cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Winning catch. More of the same at Taunton, please!

Travel hints and tips,season 2018
BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
07 December, 2017 13:08
As the fixtures have been published,thought its about right to start the usual helpful thread again!
Some of us like to book early,to get some good hotel deals.
With train travel,dont forget two singles are usually cheaper that buying a return ticket,but mostly only 3 months before travel date.At weekends,you can travel first class for an upgrade payable to the ticket inspector on train.
Durham in September,a long drive,of course,so looking into the possibility of flying to Newcastle,and catch train to Chester-Le-Street or Durham.Less traumatic to driving,and COULD be cheaper than the train.
As put on the fixtures 2018 thread....Derbyshire away and the Saturday of game Derby County are home to Middlesboro,so check hotels and travel before going up.
And,May 5th,Day 2 at Hove,Brighton are home to man utd,although the ground is away from city centre,i would check hotel prices early if staying down in Brighton.

I'm sure plenty will be added as we go along,but just a start for our adventures in 2018

Re: Travel hints and tips,season 2018
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 12:31
Anyone going to Durham and driving if you're looking for cheap but lovely B&B I can recommend the Royal Oak at Cornsay Colliery. Lovely pub. Open fire (very welcome after a day at CLS in April when Somerset usually played, and September for you). Good breakfast included and evening meals (tho no food served Sun pm if you're driving up then). Takes about 15 mins thru the back lanes to CLS avoids Durham so no traffic problems. Its out in the countryside so very peaceful, will take dogs (as does CLS ) and lovely walking in the area if there's no play (lets face it, this is Durham, its autumn!)

Sonia and Ian who's pub it is are lovely. I've stayed there six years running, one of my main disappointments with the £CB relegating Durham was I didn't get there in 2017. I paid I think £35 B&B for single room in 2016. They are on booking sites but you'll get same or maybe better price if you phone them direct. Tell them Bagpuss sent you!

Re: Travel hints and tips,season 2018
rod/ed (IP Logged)
13 December, 2017 15:20
Sounds a good pub, Bagpuss.
When the Ashes Test was at CLS recently local accommodation was at a premium and we stayed in the University Residences in Durham. Cheap and no frills, but at least there was bar on campus.
Don't expect the hotels etc to be fully booked for a CC match in late September!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net