cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Winning catch. More of the same at Taunton, please!

Simon Marks
BarmierKev (IP Logged)
03 November, 2017 00:12
After my walking football session today I met a newcomer to our group called Simon Marks. He claimed he opened the batting for Middlesex in the 1980's. I was following our team then and recall some of our occasional performers, but have no recollection of this guy. I could not successfully Google him either. He was familiar with names of our players at that time and sounded genuine.

Anyone out there who can did up some info would be appreciated.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Re: Simon Marks
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
03 November, 2017 08:51
Just gone through all my Wisden's for the 1980's.

In those days they gave 2nd I averages in full.

No sign of a Simon Marks at all, and there was definitely never ever any one on the staff of that name.

Even 30 plus years on I can recall the names of 'significant' club players of the time- and he rings no bells at all.

He might have meant he played club cricket in the Middlesex County League, but nowhere near our first team.

To sum up- I'e never heard of him.

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
03 November, 2017 10:36
He said he has played with Ramps and both the Frasers. He mentioned Jamie Sykes. I would have heard of him even if he played one game for us or for 2nds. My guess he probably played for Stanmore with Middlesex players when off duty.

Barmy Kev

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
03 November, 2017 10:49
did a Google search on name,nothing came back to me on him.

adelaide (IP Logged)
03 November, 2017 13:04
Pseudonym?

Adelaide

03 November, 2017 13:51
Quote:
adelaide
Pseudonym?

Adrian Shankar?

Won three Wimbledon titles, and played left back for Arsenal, as well as being part of The America's Cup winning team (yachting)

Also the first cricketer in space, and holder of the land speed record (allegedly)

adelaide (IP Logged)
03 November, 2017 14:41
Pseudonym, I said, not rhyming slang...

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
03 November, 2017 15:26
I have found it he played for Middlesex schools. Not quite Middlesex first team. He went to John Lyon in same year as Alistair Fraser.

Barmy Kev

03 November, 2017 17:40
In that case can I name drop a bunch of athletes I was in the same team as from about 1976 ? A few of them went on to far better achievements than I ever did finishing third in the 1500 metres for Middlesex Schools.

03 November, 2017 19:23
Fair play to this Simon Marks character.

Without him there wouldn't have been any posts on MTWD today.

Bagpuss (IP Logged)
03 November, 2017 20:20
If anyone subscribes to Cricket Archive check him on there - you do get some club cricket as well as county stuff.

adelaide (IP Logged)
03 November, 2017 21:57
I think I'll avoid Kev's audiologist!

Adelaide

Fozzie (IP Logged)
05 November, 2017 19:53
As it happens, I too attended John Lyon school, though a decade earlier than Simon. Every season we yearned for the day when a cricketing colossus would transform our school team and make us s force throughout the county. It's reassuring to know that such a player did eventually emerge.

I've tracked down the school yearbook for 1985, which appears to have been Simon's last year at school. Sadly, the 1st XI had a mediocre record of W 3, D2, L 6, and the report opines thus:

"Much depended on Simon Marks getting the innings off to a good start, which he achieved in three innings of 54, 80 and 100. However, his contribution was too spasmodic to ensure that large scores were to be constantly made, especially when batting first." John Lyon's Scott Newman, perhaps?

Incidentally, in the following season no fewer than 5 members of the John Lyon team were picked to represent Middlesex Schools.

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
05 November, 2017 20:08
Simon has been selected for Barnet's over 50's Walking Cricket team based on what he told me. We will be playing a team South of the River in March and hope we can hang on to him.

Barmy Kev

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
06 November, 2017 10:19
Never heard of him. What was his average?

Beeamazed (IP Logged)
08 November, 2017 19:49
2.78. 😎

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net