cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Floodlights in use at last

The IPL auction and 24 English-qualified players.
Hants01 (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 21:18
We now know there will be 24 English-qualified players seeking to earn a contract with an Indian franchise. David Hopps on ESPN posits that slightly over half can be expected to miss out (I am not so sure). But what are the implications for English cricket?

Middlesex have four players entering into the auction: Helm, Malan, Finn and predictably, of course, Morgan (that's the new ball of you guys then, if 'bought')! Yorkshire have five: Root, Rashid, Willey, Bairstow and Plunkett.

All of these players could have been in England from April. They could have been advertising and improving the product of English cricket. They could have been imparting skills and knowledge to up and coming young players on county staffs. But no. It seems that the ECB- thanks to Strauss for the change of heart towards the IPL- is giving its blessing to denuding the English game of its best talent.

I was amused in the week that Kent appointed Billings to lead them and he professed how proud he was to get the captaincy. I expect him to do a grand job in the first two months of the season...from India. Quite why Middlesex bother with Morgan amazes me, but I learn he has another contract. Why?

The ECB states on its w/site those 24 names- as if it were a badge of pride. It isn't.

The best thing to happen to those who believe in county cricket would be if England lose to Pakistan 2-0 in the Test Series that starts on May 24. Players getting out to T20 shots and knackered from Indian exertions. No first-class cricket played and undercooked.

Ideally the counties would come together, put aside partisan interests and quietly collude to agree not to sign players who have decided against playing county cricket and instead opted for India.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/01/2018 21:19 by Hants01.

Re: The IPL auction and 24 English-qualified players.
Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 00:01
27 players who play county cricket as a domestic player put themselves forward for the auction, although it seems that those who administer the IPL declined the applications of Riki Wessels, Wayne Madsen and Monty Panesar. Considering Wessels and Madsen have decent records in county cricket in recent years while Panesar has played for England, it feels like an achievement for Tom Helm to have progressed into the auction, and is a testament to the standing he must have in the cricketing world.

It would be surprise if either of Helm or Steven Finn are picked up by a side, but I suppose they have nothing to lose by putting themselves forward. I expect Eoin Morgan to be picked up, while Dawid Malan must now have a good chance. In 2017, eight English players found sides, so as impressive as that sounds, it means that it is likely that the vast majority of the 24 will miss out.

The loss of many well-known players at the start of the season is bad news for the County Championship and also the Royal London Cup. It can’t be good for England’s Test fortunes that two features of the last couple of years have been their management increasingly encouraging players to seek opportunities in the IPL and other worldwide Twenty20 leagues, and the reduction of Championship matches in the core summer months. However, a lot of people have made a counter-argument, saying that as bad as those developments have been for England’s Test side, the developments have benefited their limited-overs sides. I suppose that these improvements for the limited-overs sides are the least that should be expected.

I know that a lot of supporters of Middlesex and other counties disapprove of Morgan more or less turning his back on first-class cricket. However, my view is that it depends on whether he is being judged on old-fashioned standards or on modern standards, as nowadays it is seen as acceptable for a player to concentrate on limited-overs cricket. Still, I would like to think that the salary we pay him is less than if he played in the Championship too.

Despite being envious of the money cricketers earn, and despite the fact I prefer players to play county cricket than go to the IPL, I suppose I can’t really argue with players seeking to earn as much as they can from their career. If a player suffers bad luck with their health, their career could end earlier than they and their supporters would like. If a player has good luck with their health, they could still have another 50-65 years ahead of them after they retire, hence the expression ‘you’re a long time retired’.

21 January, 2018 07:11
By comparison a lot of the Australian Test players are looking to NOT play IPL/CPL etc this summer to stay with an adopted County for the full season with the idea of gaining vital Ashes pitches/conditions experience for the next time "Little Urn" is played for.(2019)

Seems they have a good idea having beaten us 4-0 in Oz just recently , mind you they are 2-0 down in the ODI series (with T20 triangulars with NZ to come too) so may say their Test side is not their ODI/T20 side anyway.

Your not going to be able to stop players earning fortunes in India at the moment and as the money train seems to keep rolling in Asia with no sign of it derailing (loss of sponsors,tv revenue,tv audience,crowds at games) I might suggest members of other counties get used to the "Morgan syndrome" we came to accept years ago.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
22 January, 2018 11:44
An interesting post Hants01. Some detail to be added.

Central Contracts. Whether red or white ball these require the holder to be signed with a county. Even though effectively they are not on their wage bill.

So, Why do Middlesex bother with Morgan? Because if they did'nt someone else would have to.

I can see the queue of cherrypickers forming a not orderly queue headed by the usual suspects.

Back in 2003 I was on a train to deepwest Mexico, to whit Guildford to watch the game versus Middlesex.

A bloke at the other end of the carriage, on seeing we were from The Middle came down and spoke to us.

He said he was a cricket coach in Dublin and recommended to Middlesex anyone who he thought was worth a look.

He said he was sending us a youth. Name Eoin Morgan. Subsequently Morgan came and worked his way through the MX system.

He I think, had previously sent us Ed Joyce who did'nt work out too badly.

So having been with us for 15 years it seems we might bother to keep Morgan..

On the red ball front the ECB turned their back on him back in 2011.

As the IPL pioneer. That is due I reckon to him being at the time, the standout England one day batter in a mediocre team. Saw him get a ton at your ground for England v Australia myself.

Most of the rest of your post covers the Graves era. He on arriving announced that the West Indies were mediocre as was the T20Blast. And he was gonna change all that.

So we got his Big Bash as well. This means shunting county cricket to the fringes of the season. Not great for the Test side as you say.

On the new ball front. We still have TRJ, Fuller, Murts and Harry Podmore btw.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/01/2018 11:48 by Seaxe_Man.

adelaide (IP Logged)
22 January, 2018 11:53
Do counties still get a cut of the IPL fee for one of their players? I thought that was the case initially but maybe it has changed, or I was wrong in the first place.

If the club still get a cut it could be that Middlesex actually make a profit on Morgan!

Most likely he is putting down a marker for the future and he won't get picked but I would have thought that Tom Helm's interests at this stage were better served by racking up some good consistent figures in the CC. There are players who look much better suited to one than four day cricket but I would not have thought that Tom was one of them.

Adelaide

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
22 January, 2018 12:02
Quote:
Seaxe_Man
An interesting post Hants01. Some detail to be added.
Central Contracts. Whether red or white ball these require the holder to be signed with a county. Even though effectively they are not on their wage bill.

So, Why do Middlesex bother with Morgan? Because if they did'nt someone else would have to.

I can see the queue of cherrypickers forming a not orderly queue headed by the usual suspects.

So having been with us for 15 years it seems we might bother to keep Morgan..

On the new ball front. We still have TRJ, Fuller, Murts and Harry Podmore btw.

and Tom Barber, who Hants didn't think was good enough.

Having watched England U19's (another match tonight) it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Ethan Bamber signs his first pro contract before the first ball of the 2018 season isb bowled.

As to Morgan- it's a bit like owning a Porsche with a puncture.

Not much use if you never get to drive it on the open road.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
22 January, 2018 12:47
chunky. There are tyres now which you can drive on punctured.

Adelaide. The IPL commission countywise was 10% up to a cutoff off USD 50000. Whether that is still the case I don't know.

Also Kevin Pietersen was on Hants books for about five years to comply with the central contract mantra.

He played about two games for them in that period. Add to that. As a prospective franchise stager, Hants voted for Graves Big Bash which we did not.

They stand to collect, we do not.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
22 January, 2018 12:56
chunky. Went to Coggeshall last year with Rogers Over and Out to see a couple of T20's versus Essex.

Was impressed with a left arm over, fairly rapid bowler named Alfie Duke.

Having seen a number of seconds T20 games, gotta say, more consistent than first's at T20.

22 January, 2018 13:02
Yes, S_M, I remember you mentioning him at the time.

Normally getting picked for England U19 pretty much guarantees you a pro contract (if you haven't already got one), but it is difficult to see how we can take on all four (Perera, Davies, Hollman and Bamber)in one hit.

A lot of talent out there, but difficult to see how we can accommodate them all.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
22 January, 2018 18:16
Players joining the circus will miss first 6 games of County Season and 2 weeks of One Day Cup.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/01/2018 18:17 by BeefyRoberts.

22 January, 2018 19:06
I am fairly sure that counties still receive compensation for any players who go to the IPL, as an entry for it usually appears in Middlesex’s annual accounts.

In an effort to avoid burnout, Joe Root could have opted against seeking an IPL contract, but instead he will sit out England’s forthcoming Twenty20 matches in Australia and New Zealand. To be fair to him, at least he is being honest about why he believes it will benefit him and England. However, I doubt this will make happy reading for supporters of England or Yorkshire, as England supporters will say that international cricket should be seen as more important than a foreign domestic competition, while Yorkshire supporters would feel unhappy if Root plays Twenty20 cricket for a foreign side considering he is rarely available for Yorkshire.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
23 January, 2018 11:03
Auction Sat/Sun. Reserve prices for MX players.

Morgan £226000

Finn £170000

Malan £56500

Helm £45000

On known commission this would give MX a minimum of 50grand if all are sold.

Leaving us with a team looking as follows.

Robbo. Holden. Gubbo.Eski. Stirlo. Simmo. Harris. Fuller. Ollie. Podders. Murts. Not so bad in the circumstances.

Plus TRJ if fit and available.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 23/01/2018 12:16 by Seaxe_Man.

23 January, 2018 15:50
Ipl runs until 27th May.

Stirlo definitely, and Murtagh (possibly) will be needed for Ireland's debut test Pakistan, starting on May 11th.

England ODI's v Pakistan start 24th May.

Personally, I doubt Helm or Finn will get an IPL deal, Malan might, and Morgan will.

27 January, 2018 09:32
So far it seems Ben Stokes, Chris Woakes, Jos Buttler, Moeen Ali and Jason Roy have got deals.

No news on any our players yet, as this process takes two days.

28 January, 2018 11:11
It is difficult to know exactly what has happened on day two of the IPL auction, as most of the articles I can find say that Tom Helm, Eoin Morgan and Joe Root went unsold, with there being no mention about the fates of Dawid Malan or Steven Finn.

Hopefully more will become clear in the coming hours.

28 January, 2018 11:16
Eoin Morgan has failed to secure an IPL contract.

[www.skysports.com]

We will now find out whether or not his new Middlesex deal is white ball only, as he faces the prospect of a wet and miserable April in the UK.

I'm not sure if it's all over yet- but it looks like no Middlesex player got an IPL deal (not so far, anyway).

Edit- beaten to it by JW, who posted whilst I was still typing!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/01/2018 11:17 by chunkyinargyll.

Hants01 (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 12:18
By my reckoning- happy to be corrected- eight of the 24 English auction entrants were bought. Those being: Stokes and Wood (Durham), Buttler (Lancs), Billings (Kent), Ali (Worcs), Roy (Surrey), Woakes (Warwicks) and Jordan (Sussex). I think this is the same number as in 2017.

These are players who should be in the English game in my view. What misery for Durham whose chances this season- already hit by asset-stripping- would have so boosted by Wood and Stokes playing for them early season. Billings, so honoured by his Kent captaincy appointment will spend the first two months of the season in India. What a shocking appointment. With Coles to Essex and Northeast speaking to other counties, they are much weakened from last season and must be a decent bet for the wooden spoon. The 'winners' from this auction appear to be Glamorgan (Marsh not picked), Middlesex and Yorkshire. Quite a blow to Morgan- what will he do now?

28 January, 2018 19:19
Quote:
Jonathan Winsky
It would be a surprise if either of Helm or Steven Finn are picked up by a side, but I suppose they have nothing to lose by putting themselves forward. I expect Eoin Morgan to be picked up, while Dawid Malan must now have a good chance

Although the four Middlesex players to enter the auction will be disappointing not to be picked up by an IPL side, it is good news for the chances of the team getting the 2018 season off to a great start.

For our County Championship campaign, it would be great if Dawid Malan is allowed to play in our first five matches of the season considering he is tipped to be appointed as our captain, and he was seen as England’s best player in the recent Ashes after scoring more runs (383) than any of his teammates. The availability of Steven Finn and Tom Helm will also be great news, as not only are they excellent bowlers, but their availability gives us an opportunity to rotate our fast bowlers. As for Eoin Morgan, I don’t envisage him playing in the Championship, as I am not sure if he or the club see him ever playing another first-class match, although he could come into our plans if we have a few injuries.

For the Royal London Cup group stages, the availability of Morgan comes as an unexpected boost, while Malan’s availability comes as a relief. Morgan’s recent batting form hasn’t been particularly special, but Middlesex need all the help they can get in limited-overs cricket, so I am not going to turn my nose up at the chance of him playing all eight group matches! Despite only scoring 99 runs in England’s 4-1 ODI series win in Australia, Morgan was seen as making an excellent contribution to the series with the decisions he made as captain, so I don’t know if the club will consider him making him captain for the RLC. With regards to Finn and Helm, their availability for the RLC boosts us in the same way as in the Championship thanks to the fact we won’t have to select the same fast bowlers in every match.

Quote:
Jonathan Winsky
In an effort to avoid burnout, Joe Root could have opted against seeking an IPL contract, but instead he will sit out England’s forthcoming Twenty20 matches in Australia and New Zealand. To be fair to him, at least he is being honest about why he believes it will benefit him and England. However, I doubt this will make happy reading for supporters of England or Yorkshire, as England supporters will say that international cricket should be seen as more important than a foreign domestic competition, while Yorkshire supporters would feel unhappy if Root plays Twenty20 cricket for a foreign side considering he is rarely available for Yorkshire

We will have to see whether Joe Root will play for Yorkshire at the start of the season, or whether he will use his IPL absence as a chance to rest.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 13:26
Another fledgling T20 in it's third year gets underway on Tues Feb 6th. The Hong Kong Blitz. Final on Sunday Feb 11th.

Comprises 5 teams. 27 overseas players spread across the five teams.

One is known to MX followers. James'The Tank'Franklin has secured a berth with the 'Galaxy Gladiators Lantau'.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net