cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Winning catch. More of the same at Taunton, please!

Captain Malan?
dingy bags (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 11:58
The Times report that Malan is set to be appointed our captain when he gets back from Oz. If true this is a bit odd, given that he has done enough to stay in the test team and is close to be a regular in the England T20 squad, too. ie we will not see much of him in 2018.

Re: Captain Malan?
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 13:32
Maybe our 'outside review' were players were allowed to give their views confidentially pointed the finger at Franklin's captaincy.

Bit pointless having a review if we don't act on it.

Other options for captaincy- compo (winding down) NGubbz (needs a good season after last year, so needs to concentrate on his own form)

dnb (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 14:53
The Times also stated that Sam Robson would be Vice Captain so I guess he would stand in when Malan is unavailable.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 19:15
It would make perfect sense for Middlesex to use relegation as an opportunity to build towards the next few years, in which we hope to spend most of our time in division one. When we were last in division two in 2011, our squad included several players who went on to win the County Championship five years later, so it would be brilliant if history can repeat itself.

Unless he can consistently deliver in at least one discipline (i.e. batting or bowling), James Franklin will not be at the club much beyond 2018, so it would be preferable for our Championship side to be captained by someone expected to be at the club for the foreseeable future.

I am not sure how sensible it would be for Dawid Malan to be appointed as captain considering he seems to have a safe place in England’s Test side and is on the fringes of their side in the two other formats, although I am confident in both his captaincy ability and that he will be at the club for the foreseeable future. Due to his restricted availability, I don’t think the club would have any choice but to make it clear who the vice-captain will be. I am confident that Sam Robson has played enough cricket to be capable of captaining the side. Like Malan, Robbo surely has many years remaining with the club.

Of course (if they ignore the financial benefits of this scenario), the last thing the club would want would be Robbo following Malan into England’s Test side. Robbo certainly has ambition to return to the Test side, although the chances of that happening will have taken a hit with our relegation and with Alastair Cook’s return to form.

We will have to see who will captain us in the Royal London Cup and the Twenty20 competition. With Malan and Eoin Morgan’s availability likely to be restricted, the role may have to be performed by either someone else in our squad or by an overseas player for at least some of the matches. Maybe John Simpson will be captain in some matches.

28 December, 2017 19:52
Being in Div 2 never stopped "Chef" from being England captain or indeed in the side.

If the selectors were really up to their game they would be concentrating on what the player can offer England rather than which division he plays his bread and butter cricket in. Dawid I think is cut from he same cloth.

Some England players prefer not to play that often for their County as though it were a flag of convenience, an accusation which could never be laid at the Essex Farmers door.

AC would be a good pick as CC captain even if his availability was going to be limited by England call ups, this winters tour being a major experience for him will have taught him a lot too.

AC for skip !

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net