cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP JT Murray Middlesex legend

Mrs Fozzie told to "Shoe" in Sandal Scandal
Middlesex till we die (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 20:01
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2018 14:59 by BarmierKev.

Re: Mrs Fozzie told to "Shoe" in Sandal Scandal
Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 21:03
As they wear similar colours to Middlesex, I consider myself a supporter of Sydney Sixers, although I rarely get time to watch any Big Bash matches due to them usually starting after I have left for work. After winning the inaugural tournament in 2011/12 and being runners-up in 2014/15 and 2016/17, it was disappointing that they lost their first six matches this time around, although the fact they won their final four matches meant they finished a respectable fifth.

Thankfully, the Sixers the Women’s Big Bash for the second season running to complement their second-place finish in the inaugural competition two seasons ago. Further good news for teams wearing pink was Hung Hom Jaguars winning Sunday’s final of the Hong Kong’s Twenty20 tournament, which BT Sport showed.

I think that the way Big Bash sides acquire players is similar to traditional sport, as players are contracted to sides, although sides can trade players between seasons. This compares to the IPL, which has an auction. Although I haven’t counted, I imagine there are plenty of players who play for a Big Bash side based in one part of Australia and play in the Sheffield Shield and JLT One-Day Cup for a state side based in another part of Australia. It is anticipated that there will be a similar situation when the new Twenty20 competition is introduced in England, as there is every chance that a Middlesex player could play for the city-based side which plays at Headingley, and that the city-based side which plays at Lord’s could have little or no Middlesex players.

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 10:09
While this is an interesting and in parts amusing article, it is worry this reflects the direction our domestic game is going.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 12:09
Thanks for this report on big bash,was it arranged that many followers of both franchises came along in fancy dress as an empty seat?
Wrong sandals? Sounds like a Wallace and grommet movie.
The Aussies are very territorial with clubs/franchises of any sport,I wonder if falling attendances is due to this fact?

Has been a joy reading your reports from the Isle of Australia on here,thanks 😊😊

Ivor's Tache (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 19:16
Very interesting piece Fozzie. Interestingly, an Aussie mate and his son have been over an a European tour so I took the opportunity to chat about Aussie domestic cricket (stops 'em harping on about the Ashes). They rarely attend any domestic cricket but have no interest in Big Bash as franchise cricket. They are South Australian and that is their team.

Fozzie (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 11:47
Quote:
Ivor's Tache
Very interesting piece Fozzie. Interestingly, an Aussie mate and his son have been over an a European tour so I took the opportunity to chat about Aussie domestic cricket (stops 'em harping on about the Ashes). They rarely attend any domestic cricket but have no interest in Big Bash as franchise cricket. They are South Australian and that is their team.

That's interesting, particularly as Adelaide Strikers won this year's Big Bash and looked pretty good from what I saw on TV. It's a shame that your friends don't actually go to watch doemstic cricket - my understanding is that Sheffield Shield attendances are pitiful, even lower than the County Championship.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net