cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP Diamond

Annual Review
Muntjac (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 19:12
My now annual question, any idea when it is out? Seems to be later each year!

Re: Annual Review
07 December, 2017 05:00
Shouldn't be too long now,perhaps the club just don't want to ruin our Christmas,no good for raffle ticket sales though ......or is this now below us to do.Big sponsors,auctions of days in the committee room, who needs the chance of possibly having to meet someone with something real to say about last years p1ss poor defence of the CC.

Should be quite a slim volumne anyway.

adelaide (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 17:22
Arrived today. Gus's championship review does not pull any punches. "Were we, as a club, humble, hungry and harmonious. Sadly I have to sat the answer is NO."

Adelaide

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 17:49
I know of two people that have received their copy.
Been told some good reading in It,Mr Postman delivers late in Uxbridge!

18 December, 2017 19:18
Mine was waiting for me when I got home . Will read the review after I finish the three books I have to read first , Pochotinos one I'm half way through, Frank Bruno's latest autobiography after that and then a book on the BOAC disaster at Heathrow in 1968. I bet the review resembles a plane crash rather than the other two books though.

Point of order to anyone at the club reading this post, what is the point of a Middlesex raffle when only 2 of the 10 prizes is Middlesex related and both these items are for the ladies?

As for trying to sell 5 and 10 year memberships who in hell is going to buy one of those when we do not have a clue what sort of cricket we will be watching after 2020 when the Franchises nick all our best players for half the season? Someone really hasn't thought that through have they?

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 20:12
Mine landed at 1830 hrs tonight,postie on overtime?
Agree with the Winter draw,previously known as Christmas draw.More club based prizes would be a good selling point.
Will read review later,had few texts saying Gus review is worth a good read,will go direct after the introduction.
AGM is April 11th,stating two incumbents are up for nomination,being Andy West and Alvan Seth-Smith,new nominations are also welcome.
Back to review,why a pic of the 2008 t20 victory on the cover?

rod/ed (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 21:15
Surprised by cover, but there weren't many highlights to use. However it isn't the 2008 team. More likely the dramatic win over Sussex.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 22:17
I sit corrected,and thanks Rod/Ed for letting me know.
Shows how much I studied the picture!!!

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
19 December, 2017 13:01
Dear old Gus.

I love him.

Even so, as we are in the business of attempting to win silverware and providing our supporters with special memories, I would rather be a club that has highs like that of 2016 and the occasional low than one that never wins anything.

Well said my man, well said.

(Sm152)

rod/ed (IP Logged)
20 December, 2017 14:35
I have read Richard Goatley's article in which he states "we are all looking forward to having Dan (Vettori) back next year". This was a 3 year contract, so not unexpected, although he notes it was not a quick fix and Dan has built a base to build on.
However, during an extended interview during the summer DV opined that Twenty20 teams are best built round the No.7 and that he had targeted our No.7 specifically.
Who was our No.7? None other than Ryan Higgins, who left to further his red ball career!
So I'm not sure Ryan "greatly enjoyed the experience" as quoted.

Personally I'm not a great lover of Twenty20 so am largely indifferent to DVs return unless it undermines senior players and other coaches (which it may have done last year) and he brings back an out of touch McCullum to bring him up to speed before going to the Caribbean bash at the business end of our campaign.

Darren Gosling (IP Logged)
21 December, 2017 00:39
I thought DV made no impact on our T20 side, in fact I think we went backwards in all forms of cricket. I didn't think much of McCullum's captaincy either and thought we looked a better team in 2016 under Dawid Malan.
I'm not sure I can even face reading this year's review - do I really want to relive that cr4p again?
I'll certainly skip anything Goatley has written as I find him a very shallow character....

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
21 December, 2017 12:03
Unfortunately, there are a number of errors in the stats section. And we seem to have played Warwickshire away twice, though had we, may not have been a bad thing.

It was nice however to receive a hard copy for reference purposes now and in the future.

From second eleven downward, a more upbeat read.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
21 December, 2017 19:52
I began reading the book today.

I appreciate the honesty of Mike O’Farrell, Richard Goatley and - in particular - Angus Fraser when discussing how much Middlesex underperformed in 2017. Sometimes, senior members of staff at sport clubs can go into denial about the existence or size of problems, but that can’t be said of Gus.

I also appreciate that staff at the club seem to finally admit that it may have been a better idea to enforce the follow-on v Essex at Lord’s rather than bat again. Speaking to our Audioboom page after that match, Richard Scott was adamant that we had made the correct decision, and (until now) no-one at the club said that a mistake may have been made, even though most supporters felt at the end of Essex’s first innings that enforcing the follow-on would be more obvious due to there being rain and bad light on the way.

A lot of possible explanations for our relegation were put forward, including the possibility that our players may have been complacent and/or thought they are better than they really are. However, something not mentioned was that maybe the club may have been complacent in not making any signings last winter (and this winter for that matter). In saying that, I am not sure how realistic it is to expect the club to sign players, as most of the top county players are in-contract and thus can only sign with lots of negotiation and probably a transfer fee. Also, the club understandably prefer to give opportunities to Academy products. Still, it would have given the club a lift to make a signing of two.

About the only part of the book that makes me uncomfortable is when division one is referred to as where we belong, as that sounds a bit arrogant.

It is interesting that the 2018 AGM is set to start at 6:30pm. Usually, events such as that start at 6:00pm. However, the 2017 AGM started at 5:30pm, which I imagine a lot of people found to be too early (although admittedly a dinner was scheduled immediately after). A 6:30pm start may allow more people to attend.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net