cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Winning catch. More of the same at Taunton, please!

fixtures 2018
BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
04 November, 2017 13:27
Have just been looking,the release date for season 2017 was 25th Nov 2016.
I presume it will be about the same date this year.
Day/Night county games again?
Same set up with a lot of week day county games?
Who will we play only once in 2018,and what venues will we use?
Same North/South group set up for the 50 over and t20 competitions?

Club chairmen are probably getting the fixtures sorted out in these couple of weeks,we wait with baited breath.

Re: fixtures 2018
04 November, 2017 13:58
Baited breath indeed Beefy.

Diary already purchased for next year, just needs those all imprortant holiday dates put in it and hotels etc booked for at least a season of fun filled county cricket at proper cricket grounds around the country.

Normally book two weeks leave for a couple of home games at Lord's,not next season though, far too many good away grounds to visit.Who will we miss out on playing away though?Please don't let it be Glamorgan.

International ticket for next season already purchased for the T20 in Cardiff v India. That will be rocking as it always is when they play there,fans turning up from all over the country to see their side India play.£40 a ticket,that's a £1 an over sad smiley Got to be done though.
Bring it on !

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
04 November, 2017 14:20
Will be using my a/l carefully once fixtures out.
Diary has been filled with shifts so can sort out away trips for county games and the odd 50 over game.
Fingers crossed we get an outground or two,Cheltenham,Swansea or Colwyn Bay would be nice.
Will it be all 7 home games played at Lord's?

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
04 November, 2017 14:55
I am not aware of there being any intention for the county structure and the composition of the Royal London Cup and Twenty20 groups to be different in 2018 compared to in 2017.

I imagine that one round of County Championship matches will once again be played as day/night matches, as the demand for Test matches to be played as such is more likely to increase than decrease in the coming years.

In 2017, a lot of Championship matches included weekend play at the start of the season, yet hardly any did during the second half, so hopefully 2018 will see matches including weekend play across a larger fraction of the season.

I am not sure whether the identity of the teams who will play twice or once in next's season's Championship will be influenced by geography or whether it will be determined by the fixtures computer. If geography is taken into account, it would make sense for Sussex and Kent to be amongst the teams we play twice, although ironically, Kent have always been one of the two teams we have only played once each season in the Twenty20 group matches since that competition adopted its present asymmetrical format in 2014. Whatever happens, surely it would be perfect to play the top and bottom sides twice in next season’s Championship campaign, and only play the middle teams once, as matches against the top sides provide an opportunity to take points off such sides, and matches against the bottom sides provide an obvious opportunity to pick up points. If there is a top side who we only play once, then it means that one meeting could be vital in the context of the season.

Richard Goatley said at the post-season forum that he hopes we will be able to schedule every home Championship match next season at Lord’s, which I think last happened in 1979. That would surely be popular with many supporters and staff at Middlesex and opponents, and would mean we will not have to play at Uxbridge in September. However, playing every Championship home match at Lord’s will depend on if MCC can accommodate it, and it may mean we would be unable to play three of our four Royal London Cup group matches there like we did in 2017. If we have to stage two or three RLC matches at outgrounds, Uxbridge would be amongst the obvious beneficiaries, although alternatives include giving Radlett a second match, bringing Southgate back on the circuit (as it sounds like we are open to doing), or playing at Merchant Taylors’ School or Richmond.

In 2010 and 2014, it was decided to alter the date or start time of Twenty20 matches and consequently Championship matches to reduce overlaps with England matches in the football World Cup. However, as the Twenty20 tournament in 2018 is unlikely to start until just before or just after the World Cup final on 15th July, there shouldn’t be any impact on cricket.

14 November, 2017 18:58
After rain washed out much of Middlesex v Hampshire at Uxbridge and all of Derbyshire v Kent at Chesterfield in September 2017, advice has been issued that counties should not schedule matches at outgrounds before mid-May or in September.

[edited to correct grammar]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/11/2017 18:59 by Jonathan Winsky.

adelaide (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 19:15
Quote:
Jonathan Winsky
After rain washed out much of Middlesex v Hampshire at Uxbridge and all of Derbyshire v Kent at Chesterfield in September 2017, advice has been issued that counties should not schedule matches at outgrounds before mid-May or in September.
[edited to correct grammar]

To whom is this advice addressed? Once Middlesex had been allocated a home match there was no option but to use an outground. So will the fixture compilers be under strict instructions not to allocate home matches due to start during (or not long after) an international match?

Derbyshire's position was different, as they chased the pop concert money. Personally I think they should have been docked points for indulging poor taste in music.

Adelaide

15 November, 2017 04:59
The cash cows that are pre/post T20 concerts in the early/late summer with the long evenings (ideal for T20 cricket (but what the heck )) are very enticing to many Counties with a big boost to their coffers from a source of people who would probably not go near the ground other than to watch a concert.

If some of these folk become cricket watchers because of a concert surely counties can claim they were doing out reach work rather than just stuffing some "brass in pocket" ?

Damp at outgroounds pre May and post September? Wow,well worked out ECB,it's called weather,we get it every year and sometimes the best of the summer is around these months with the middle a total wash out. If their weather forcasting is as good as their cricket management in general I look forward to roasting mmy butt off in mid April next year.

As Adelaide eludes to we (Middlesex) are in no position to dictate where our home fixtures are played (or when) so our chances of points deductions become less than all the other counties though a way to get us will still probably be devised.

Fozzie (IP Logged)
17 November, 2017 16:21
The club have replied to A question on Facebook to say that the 2018 fixture list will be released on 28/29 November. Not sure why it's spread over two days...

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
17 November, 2017 19:14
Two days to release fixtures?
Probably going to do the important ones first,County Championship and then t20 and 50 over next day.
I did hear the 50 over next year is going to be an open draw for group stages,has anyone else heard same?

17 November, 2017 19:20
For the 2017 season, the Twenty20 fixtures were announced at 6:00pm on 24th November 2016 and the fixtures for the two other competitions were announced at midnight, so it looks like something similar will happen with the 2018 fixtures.

I suppose staggering the announcement means that ECB will get the satisfaction of feeling that supporters will spend a few hours one day discussing the Twenty20 competition before they switch their attention to the two other competitions. However, most supporters will find it a bit silly that information will be withheld from them until midnight.

As it happens, I anticipate seeing the fixtures for all competitions in one go, as my plan for Tuesday 28th November is to go straight from work to football and to go to bed as soon as I get home without accessing the internet at all that day. At least this means the fixtures would not be drip-dropped to me.

18 November, 2017 05:52
The drip feed of fixtures may be that they are saving the best till last, ie they will announce the T20, RL and CC div 1 fixtures one day and then the CC div 2 the next, just leaving it long enough for the "what if" merchants to pile into them and work out that Durham to Somerset,to Leeds,to Durham again and down to Hove is not a very good fixture list inside a week.

There will be the sandard cock ups,ommissions and mega journies the list always throws up. Thing is, they know it is an 8/10 split CC and the size of one day cricket groups and it is the same every year,they have a calander as well so why not work out team A plays team B at ? without even knowing the names of which county are in which division? Allocating out grounds for county weeks or as cover for Test matches etc can also be factored in (Englands future fixtures list with venues being known 3 years in advance).

Just seems to me they make hard work of something relitively simple every year.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
18 November, 2017 09:41
I must admit,I can't understand the secrecy surrounding the fixtures,just publish them on Thursday at 11am.
There is bound to be a couple of TBA grounds and dates.
Games will no doubt move due to the world cup,times will change due to sky coverage,but that's only t20 and 50 over games.
So,ECB,stop being pillocks and just release the white smoke and tell us what we want to know so we can start planning leave at work and get travel plans started.
Makes you laugh..sshhhh,let's do a midnight release (if that's the time),is that due to the time difference in Australia?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net