cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Winning catch. More of the same at Taunton, please!

The Kings of Summer
Middlesex till we die (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 10:15
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2017 07:37 by BarmierKev.

Re: The Kings of Summer
BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 18:14
Having also owning this book (with grateful thanks) I agree with everything PH has said.
It's a great book to read with so many fabulous memories.
If you haven't got it yet,I recommend adding to the list for Santa.

Fozzie (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 19:10
Duncan Hamilton is a fine writer with a great love for the game. I picked up A Last English Summer, which PH refers to, in a charity shop earlier this year. It's a tour round various different grounds over the course of a season, taking in a range of different fixtures (though none involving Middlesex, if I remember rightly). The title reflects Hamilton's fear that T20 will irrevocably destroy the fabric of the game in England. It's a nostalgic book, but in a good way, with many evocative memories of his grandfather who first took him to Trent Bridge.

Hamilton was a local sports journalist in Nottingham for many years, and he made his name as an author with prize-winning biographies of Harold Larwood and Brian Clough (Provided You Don't Kiss Me), both of which are well worth reading.

Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 20:24
I agree, Fozzie, the Larwood book is full of wonderful anecdotes of that time.

My favourite in paraphrase is when some poor silly sod cheeked Larwood and Voce and bounced them when Notts batted first.

When he batted, retribution was swift, and after a few balls to make him aware of his folly, and the danger he was now in, he edged one that bounced just in front of first slip, and was off to the Pavillion and safety without looking to see if it had carried or even been caught.

"Hang on," shouts first slip, "I didn't catch it."

"Yes, you b......... b.......... b....... bloody did", came the reply.

27 November, 2017 21:00
Just ordered it on a well known website based in Milton Keynes , Just over £6 , got to be worth a punt.

Muntjac (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 19:11
Thank you for the review PH. It is well worth a purchase for any cricket fan......not just the bias MCCC supporter. Hamilton is a fine writer and 'A Last English Summer' is well worth a read. I read it on holiday the year of the birth of my first daughter.

Fozzie (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 15:07
Picked Kings of Summer up in Waterstones today. Quite a slim volume, but I'm looking forward to reading it. Thanks for the heads up, PH.

07 December, 2017 05:02
Finished it yesterday evening,an excellent read and it will now be passed on to a fellow long suffering CC fan to enjoy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net