cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Floodlights in use at last

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Overseas player(s)
BREARS (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 22:31
Any chance of 1 or more before the season start???

Re: Overseas player(s)
Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 23:32
Although signing an overseas player for the County Championship would deny an opportunity to someone who deserves to be in the side, I think that Middlesex are keen to have one for at least part of the season, as the club wrote on Facebook last month that an announcment will be made at some point, and added a couple of weeks ago that Angus Fraser has matters in hand. New Zealand don’t seem to have any matches scheduled during our summer, so if we are looking to sign someone for the whole season, perhaps the signing could come from there. However, the amount of matches scheduled by the other nations means that that if we look outside New Zealand, then that may restrict us to players who can only play part of our season or players not currently playing internationally, and thus having to use two or three such players across the season. If we sign anyone, surely it would once again be a batsman. I know that some players from India and Australia are keen to play some county cricket over the next couple of summers, although I don’t know if our relegation will reduce the likelihood of us attracting a big name.

For our Twenty20 campaign, Tim Southee could well return, as no other county have signed him. Our other overseas player will probably be a batsman, although I imagine that plenty of our supporters will hope that Brendon McCullum will not return.

It would be great if we had an overseas player for our Royal London Cup campaign who is suited to limited-overs matches.

tbl (IP Logged)
18 March, 2018 21:03
Angus Fraser said today (he was a commentator on the North v South match) that there will be no overseas player for the first part of the season, as the lack of Middlesex players in the IPL means there is no budget. I don't know exactly what this means, but presumably if Morgan/Malan/Finn were to play in the IPL the club would get compensation which could have been used to pay for an overseas player.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
19 March, 2018 12:22
I would say tbl, that you are spot on in your assumption. Had the players you mention drawn a bid, then we MX, would collect 10% commission, subject to a 50 grand USD cap per player.

This would have provided us with a decent few grand sterling, to use for the purpose of employing an overseas player early season.

The players who failed to draw a bid now can double up as our overseas players for the early matches.

adelaide (IP Logged)
19 March, 2018 14:28
That confirms what Gus says in his contribution to the 2018 Magazine just received this morning, though budget is not mentioned (Morgan's availability is).

Gus is clearly on a charm offensive as he says this before explaining the timings and rationale of the captaincy appointment:

"...I have learnt to accept that many supporters do not want to know the reasoning, they just like to whinge". I find that dismissive, objectionable even.

One page is devoted to a interview with Gus about his marvellous Lexus hybrid. No doubt this is associated with sponsorship but it t not described anywhere that I can see as an advert. I don't know why, but it's OK, it gives me something to whinge about!

Adelaide

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
19 March, 2018 14:36
Quote:
adelaide

Gus is clearly on a charm offensive as he says this before explaining the timings and rationale of the captaincy appointment:

"...I have learnt to accept that many supporters do not want to know the reasoning, they just like to whinge". I find that dismissive, objectionable even.

Probably a reference to the club's Facebook page.

Some utter idiots on there (not all, obviously)

19 March, 2018 15:04
By the way, my membership stuff arrive today as well.

I've just read the page about Gus and his Lexus-

'The NX is a beautiful car to drive- the best car I have ever driven, Driving is so easy. The car just effortlessly rolls along, and it is comfortable. It reacts to what you want it to do....'

Luckily my car reacts to what I want it to do as well. Tends to go left when I want to go left. Tends to go right when I want to go right. Tends to go faster when I put my foot on the accelerator, and slows down when I put my foot on the brake pedal.

Only difference is I had to buy my car!

I see prices for the Lexus 'start at under 35k'

Out of my price range.

Beeamazed (IP Logged)
19 March, 2018 16:29
Little teasers,announcement tmrw at 10 am 😀

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
19 March, 2018 19:58
Considering Middlesex are set to not have an overseas player for the start of their County Championship campaign, and (despite what the recent weather may imply!) it is probably too late in the close-season to sign any domestic players, it seems highly likely that the signing announced tomorrow will be for limited-overs cricket and will be either an overseas or Kolpak player. It would be nice if this player could play in both our Royal London Cup and Twenty20 campaigns, but it will probably only be for the latter considering there is a four-week gap between the end of the RLC group stage and the start of the T20 group stage.

The reason why there is speculation this could a Kolpak signing is because a couple of people in Twitter believe that the signing could be Morne Morkel, who will retire from international cricket after South Africa’s series at home to Australia. As he is currently ranked the 11th-best bowler in Test cricket yet is not in the top 100 in the two other formats, it would seem he would be more useful in the County Championship than in limited-overs matches. However, I think he intends to become a freelance Twenty20 player, which suggests he would not be available for the Championship.

As I have previously said, I expect Tim Southee to return for our Twenty20 campaign (although I could end up being proven wrong), so maybe he could be the subject of tomorrow’s announcement.

Even without any overseas players, our limited-overs squad appears not to be in as bad shape as I previously anticipated it is, as our pre-season tour of South Africa saw us play 50-over matches v Sussex yesterday (batting card and bowling card) and today (bowling card and batting card), and we won both matches. Yesterday also saw Nick Gubbins score 116 off 99 to secure victory v North for a South side also containing John Simpson, Ravi Patel and Tom Barber, which was a great achievement considering I am undecided on whether Gubbo is suited to limited-overs cricket.

On the subject of Barber, it felt a bit of surprise that he came to the club last season considering the fact we seem to already have enough quality fast bowlers. However, I have recently read in The Cricketer about the regard in which he is held by those who work with England’s best fast bowlers, so that alongside his call-up for South suggests that 2018 could see him make a big impact for Middlesex, as long as he can get past our other pacemen! And don’t forget about James Fuller, who will be keen to make up for missing much of the 2017 season due to injury. The fact we have so many fast bowlers will enable us to rotate, which would keep everyone fresh and would create opportunities for several bowlers to get gametime.

Regardless of whether or not it is felt signing overseas players for our Twenty20 campaign would help our performance (personally, I think we need all the help we can get in that format), I imagine we will use our entitlement to sign two such players to put bums on seats.

19 March, 2018 20:04
Maybe the T20 signing will be a past his best kiwi.

Why change a winning formula?

Joke- honestly.

adelaide (IP Logged)
19 March, 2018 22:10
Chunky

It's the word "many" that I find surprising. If he had said "a few supporters" or "some supporters" then fair enough but "many supporters" implies that a majority or at least a large minority of us are just whingers. (Curiously enough, that is something that Gus was accused of after the Taunton debacle.)

I'm not trying to "get" Gus but I just wish he had been a but more careful with his language (and I don't mean in the Strausss-on-KP sense).

Adelaide

20 March, 2018 09:58
And it is-

Ashton Agar

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
20 March, 2018 10:03
Agar. The Horrible signing

Bagpuss (IP Logged)
20 March, 2018 10:22
I'm sure he'll gel with the rest of the team....

Fozzie (IP Logged)
20 March, 2018 10:53
Could be a useful addition, I think.

20 March, 2018 11:01
I'm okay with this.

I'd much sooner have someone nearer the start of his career, who still has things to prove, than someone nearing the end, who is sub-consciously winding down.

Not particularly good news for Ravi Patel though, who might think he is better off elsewhere.

Agar career stats-

[www.espncricinfo.com]

adelaide (IP Logged)
20 March, 2018 12:42
A welcome addition to our stock of players with a four letter surname. Rather disappointingly we conceded ground to Yorkshire on this when Messrs Udal and Nash left.

Two from three - Agar, Patel and Sowter?

I think we have to give Patel more of a go in the CC this year or we'll never know.

Adelaide

Sussex Seaxe (IP Logged)
20 March, 2018 14:16
I agree with you Adelaide, but the usual problem remains that with so much of the top competition being played so early in the season, we will only play one, if any, spinner. Are we prepared to leave out the better batting and catching of Rayner? I would, but unfortunately I've never been asked to be a selector.

Beeamazed (IP Logged)
20 March, 2018 15:46
Whatever the misgivings on who might miss out,this is a top signing,he had
a brilliant big bash
I have no doubt he will produce the goods

rod/ed (IP Logged)
20 March, 2018 16:36
It's just for the T20 so I'm not overly bothered. Indeed the majority of the spectators that turn up for these matches will say "who" if they ever look up from their beverage.

Gus is quoted "“In conversations with Daniel Vettori it became apparent that we required an all-rounder to strengthen our T20 side" Pity Ryan Higgins moved on then.

Rayner,Patel & Sowter cannot be overjoyed, and at least one of them can book their summer holidays for July.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net