cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Floodlights in use at last

Middlesex 1st XI 2018
EH Hendren (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 00:12
It is expected that we will see three different elevens across the formats during the 2018 season. Here are three possible options:

Specsavers County Championship

Gubbins, Robson, Eskinazi, Malan*, Holden, Stirling, Simpson+, Harris, Rayner, Finn, Murtagh

Royal London One-Day Cup

Gubbins, Stirling, Eskinazi, Morgan, Holden, Simpson+, Franklin, Fuller, Sowter, Finn*, Patel

Vitality t20 Blast

Malan*, Stirling, Gubbins, Bravo, Morgan, Simpson+, Franklin, Agar, Fuller, Sowter, Patel

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2018 09:13 by EH Hendren.

Re: Middlesex 1st XI 2018
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 07:51
An amazingly long tail in the RL team, and T20 only slightly better.

We need to wait to see who our overseas signing(s) will be.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 10:23
It is still unclear what Middlesex will do with regards to signing overseas players.

For the County Championship, we prefer to have one player who plays all (or most) of the season, although it is nowadays very difficult to find someone who is both quality and unlikely to miss matches due to international/IPL/CPL commitments. As we have Max Holden coming through, have Nick Compton available and have Eoin Morgan available for a few Championship matches, it wouldn’t surprise me if we take the view that signing an overseas player would block the path of someone who is already at the club and who deserves to play. Therefore, unless anyone becomes available on a short-term deal, I can see us playing at least a few matches without an overseas player. Of course, it would be brilliant if we play every match with a quality overseas player who can fire us to promotion, although it would be a shame if that comes at the expense of giving players like Holden a run in the side.

For our Twenty20 campaign, it seems destined we will once again sign Tim Southee, as he hasn’t signed for any other county yet, while I don’t think New Zealand have any matches during our summer. Now I have written that, no doubt someone else will sign him! Surely we will also be keen to sign a big-name batsman to put bums on seats, although it is important that anyone we sign is better than anyone already at the club.

For our Royal London Cup campaign, hopefully we will enter each match using a Twenty20 strategy and not a County Championship strategy, as playing it as a Championship match is unlikely to work in this present era. We could so with having an overseas player for this competition, as we need all the help we can get in this format!

It is amazing how much quality we have amongst our fast bowlers, as Steven Finn, Toby Roland-Jones and Tom Helm are on England’s radar, Tim Murtagh will hopefully continue doing what he always does, James Harris will have a point to prove, Tom Barber is highly thought-of by those who work with England’s best fast bowlers, James Fuller has a great reputation in limited-overs cricket, showed in 2016 that he can contribute with ball and bat in the Championship, and will be keen to make up for being injured for much of the 2017 season, plus we have Harry Podmore. It means that we can afford to rotate and will not feel obliged to ask bowlers to enter matches jaded. However, having quality and quantity ticks only two out of five boxes, as we will have to see whether the bowlers will be in form, fit and available. Still, it means that if we sign any overseas players for the Championship, then it would be highly unlikely that he will be a fast bowler. Nonetheless, as I have said, I still imagine we will sign an overseas fast bowler for Twenty20.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 13:55
Overseas player 2018. With the retirement of Adam Voges from first class cricket.

The rumour from Uxbridge last Thursday, was that his replacement will be a top class batsman. There are two candidates.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 14:08
So looking at Patsy's selection, likely to slot in at 3,4,5.

I would swop Holden to opener from five.

If, as he stated in Auckland, Moggy plays red ball cricket, early season, then the early early/middle order looks congested. Candidates o/s, Eski, Gubbo, Malan (who wont be around too much) and following up Stirlo who pumped 146 for Ireland recently.

RLC. TRJ will be a candidate when available.Tom Helm currently injured hopefully ok by season's start. Finn will play RLC and T20 I would guess.

Also two overseas players are allowed in that format.

On paper and hopefully on grass, we have strength in depth.

20 March, 2018 08:37
We now know there will be no overseas at the start of the season, and Morgan is available for championship selection.

On that basis I will now make my official 'what do I think the championship side for the first match will be' entry-

Robson, Gubbins, Eskinazi, Malan, Morgan, Simpson, Franklin, Rayner, Roland- Jones, Murtagh, Finn. 12th man Holden.

Not at all straightforward this year, as Holden might be preferred over Eskinazi, Stirling (or Holden) might be picked ahead of Franklin, in which case Rayner might be omitted in favour of Harris or Helm (not sure if the latter is fit) so quite a lot of room for different opinions.

adelaide (IP Logged)
24 March, 2018 21:14
Might need to rethink on Nick Gubbins - helped off with a hamstring injury before he had a chance to bat. Two innings, two centuries...

Adelaide

24 March, 2018 23:03
I would have thought that the potential replacements for Nick Gubbins’ role as opener are Max Holden, Stevie Eskinazi, Nick Compton and Paul Stirling. My prediction is for Holden to get the role. Although Eski struggled in the latter part of the 2017 season, he was going really well beforehand, so I hope he starts the 2018 season, although it wouldn’t surprise me if Middlesex insist he always bats at number 3. It is unclear how likely Compo is to feature this season, as he didn't go on the pre-season tour of South Africa and has been told that he is unlikely to play much this season, yet he officially remains a Middlesex player.

A lot of people were hopeful that Max Holden would get a few 1st XI matches under his belt in the coming months, and the chances of that happening are increased due to Gubbo’s injury, the situation with Compo, the decision to start the season without an overseas player, and the fact that we are bound to lose players to England, England Lions or Ireland at various points in the season. About the only bad news for Holden is that I believe that Eoin Morgan is in our County Championship plans for any matches for which he is available.

Middlesex 1st XI 2018
Patsy_Hendren (IP Logged)
25 March, 2018 05:02
Specsavers County Championship

Gubbins, Robson, Eskinazi, Malan*, Morgan, Holden, Simpson+, Harris, Rayner, Murtagh, Finn

Royal London Cup

Gubbins, Stirling, Eskinazi, Morgan, Scott, Simpson+, Franklin, Fuller, Sowter, Helm, Finn*

Vitality t20 Blast

Malan*, Bravo, Stirling, Gubbins, Morgan, Simpson+, Franklin, Agar, Fuller, Sowter, Helm, Finn

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2018 18:19 by Patsy_Hendren.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
25 March, 2018 13:56
Patsy. Not a bad effort. Gubbo unlikely to be fit for the start with his recurring hamstring problems.

Eski went off the boil last season, when in form, when he was stubbornly excluded from RLC selection as somebody thought he was not a one day player. He can't hit the ball was one quote.

Whilst at the same time, persistently playing another, who stylewise, is definitely not a one day player.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/03/2018 13:58 by Seaxe_Man.

tbl (IP Logged)
25 March, 2018 21:04
If Gubbins is injured and Compton is not being considered, then my guess of the team for the first CC match is

Robson, Stirling, Holden, Malan*, Morgan, Simpson+, Franklin, Rayner, Roland-Jones, Murtagh, Finn.

Is there any point in retaining Compton if he is not being selected? I would have thought that there will be interest from other counties in signing him on loan or permanently.

25 March, 2018 23:45
Quote:
tbl

Is there any point in retaining Compton if he is not being selected? I would have thought that there will be interest from other counties in signing him on loan or permanently.

Apart from it being Compton's testimonial year, his experience may be required if we receive a fair number of international calls, injuries or dare I suggest batsmen who lose form. This strategy is not personal (in my view) but it is an early opportunity to take a look at the likes of Holden and others. I expect that he and Eskinazi would be displacing Compton at this stage. Morgan is evidently a replacement for Voges. It also appears that Franklin is in a similar position to Compton. At least we can retain the option which is crucial within a squad system.

29 March, 2018 08:18
Much as expected, Gubbo is out for all of April.

[www.middlesexccc.com]

29 March, 2018 17:48
It is a shame that Nick Gubbins is likely to miss about three County Championship matches, especially after missing Middlesex’s final five Championship and four Twenty20 matches of 2017. It always feel like England are actively recruiting for opening batsmen, so Gubbo will be disappointing that other players around the country (including Sam Robson) will be able to steal a march on him when it comes to scoring early-season runs.

At least it will increase the likelihood of Max Holden and Stevie Eskinazi starting the season. Hopefully we will start the season in good form to avoid feeling the need to rush Gubbo back before he is truly ready.

As Gubbo has recently played for England Lions and South, at least he won’t enter the season without having faced a ball in some time.

30 March, 2018 18:31
There's no point in starting a pre season friendly thread this year, as one by one they are being rained off.

Middle tweeted 2 day friendly v Hants at Egit bowl is cancelled.

26 April, 2018 03:04
It is to be hoped that it will be possible to field a first choice XI as soon as possible under the new captain Malan.

Several cricketers are close to returning to action.

EH Hendren (IP Logged)
26 April, 2018 12:31
Sadly Toby Roland-Jones has been ruled out of action for the remainder of the current season.

A squad announcement is expected to be made today for tomorrow's championship home fixture versus Glamorgan.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net