cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Tribute to Diamond at Leicester

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Nick Compton Testimonial
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
20 December, 2017 12:59
[www.middlesexccc.com]

After the change a couple of budgets ago to tax benefit years, it seems most clubs now award testimonials instead.

I thought they were taxed as well (maybe not?) otherwise I don't see the reason for the change in policy.

Either way- Congratulations to Nick, and may it be a successful year for him.

Re: Nick Compton Testimonial
Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
20 December, 2017 19:30
This Testimonial is reward for Nick Compton’s great work over the years for Middlesex. Hopefully it will inspire him to have a great season and fire the club back to division one.

I think part of the club’s motivation for awarding him a Testimonial is that 2018 will mark 100 years since the birth of grandfather Denis, something of which there may be some publicity around Denis’s birthday of 23rd May, on which day Middlesex play a Royal London Cup match v Glamorgan at Sophia Gardens.

We will have to see how many of the events to mark Nick’s Testimonial will be targeted at the prawn and sandwich brigade and how much will be targeted at the type of supporters who post on MTWD.

21 December, 2017 04:47
All of the events will be targeted at the high end of the table. For years we have been asking for something for the "real" supporters to get involved with when there is a Testimonial/Benefit only to as ever not be listened to.

PS , don't make he tie a cheap cr@ppy one, for some of us it is the only contribution we will make buying one of those.

What ever the "event" is called surely they were always granted to players on length of service ie 10 years and at the end of a career? Nick has broken service with Middlesex so maybe this is just another thing that has been sidestepped.

Last time a player made any benefit money out of the support it was in plastic buckets carried through the stands on match days doing a collection.Many a pocket full of change I have put in on a Sunday for this. Not done nowadays,probably H&S and staffing issues forbid it.

EH Hendren (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 00:15
Congratulations to Nick Compton. Wishing you a successful Testimonial Year.

tbl (IP Logged)
26 March, 2018 00:07
I wish Nick well, but I wonder what the point of testimonials is now, given that cricketers are well paid. They were understandable in the past when cricketers wages were low, but surely they are no longer required? Does anyone know how much recent testimonials have raised?

26 March, 2018 18:59
A website has been launched for Nick Compton’s testimonial year. It seems like all proceeds will go to charity rather than his back pocket, as he will be supporting five charities, namely MIND, the PCA Benevolent Fund, the David Shepherd Wildlife Foundation, 67 Blankets for Nelson Mandela Day, and Frank Water.

Five events have been announced so far, but none of them are aimed at the average supporter.

Ivor's Tache (IP Logged)
26 March, 2018 21:32
I generally think the benefit/testimonial is good idea for the honest county pro who's served a club well but not had the financial benefits of international cricket (and in this day and age, IPL).

I read something about the taxation of benefit games changing ages ago, although the main purpose of this was so Revenue could get their hands on some of the chunky sums footballers were picking up!

Having never worked for a firm that has represented a cricketer awarded a benefit, recent changes in taxation of said year is something that has passed me by!

tbl (IP Logged)
26 March, 2018 21:42
Cricinfo article

Cricketers benefits are taxable except for the first £50,000.

27 March, 2018 07:30
There must be some reason why most counties are now calling them 'testimonials' rather than 'benefits'.

I always thought a testimonial meant a player was given the gate receipts from one match, rather than a series if events, but that means the club lose out on receipts from one game.

If Compo's site is correct, he doesn't intend to make any money himself.

Edit- Last paragraph in cricinfo article above seems to suggest it has to be a 'testimonial' to get the first 50K exemption.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/03/2018 07:35 by chunkyinargyll.

EH Hendren (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 09:30
There has been a precedent for testimonials whether they take the place of a second benefit or is awarded to a recently retired cricketer (e.g. Michael Roseberry).

It appears that the context has changed since then.

Compton initially joined us from school. He has served us over two spells, either side of a successful period with Somerset. He has played several memorable innings for Middlesex whilst retaining his own style.

15 June, 2018 19:10
An article on Get Surrey says that Middlesex will play a match away to Weybridge CC on Sunday 15th July as part of Nick Compton’s Testimonial year.

lower pavilion (IP Logged)
17 June, 2018 11:48
I do not post much these days, but felt I had to contribute to this thread.

I wish to stress that my comments have nothing to do with Compton in particular, and I am sure he is a decent man and I wish him well when he retires.

However, I really do feel that testimonials and or benefits should be consigned to history.

I believe the average county cricketer today is very well paid, so why on earth should they get testimonials or benefits for simply doing their job.

The argument is that apparently it rewards loyalty, but players get testimonials and or benefits even when they have played for more than one club. I also understand that charities often benefit from these events, but I like many other people, regularly give to various charities throughout the year, without needing to do it via a players testimonial or benefit.

I say again, testimonials and or benefits were appropriate in years gone by when players were paid normal wages, but not any more.

When I retired, my company did not award me a testimonial and or benefit for long service. If I recall correctly, it was a round of drinks in a local pub, then with a wave goodbye, off I went into the sun set

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 17/06/2018 12:05 by lower pavilion.

tbl (IP Logged)
17 June, 2018 19:31
Good to see you back Lower Pavilion, I always enjoy your contributions to this board.

I completely agree - testimonials should be 100% for charity or not take place at all. They were needed when cricketers earned little more than the average wage (up to the 1980's?) but are wholly irrelevant today.

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
17 June, 2018 20:21
Hope to hear more words of wisdom from LP.

Last week he was at Lord's signing brochures in Harris Gardens for MCC types. This is a complete nonsense

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

adelaide (IP Logged)
17 June, 2018 21:26
Quote:
BarmierKev
Hope to hear more words of wisdom from LP.
Last week he was at Lord's signing brochures in Harris Gardens for MCC types. This is a complete nonsense

I did not realise that LP's signature was so valuable!

Adelaide

17 June, 2018 22:02
As I have written elsewhere, I don’t see the harm in Nick Compton having a Testimonial year, as it creates an opportunity to raise money for charity, none of the money goes into his back pocket, there seems to be no expectation for the average supporter to contribute, and the events mark the 100th anniversary of the birth of his grandfather Denis.

If the proceeds went into Compo’s back pocket and/or there was expectation that the average supporter would contribute, then I would feel that there would be more of a need to debate whether a Testimonial or Benefit is merited on the basis of his contribution to Middlesex and his prospects for life after cricket. For what it is worth, I agree with those feeling uncomfortable about Compo having a Testimonial year considering plenty of more talented players have passed through the club, and he seems to have a bright future in punditry.

lower pavilion (IP Logged)
17 June, 2018 23:55
Adelaide thanks for that.

For the the avoidance of any doubt, in case anyone has misunderstood Barmier Kev's above post, it was NOT me signing brochures in the Harris Gardens.

After a bit of a break from our totally unique site, it is good to be back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/06/2018 00:10 by lower pavilion.

18 June, 2018 07:06
Do they still pass the cap round at matches, saying, 'Please help this poor, destitute, penniless cricketer?'

Do we know for sure if it all goes to charity? It isn't absolutely clear to me. It might be 50/50 Compo and the charities.

It's a way of saying 'Thank you' to the player, and to someone like Tim Murtagh it probably made a significant difference.

If it's just 'Thank you' I suppose we could get him a giant 'Sorry you're leaving' card (big enough for 8,000 members signatures).

18 June, 2018 10:32
Badly handled by the club communicationwise. If it had been made clear that Compton would be working tirelessly to raise money for charity and to enable him to do this he would not be playing this season and would be donating all his earnings that he would be receiving for playing cricket to charity then that would have been fine.

However the paucity of information simply leaves a sour taste in the mouth.

18 June, 2018 10:59
Initially I thought he was giving everything to these charities, but having re-read the link JW provided a while back, it is not clear at all (maybe he is, and maybe he isn't)

Would be nice if something so important was made clear.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net