them 1000 years old, are a key part of our heritage as geographic and reference points. While in Northern Island county identity is clear, in England, Scotland and Wales the situation is blurred.

Legislation in the Sixties and Seventies caused confusion in county identity by mixing traditional counties with administrative creations. More latterly, 'cermonial' counties have clashed with traditional counties.

This arose despite the protests of millions who did not want county identity messed with, but were forced to live in new areas.

Government initiatives recently have tried to offset confusion by stressing the continued existence of counties. The job is half done.

Counties must be re-established as standard references for cultural, sporting and other activities.

A government Bill is needed to ensure that 'county' refers to traditional counties only, with no separate administrative or ceremonial ' counties'. Council areas could be simply called 'areas'. Ceremonial lieutenancies must align to real counties.

We need to take care of areas of fire, police and 'regions' used for statistics.

The Government must encourage use of county names and boundaries for maps, signs, post, national media and business, including online.

Councils should promote counties, children be taught about them, and tourist centres to refer to them.

A Bill, created by the British Counties Campaign, enacted now, will allow county use for practical, economic and cultural benefit.

It will eliminate county confusion. We will know where we are now, as well as where we are going.

 
Re: In support of Uxbridge
Beeamazed (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 13:46
Quote:
adelaide
Wouldn't it be nice if Essex were able to return to Ilford and Leyton. Ilford was in a public park but I presume the Leyton ground, which looked fine when I went past it a few months back, is not.
One sad sight encountered on a Dollis Valley walk last summer was an overgrown cricket ground and decrepit ex-pavilion just next to the abandoned Underhill football ground. I wonder who played there?



Adelaide
Barnet CC once a powerhouse in Herts cricket played there for most of the
20th century.
They went belly up about 20 years ago due to lack of support and management.
A Middx two's game was staged there before th a sad demise and was
abandoned after a few overs due to a dangerous wicket.
Perhaps someone could dig out more info...

 
Re: In support of Uxbridge
PaulR_enfield (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 14:13
Barnet CC was, maybe or maybe not officially but certainly in reality, taken over by the football club who used the clubhouse as a supporters club/matchday bar until they moved from Underhill.

Didn't realise that the cricket club had been left derelict since Barnet FC moved out.

 
Re: In support of Uxbridge
Beeamazed (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 21:42
[quote PaulR_enfield]Barnet CC was, maybe or maybe not officially but certainly in reality, taken over by the football club who used the clubhouse as a supporters club/matchday bar until they moved from Underhill.

Didn't realise that the cricket club had been left derelict since Barnet FC moved out.[/quote

The cricket club was well extinct by the time the Bees left Underhill

 
Re: In support of Uxbridge
PaulR_enfield (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 22:10
Quote:
Beeamazed

The cricket club was well extinct by the time the Bees left Underhill

Only ever went there in the depths of winter towards the end so I had no idea, I do remember one year going to a match at Underhill in late summer and having a pint before the game while there was a cricket match on there, can't remember how long ago that was.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net
 

Who is online?

Total users online:  

Most users online:  

Users on this site:  

Where are they?