cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP Diamond

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Re: fixtures 2018
BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 12:18
All 7 home county games played on the lawn.
But,20 days leave to be put in at work tonight..Durham last game of season,Derbyshire away,Gloucestershire away,Leicestershire and Kent as well away.
And,don't forget we have the Aussies on June 9th as well.
Is there a day/night county game??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/11/2017 12:27 by BeefyRoberts.

stockmos (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 12:34
I thought just this month, following Derbyshire's wash-out at Chesterfield, the ECB Cricket Discipline Commission advised all first-class counties not to use out grounds before mid-May or in September. Yet Middlesex are playing Durham MCCU at Merchant Taylor's on April 7.

Not complaining, just curious as that seems counter to that advice, or is it optional?

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 12:47
I doubt pre-season games are felt same way as a county game.
Sometimes,the weather at start and end of season can be better!
Apart from Beckenham vs Kent in t20 (no thanks!) There are no other outgrounds for away games mentioned to visit as yet.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 12:57
Uxbridge seems to be getting sidelined, with all championship games at Lord's, 5 T20's at Lord's, and just one 50 over at HQ.

Uxbridge is left with just one T20 v Gloucestershire on 8th July.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/11/2017 13:14 by chunkyinargyll.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 14:28
According to the club website and fixture list,Kent away starting 25th June is the day/night county game.
With the World Cup football draw on Friday,will any fixtures dates or timings be changed?

29 November, 2017 14:39
Also a one day game v Australia at Lord's on 9th June.

They are over for a one day series.

stockmos (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 14:48
Quote:
BeefyRoberts
I doubt pre-season games are felt same way as a county game.
Sometimes,the weather at start and end of season can be better!

I understand where you are coming from, though for the record it's not a pre-season game. First class and performances count in the 2018 English season's averages.

Lifer (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 16:01
But its not a championship game either.

29 November, 2017 16:07
The official ECB site must be the most user unfriendly site of all time.

I've been trying to find a site giving ALL 2018 fitures, including international matches, in chronological order. If it's on their useless site I can't find it.

So far this is the best I can do.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

At least you can easily navigate between competitions. Viewing all fixtures on a day can give a clue which games will be on Sky.

For instance, T20 v Surrey 5th July (although there are two other matches on same day)
Somerset 19th July (one of two matches)
and Hampshire 26th July (only match) look favourites, but that would mean 3 out of 5 Lord's games being televised, so Somerset might miss out.

Royal London wise, possibly game v Glamorgan at SWALEC on 23rd May, as it is the only day/night match on that day.

Of course, there could be others, and none of that is confirmed, but being a long way from home, working out what might be on Sky is always one of my top priorities.

tallliman (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 18:28
Thinking Sussex away over the may bank holiday would be good fun!

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 18:29
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
Uxbridge seems to be getting sidelined, with all championship games at Lord's, 5 T20's at Lord's, and just one 50 over at HQ.
Uxbridge is left with just one T20 v Gloucestershire on 8th July.

The three extra days transferred from out grounds, under the lump sum agreement will give us financially the proverbial sweet @#$%& adams.

Under the lump sum arrangement for 2018, 34 days cricket will produce a daily revenue of circa 16grand for MX. Last year it was 31 days for the lump sum of £525,000. This was a daily revenue of 16900 approx. Uxbridge surplus for 2016 was £20,000, so worth the effort.

So 3 extra days at SJW should generate something like 50 grand but don't hold your breath on an increase..the lump sum agreement will generate a modest increase of circa 26grand for 2018...roundabout a day's surplus at an outground...

Lost is a lucrative T20 (gate + booze) which will disappear into the maw of the Landlords pocket.

Around 5500 attended at Uxbridge in this years two T20's, advance sales of 2100 tickets plus walk ups. So, can't see where we gain anything financially by reducing to one game.. Costs are charged at both grounds.

so, 3 extra days for no extra cash. Not a good deal. The T20 at an outground would certainly have provided dosh for our bottom line.

Also Richmond, which has retained its single match, had an excellent attendance of 4100.

Correction. 3 RLC games at outgrounds. Crowds at SJW for midweek RLC games are not great and were blessed with freezing temperatures in the season just past. Two washouts and two points. The one played v Gloucs, we were soundly beaten.

The likely most populous one v Surrey has been retained.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/11/2017 15:13 by Seaxe_Man.

29 November, 2017 18:33
Quote:
tallliman

Good spot.

Whether by accident or design, that's an old tradition revived.

Ok- it's Mayday bank holiday, rather than whitsun (and ends Bank Holiday Monday)

29 November, 2017 18:43
S_M

3 out of our 4 home Royal London matches are at outgrounds

Essex at Radlett 17 May
Kent at Radlett 20 May
Hampshire Merchant Taylor's 30 May

With just Surrey at Lord's 3rd June

Don't know what happens if we astound everyone and get a home tie in the semi-final (actually 2nd/3rd playoff against north group)

I suppose the change in emphasis is to get us used to the year 2020, when all 50 over comp will have to be at our outgrounds.

tallliman (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 19:30
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
Quote:
tallliman

Good spot.

Ok- it's Mayday bank holiday, rather than whitsun (and ends Bank Holiday Monday)

Will Nick fall over and hit a 6 whilst falling and damage his knee like Denis in '47.....seem to think that was Hove (or Eastbourne?)

29 November, 2017 19:37
Quote:
tallliman
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
Quote:
tallliman

Good spot.

Will Nick fall over and hit a 6 whilst falling and damage his knee like Denis in '47.....seem to think that was Hove (or Eastbourne?)

Ever so slightly before my time!

Seaxe_Man might have been there.....

29 November, 2017 20:24
Seems our Landlords are the only real winners out of next seasons fixture list.

Will spend the weekend (when a website produces a decent spread sheet of the fixtures) working out leave etc.

No away CC in Wales is rather annoying, might have to just go down there for a week and spy on an opponent and Glamorgan in the summer.

Durham away is a defo and I'm thinking Derby or Leicester, Hove will be expensive for accomadation and is well doable in a day for one or two days instead.

Choices,choices and some CC on the weekend too.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 20:59
Although I can accept watching Middlesex staging matches at outgrounds, I admit that I prefer matches to be played at Lord’s. Therefore, I am glad to see that we will play all of our home County Championship matches there (I think the last time no Championship matches were scheduled for outgrounds was 1979), and that we will play more Twenty20 matches there than in any previous season.

Quote:
Fozzie
As far as I can see from a quick glance (and I may be mistaken), in the CC we don't play Durham or Leica at home, or Warks or Gloucs away

We will indeed not play Durham or Leicestershire at home, while the two teams we will not play away will be Warwickshire and Glamorgan. I tend to think that it is preferable to play the mid-table sides once and the other sides twice, as that would give two opportunities to prevent the top sides from gaining points and two opportunities to face the weaker sides. We will have to see how the 2018 season will actually pan out, but if ourselves and Warwickshire are both in the promotion race, then it could make the meeting at Lord’s in late-July crucial for keeping the sides in the promotion race, while it could also play a big role in deciding the destination of the division two title. If Leicestershire struggle, it could be a disadvantage that some other counties will get an extra match against them.

The aforementioned match v Warwickshire visually sticks out on the fixturelist, as it will be the second season running we will face them in a Championship match at Lord’s in the middle of the Twenty20 competition, so hopefully we will perform much better than in the corresponding match in 2017.

It is nice to see that our first five Championship matches are scheduled to include two days of weekend play. However, before anyone starts proclaiming that that means there will be lots of weekend Championship cricket, five of our final nine matches will begin on a Monday or Tuesday, with the others matches consisting of two Sunday starts and two matches which will begin on a Wednesday and thus only include weekend play if the match goes the full distance.

As ever, I intend to go to the Twenty20 match v Surrey at The Oval if I can get a ticket. Apart from that, the only other away matches I can see myself going to will be a day or two of the Championship match v Sussex at Hove (depending on the weather, match position and Watford FC fixtures) and the Twenty20 match v Kent at Beckenham (again, depending on Watford, or - more pertinently - whether Sky or BT make them play on the Sunday). I am glad that we will play a Twenty20 match at Beckenham, as it is easier to get to than Canterbury or cricket’s other venues, and I saw us play there in 2005. We were also scheduled to play there in 2009, but the match got moved to Canterbury after I had purchased my ticket, so although I got a full refund, it caused Lower Mound to accuse me of acting too quickly!

I look forward to attending the match v Australia.

Quote:
BeefyRoberts
With the World Cup football draw on Friday,will any fixtures dates or timings be changed?

I would have thought that the only possibility of the football World Cup impacting the cricket fixtures would be if England matches coincide with Twenty20 matches. The only potential overlap with Middlesex Twenty20 matches is that two quarter-finals will take place on Friday 7th July, when we will Essex at Chelmsford. The World Cup group stages and last 16 will have been completed by the time our Twenty20 campaign starts, while the semi-finals and final take place while Middlesex have an 11-day period without any matches. As England have only won two knockout matches in World Cups or European Championships since 1996, three since 1990, (pardon the tongue-twister) six since 1966 and none since 2006, the laws of probability say they won't reach the quarter-finals.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 22:17
Thanks for your correction chunky. I missed the Kent game at Radlett. From what was said at the last Forum, I think the Kent game was pencilled in for Southgate.

However, negotiations presumably failed and Radlett are beneficiaries. 3 RLC away from the lawn seem reasonable bearing in mind they have an extra 3 days of cricket overall.

However, one of those is a lucrative T20. As I said previously, don't hold your breath for a bonus.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 04:09
Just a little advance warning for Derbyshire away....Saturday April 21st,Derby County are at home to Middlesboro,check hotel prices if thinking about doing all 4 days of our game.

Also,day 2 of Sussex at Hove,5th May,Brighton are at home to man utd,same thing about hotels,although the ground is away from the city centre.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/11/2017 05:28 by BeefyRoberts.

tallliman (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 11:55
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
Quote:
tallliman
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
Quote:
tallliman

Good spot.

Ever so slightly before my time!

Seaxe_Man might have been there.....

Well before me as well, I read a lot of Wisden!

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net