cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Floodlights in use at last

County Cricket becoming irrelevant?
dingy bags (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 10:40
[www.bbc.co.uk]

Spot the error. Does county cricket mean anything at all now?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/02/2018 10:41 by dingy bags.

Re: County Cricket becoming irrelevant?
Fozzie (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 11:50
Perhaps Yorkshire are making an early move to replace Rashid....

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 13:37
Ok, I can't spot the error, DB.

16 February, 2018 14:03
but Liam Plunkett is a Yorkshire player.

[www.espncricinfo.com]

Fozzie (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 16:51
Indeed. Senior moment on my part...

16 February, 2018 17:08
Don't worry, Fozzie!

There was a time (about 30-40 years ago!!!) when I'm sure most of us could have recited parrot fashion every single member of the playing staff of all the 17 counties, because things seldom changed. Players going through a career playing for just one county are becoming a bit of a rarity now.

dingy bags (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 17:43
Buy you would expect the BBC to keep up! He's hardly the sort of guy who moves from Derby to Northants.

16 February, 2018 17:55
DB-

I'm really confused now.

The article you linked to appears to be correct.

Or is it that when you first provided the link at 10.40 it was wrong? I suppose they may have realised their error and corrected it by the time I first looked at the link.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 18:19
I reckon the beeb keep an eye on here and changed the article.
With Rashid doing his white ball trick,been chatting with couple of Yorkshire members who are known to a few on here,and,they are unimpressed to say the least.
One said in Rashid comment in December on his benefit year announcement he was looking forward to playing some county games.
Wonder who or what has made him go white ball only?

Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 20:57
Rashid now knows, Beefy, that the ECB are fixated with Moeen as the premier Test spinner, whom they also see as a No. 6 batter - LMFAO!!!!!

Also, he gets damp puddings in April / May, and dead pitches in September on which to bowl in the CC, so why should he try to ply his trade when the odds are stacked against him?

He's got a limited time in which to make as much money as he can out of being a professional cricketer, so hes' read the runes, and seen where he stands the best chance of doing this.

It's not his fault. It is not the fault of Yorkshire.

It is a result of the Exterminate Cricket Bureau deciding to devalue County Cricket and kill it off.

So, kids will never go up to Lord's and see a day's play during their Summer holidays, for a manageable amount of money, so they won't want play a game they have never seen live, and err, .................that's it.

Trebles all round, and award everyone at the ECB a bonus from the Pay To View revenue!

Fozzie (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 12:56
I have to agree with Primrose. Rashid has just turned 30. Last winter he was England's leading wicket taker in the Test series in Bangladesh and India with 30 wickets, yet when it came to the tour of Australia the selectors chose the tyro Mason Crane on the basis of a good season in Sydney grade cricket. England have a track record of selecting young inexperienced leg spinners but not persevering with them when they do not immediately turn out to be the new Warne.

Crane was praised for his Test debut and advised he just needs to gain experience - but with Hampshire only playing 1 or 2 CC matches in July and August, what chance will he have?

By contrast, Rashid is a valued ODI and T20 player for England, for which I guess a lot of credit goes to Eoin Morgan who clearly has a lot of faith in him. In the circumstances it's not surprising that he's decided that that's where his future lies.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
20 February, 2018 12:09
And now Alex Hales signs a White ball only contract at Notts.
Don't like the way it's going,could counties start to fold in the near future with players doing this? Or,join up to make one county from two?
Not looking good.

20 February, 2018 12:24
Obviously playing in the championship is too much like hard work for some people.

And a sure sign this T20 nonsense pays so much they can afford to turn their back on real cricket.

I wouldn't go awarding any benefits to part timers though. They are clearly earning more than enough to expect ordinary people to put their hands in their pockets.

stockmos (IP Logged)
20 February, 2018 12:27
Quote:
BeefyRoberts
And now Alex Hales signs a White ball only contract at Notts.
Don't like the way it's going,could counties start to fold in the near future with players doing this? Or,join up to make one county from two?
Not looking good.

How did you reach that conclusion?

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
20 February, 2018 12:41
I can answer that this is the start of slippery slope for County Cricket.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
20 February, 2018 13:21
I'm wondering if players are being asked to do white ball only contract in readiness for franchise cc,giving counties enough time to rebuild the red ball squad,as confusion will reign on white ball/franchise/red ball appearances.

Fozzie (IP Logged)
21 February, 2018 10:19
Quote:
BeefyRoberts
I'm wondering if players are being asked to do white ball only contract in readiness for franchise cc,giving counties enough time to rebuild the red ball squad,as confusion will reign on white ball/franchise/red ball appearances.

You may well be right there, Beefy. The Hales contract appeared to be sorted very amicably, with both player and county being very complimentary about the other. Not sure that the Rashid case falls into this category, though.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
21 February, 2018 19:09
Ever since limited-overs cricket was first introduced in 1963, there have always been players who are a regular in their team’s limited-overs side but who rarely play in their team’s first-class side, and to a lesser extent, there have always been players who regularly play first-class cricket but rarely limited-overs. Middlesex have a few players who regularly play in the County Championship but have little expectation of playing in the two other formats, and a few players regularly seen in or around our limited-overs sides are a long way from our Championship side.

This trend within cricket seems to have gathered pace in recent years due to limited-overs cricket seemingly drifting apart from first-class.

Still, it is momentous that Adil Rashid and Alex Hales have (for the time being at least) retired from first-class cricket and that it is expected a few other Englishmen will follow suit, as it shows where they think their future is best-served.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
22 February, 2018 19:00
Writing on skysports.com, James Franklin has given his views on Adil Rashid and Alex Hales' decisions to concentrate on limited-overs cricket, on Eoin Morgan’s willingness to play some County Championship cricket, and on Australia winning a Twenty20 triangular series by way of mainly selecting players from the Big Bash as opposed to selecting from their Test side.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net