cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Winning catch. More of the same at Taunton, please!

Lord's Match Day Experience
johnph (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 15:43
I have extracted this from the notes I posted on the MCC/Middlesex Q&A.

This was the first question from the floor.

The match day experience is poor for Middlesex members. MCC is not welcoming and says no. No examples of this were given nor none asked for. A: GL/RG (I think) said they would look at this. (NB: this seems like a worthwhile topic to post on the Message Board, not so much for negativity, but for improvement opportunities.)

I think that it would be worthwhile thinking about both the positives of the experience we receive and where opportunities for improvement might be.

Re: Lord's Match Day Experience
BarmierKev (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 16:50
On the positive side the stewarding is generally a lot more friendly. The bag searches have been handled in the right efficient manner.

Negatives. One game last season in Upper Compton we took shelter by stairs in no ones way but were told to move for health and safety. No common sense.

The dress code is draconian. A decently dressed lady was wearing flip flops in hot weather and was banished from the Warner . Similarly when it’s raining heavily you cannot take shelter in members areas without a collar.

The other annoying thing is regularly the announcer mispronouncing the names of our players. There is no feel this is a home game.

Hope this helps.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 20:02
Stewardship is running along well on the whole,agree with the bag searches going along smoothly,sadly part of how we are these days.
With technology these days,the scoreboard occasionally not working is unacceptable,as is trying to gain access to the cloud internet and always having problems.

The Tavern,I don't know how many times myself,and plenty of others have asked for draught drinks to be topped up to the legal marks on glasses (even after emails to MCC about this matter).

Warner Stand view is good,able to stand on mid level is good to do,and stand is well built.

Just need more around the ground to say we play there.

Dress code and Middlesex Room.....How long have we got?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2017 11:21 by BeefyRoberts.

adelaide (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 20:56
I do find the whole dress code thing irksome. I don't go to cricket matches in order to pretend I am still at work so why do I have to dress as if I were in order to get into the pavilion (I'm usually OK for other members' areas)? It smacks of the establishment at play and I don't think that is appropriate for this day and age; it is one of the reasons why some prefer the atmosphere at The Oval. To me, Ladies' Day does the same by encouraging people to pretend they are at Royal Ascot; the very name given would put off some women. For similar reasons I would make Eton, Harrow and Oxbridge the first names up against the wall in order to reduce pressure on the playing area.

Talking of which, when I was a lad there was no problem accommodating 14 three day matches plus one day matches within a season, so forgive me for only hollering one cheer at the thought of all seven CC matches being at Lord's next year. Also, all stands used to be open for all matches; while I suspect the reason is to reduce costs (or perhaps make it easier to ensure security) it would be nice to know why.

From the other thread, free entry for accompanied under-16s would surely pay off in the long run, if the ECB has not killed off county cricket in the medium term.

If they could move the tube station a few hundred yards nearer it would be nice...

Adelaide

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 21:08
Adelaide-

Agree with every single word of the above.

I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but there was a tube station right next door, but it closed, not directly because of the outbreak of WW2, but more because the Bakerloo tunnels opening between Baker Street and Finchley Road.

[en.wikipedia.org]

03 December, 2017 10:03
Free entry for kids under 16 ?

More chance of free entry for the over 80's so long as they are accompanied by a parent.

Stewarding has improved a good deal in the last few years,the regular guys and gals know what they are doing and how to do it politely. The "renta mob" who tend to get the mundane jobs like keeping peoples feet of seats and gangways clear need a training course in public interaction.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 11:11
Free entry is ruled out. 2019 - World Cup and Ashes - not too sure there will be seven strips available then. Even with the three touted drop in jobs. A bit quieter in 2018.

The Middlesex Room experience - 2013 I think. Playing Derbyshire in May. Freezing cold. Headed round to the MR for a cup of tea.

Amazed when the bloke at the top of the steps said I was barred. Reason - no collar on my jumper.

For a club who bang on about attracting people to watch cricket - looks as though the left and righthand are on different pages.

Muntjac (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 19:18
I've always had a positive match day experience. Only a member since 2010, if I want to go in Pav I put on a tie, but I've only done it once and enjoyed it, I always wear a collar because I like the Middlesex Room. Prefer to spend my all too rare days in the main stands.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net