cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP JT Murray Middlesex legend

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Re: Nick Compton Testimonial
Mr. Trellis. (IP Logged)
18 June, 2018 13:34
Compton was, in fact, signing his testimonial brochures in The Coronation Garden.

Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
10 September, 2018 18:04
Firstly, my apologies. I was unsure as to which thread I should pen this message, but as it contains Nick Compton's name in its title I opted for this one.

I am predominantly a Somerset member of some 60 years standing, but until 2016 I held a country membership of Middlesex as well - had to relinquish that on account of finances.

I may have been sleeping for several months but do not recall seeing any official (or unofficial) reason as to why Nick has not been selected for any First Class cricket this year.

Is there an official reason for this, or is he regarded as being surplus to requirements in this his Testimonial Year? I assume (rightly or wrongly) that he is not injured.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
10 September, 2018 18:13
Tom-

Official reason is 'to give younger players a chance' and that is the only thing we have been told.

Initially that didn't seem unreasonable- as in a top order of Robson, Gubbins, Eskinazi, Malan, Morgan, Holden (the same six we have today), But, before the first match this year, ECB wanted Malan resting from first two games, Morgan broke a finger, and Gubbins hamstring (I think that's why the last two were unavailable, but I might have 'mis-remembered what their injuries were) At that point (three of our first choice six missing) it became clear it was a case of 'We're not going to pick Compton, no matter what'.

Maybe a bust up, but no one knows- and the benefit has effectively kept Compton silent on the matter.

Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
10 September, 2018 21:10
Thankyou Chunky for the explanation. It is sad that it doesn't appear to be a situation that will be resolved quickly.

Good luck to Nick with his Testimonial.

adelaide (IP Logged)
10 September, 2018 22:03
We gave the younger players a chance by recruiting Hilton Cartwright.

Adelaide

10 September, 2018 22:22
Getting a bit confusing this.................................
All proceeds from Nick Compton's testimonial year go to his nominated charities and his wages for not playing for the year go in his back pocket.
Have I got this right?

Darren Gosling (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 18:04
I queried with Richard Goatley why we tore up Berg's contract when we didn't see him featuring and yet are still paying Compton (but with no intention of playing him). The response was that for legal reasons he could not talk about the Compton situation until the season had concluded.
But he was also quick to add that he still got on with Nick and speaks to him whenever he sees him around Lords.

I guess we shouldn't have too much longer to find out what on earth has been going on.
A tally of a paltry 9 batting points all season would suggest Compton could have done better than most - certainly couldn't have done any worse!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net