cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Floodlights in use at last

Nick Compton Testimonial
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
20 December, 2017 12:59
[www.middlesexccc.com]

After the change a couple of budgets ago to tax benefit years, it seems most clubs now award testimonials instead.

I thought they were taxed as well (maybe not?) otherwise I don't see the reason for the change in policy.

Either way- Congratulations to Nick, and may it be a successful year for him.

Re: Nick Compton Testimonial
Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
20 December, 2017 19:30
This Testimonial is reward for Nick Compton’s great work over the years for Middlesex. Hopefully it will inspire him to have a great season and fire the club back to division one.

I think part of the club’s motivation for awarding him a Testimonial is that 2018 will mark 100 years since the birth of grandfather Denis, something of which there may be some publicity around Denis’s birthday of 23rd May, on which day Middlesex play a Royal London Cup match v Glamorgan at Sophia Gardens.

We will have to see how many of the events to mark Nick’s Testimonial will be targeted at the prawn and sandwich brigade and how much will be targeted at the type of supporters who post on MTWD.

21 December, 2017 04:47
All of the events will be targeted at the high end of the table. For years we have been asking for something for the "real" supporters to get involved with when there is a Testimonial/Benefit only to as ever not be listened to.

PS , don't make he tie a cheap cr@ppy one, for some of us it is the only contribution we will make buying one of those.

What ever the "event" is called surely they were always granted to players on length of service ie 10 years and at the end of a career? Nick has broken service with Middlesex so maybe this is just another thing that has been sidestepped.

Last time a player made any benefit money out of the support it was in plastic buckets carried through the stands on match days doing a collection.Many a pocket full of change I have put in on a Sunday for this. Not done nowadays,probably H&S and staffing issues forbid it.

EH Hendren (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 00:15
Congratulations to Nick Compton. Wishing you a successful Testimonial Year.

tbl (IP Logged)
26 March, 2018 00:07
I wish Nick well, but I wonder what the point of testimonials is now, given that cricketers are well paid. They were understandable in the past when cricketers wages were low, but surely they are no longer required? Does anyone know how much recent testimonials have raised?

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
26 March, 2018 18:59
A website has been launched for Nick Compton’s testimonial year. It seems like all proceeds will go to charity rather than his back pocket, as he will be supporting five charities, namely MIND, the PCA Benevolent Fund, the David Shepherd Wildlife Foundation, 67 Blankets for Nelson Mandela Day, and Frank Water.

Five events have been announced so far, but none of them are aimed at the average supporter.

Ivor's Tache (IP Logged)
26 March, 2018 21:32
I generally think the benefit/testimonial is good idea for the honest county pro who's served a club well but not had the financial benefits of international cricket (and in this day and age, IPL).

I read something about the taxation of benefit games changing ages ago, although the main purpose of this was so Revenue could get their hands on some of the chunky sums footballers were picking up!

Having never worked for a firm that has represented a cricketer awarded a benefit, recent changes in taxation of said year is something that has passed me by!

tbl (IP Logged)
26 March, 2018 21:42
Cricinfo article

Cricketers benefits are taxable except for the first £50,000.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
27 March, 2018 07:30
There must be some reason why most counties are now calling them 'testimonials' rather than 'benefits'.

I always thought a testimonial meant a player was given the gate receipts from one match, rather than a series if events, but that means the club lose out on receipts from one game.

If Compo's site is correct, he doesn't intend to make any money himself.

Edit- Last paragraph in cricinfo article above seems to suggest it has to be a 'testimonial' to get the first 50K exemption.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/03/2018 07:35 by chunkyinargyll.

EH Hendren (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 09:30
There has been a precedent for testimonials whether they take the place of a second benefit or is awarded to a recently retired cricketer (e.g. Michael Roseberry).

It appears that the context has changed since then.

Compton initially joined us from school. He has served us over two spells, either side of a successful period with Somerset. He has played several memorable innings for Middlesex whilst retaining his own style.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net