cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Floodlights in use at last

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Some very sad news
BarmierKev (IP Logged)
24 January, 2018 11:42
I am finding this difficult to do, but I regret to announce that Derek known as Diamond Ruled OK passed away unexpectedly last night.

A number of us who knew him well are in shock.

RIP

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2018 14:58 by BarmierKev.

Re: Some very sad news
Richardgoatley (IP Logged)
24 January, 2018 11:51
Terribly sad news to hear of Diamond’s passing. A true Middlesex supporter who will be very sadly missed by us all. RIP my friend.

Richard

Ivor's Tache (IP Logged)
24 January, 2018 11:58
Have just heard this. Truly shocked.
RIP Derek

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
24 January, 2018 12:00
Sitting here absolutely devastated on the news on Mr D.
A decent guy who everyone liked,spent many days sharing ale and watching cricket with him.
Had great chats about all things,sometimes total rubbish but good chats!

Diamond,it won't be the same watching our lovely game without you

RIP mate 😒🏏😒🏏😒🏏😒

Big Harvey (IP Logged)
24 January, 2018 12:10
Absolutely stunned and devastated. Although I was a relative latecomer to watching Middlesex, I remember Derek from years ago when he was a regular watching Southall FC at Western Road and beyond. :-(

lower pavilion (IP Logged)
24 January, 2018 13:00
I heard this terrible news only a short while ago.
Derek was a very good man, and over the years,we had some great chats about many different things.

RIP Derek.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
24 January, 2018 13:58
What?

I've been out all morning and only just got in.

That really has shocked me beyond belief.

Thoughts to all his family.

Hackney Shire (IP Logged)
24 January, 2018 14:24
One of the things I love about County Cricket is the people you meet, not just from your own county, but from those all over the country, and become friends with. You may only see them once or twice a season, but they are people who you will happily sit with for days on end, exchanging tales and often talking nonsense. One of those people I was lucky enough to meet in this way was Derek, who I shared many an hour, one or two beers (and copious amounts of my homemade Elderflower champagne) with at Lord's, Southgate, Uxbridge and Cheltenham - and I can't quite believe he has gone.

He was always excellent company and a lovely man; the legendary 'Vermin Corner' (and many other places besides) will be a far poorer place without him. RIP Diamond.

Muntjac (IP Logged)
24 January, 2018 14:36
Diamond's views on this site always worth a read and in my view correct. A real Middlesex man. Very sad to hear this news. RIP.

Rogers and Out (IP Logged)
24 January, 2018 15:01
Very sad news. RIP Derek.

Beeamazed (IP Logged)
24 January, 2018 15:31
That is really awful news.
R.I.P Diamond

rod/ed (IP Logged)
24 January, 2018 16:31
Shocked. I know he had booked to come up north to Durham for the last game of the season. Was looking forward to that already. I'll raise a toast next time a glass is at my lips.

R.I.P Diamond

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
24 January, 2018 16:58
Vic tried to access the site earlier,but couldn't log on.
I'm putting the Facebook message below exactly how Vic put it....

Absolutely shocked to the core when your text message reached me Keith.
Derek was a true mate.
He had already booked for Durham away in September and we will have a Diamond Day.
Despite trying to log onto MTWD I cannot access the site,so please pass on my condolences

That is Vics message.

Shrek Wasp (IP Logged)
24 January, 2018 18:23
Just read the news on Facebook. Having been a somewhat lapsed Middlesex fan I haven't been to a match for 5 years and didn't know Derek that well, but he was exactly the supporter I had in mind when selecting MTWD as the name for this site. I'm devastated to hear the news.

Thoughts are with his family and many friends from this site & the club.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
24 January, 2018 18:53
This is very sad news. Diamond was a big part of both MTWD and Middlesex CCC.

My condolences go to his family and friends.

dingy bags (IP Logged)
24 January, 2018 18:57
Been stunned since Beefy texted me late morning. Thanks for breaking such awful news and for your tribute on the other thread. Diamond and I sometime drove each other to away games. He drove me to Edgbaston, I drove him to Trent Bridge. He drove me to Hove last time we played there (game Tom Helm got injured) and I had made a mental note to offer to drive him there this time. I won't be doing that...

When you got to know him, Del was an intelligent and thoughtful guy and I noticed quite a few little acts towards others of great kindness. For instance, once at a second team game at Radlett we wandered over and got chatting to some people by the pavilion. After a few minutes, he pointed out we had abandoned Seaxe Man over the other side of the ground. "Come on, time to get back" he said. That's the kind of thing I mean.

There will definitely be something missing in my cricket in 2018 - and beyond.

WayOutWest (IP Logged)
24 January, 2018 23:28
Shocked is an over used term but I had to read the first post three times to let it sink in.

I met Diamond briefly a couple of times at matches and had a few online jousts with him in my early times on this site. I quickly learned that I was no match for his very sharp wit! My sincere condolences to his family and those on this site that I know counted him as a dear friend.

Fozzie (IP Logged)
25 January, 2018 04:23
Many thanks to Beefy for making sure I heard this shocking news on the other side of the globe. Can't believe we won't read any more of his sharp, witty and forthright posts, and MTWD will be the poorer. Thoughts are with his family. RIP Diamond.

kenpr (IP Logged)
25 January, 2018 10:33
I am in total shock I got a text from beefy last night this was a diamond geezer who loved Middlesex and spurs.

He was the kindest person I knew and I will miss those words beer o'clock and for his friendship.

He often spoke about his wife and daughter and they meant the world to him.

I will never forget him Middlesex ccc should remember him for all the things he done for charity.

R.I P to a true Middlesex fan

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
25 January, 2018 12:43
Shocking news. Diamond RIP. A solid Mx citizen who shared my views on the traditional County of Middlesex..ie he thought it was worth preserving for posterity.

Glad I was able to go with him to watch Spurs in a Champions League match at Wembley.

A helpful man who assisted me on a few occasions.

You will be missed Diamond around the cricket grounds of Middlesex and farther afield and as somebody mentioned ... Vermin Corner.

SM.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net