cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP JT Murray Middlesex legend

2018 Middlesex odds
BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 13:33
Just looking around for the odds for Middlesex this coming season.
For div 2 of the county championship we are
11-8 favourites with Sussex and Warwickshire 5-1 Kent 13-2 and Northants 8-1.Durham 12-1,Derbyshire 16-1,Glamorgan and Gloucs 20-1 and Leicestershire 33-1.
We are 9-1 to win the 50 over one day cup and 12-1 for the t20.
If Div 1 interests anyone...Essex 3-1 Mexicans 4-1 Lancs 9-2.Yourkshure 5-1 with Notts and Hants 7-1.Somerset at 16-1 and Worcs 20-1.

Bookies usually know what they are doing to intice you!

Re: 2018 Middlesex odds
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 13:52
Well, if those odds are right that would suggest Somerset and Worcestershire relegated.

We ought to win Division 2, but all sorts of uncontrollables like the weather may have a say.

adelaide (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 23:45
Chunky

If you play on result pitches at home you probably have a fair chance of both winning the CC and of being relegated, and indeed of going from relegation contenders to title possibles in a matter of weeks (I give you Somerset in 2016), so I don't think the odds can be interpreted in quite the way you have done.

Adelaide

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 07:32
Adelaide-

I take your point that second least likely to win the championship isn't the same thing as most likely to end up in 7th , but I still see Somerset nearer the bottom than the top of the table.

It was more a case of 'you can make stats mean whatever you want them to mean'.

adelaide (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 11:22
Chunky

The interesting thing about Somerset this year is that they are supposed to have said that they will not be going for Ciderabad pitches this year. For some reason their batsmen are not too keen on something which depresses their averages and perhaps reduces their confidence when they get onto better pitches. They feel that it reduces their chances of representative call-ups! It has also made it difficult to attract overseas players.

An unspoken reason might be the fear of a points deduction if they sail just that little bit too close to the wind again within twelve months of the last match of last season.

Whether they will truly move away from such pitches remains to be seen, and the last thing anyone would want is a return to the M5 pitches. But if they do it will be interesting to see how they go. If they are all fit their seam attack is at the very least perfectly respectable.

Hampshire could surprise a few this year, I think.

In Div 2, Warwickshire seem to be building for a future that might or might not come to fruition next season. Sussex ought to be strong as well, Kent probably not given their player losses. The mindset needs to be much more positive in Div 2, to make sure that matches against the usual stragglers are't allowed to drift into draws. But what do we know? Who tipped Essex for Div 1 last year?

Adelaide

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net