cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP JT Murray Middlesex legend

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Compton
BREARS (IP Logged)
03 April, 2018 19:03
Im confused. we have a player on our books who apparantly we wont pick, the point of this is.........???

Re: Compton
Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
03 April, 2018 20:06
I can only think of two reasons why Nick Compton officially remains a Middlesex player. One reason is so that he is available in case we feel we need some experience towards the end of the season in order to get over the promotion line. The other reason is that I suppose that the club could help promote his testimonial year if he remains a player, although I haven't actually seen the club do so yet.

04 April, 2018 00:11
If it comes to relying on Nick Compton for his batting experience towards the end of the season we would have hit rock bottom!!

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
04 April, 2018 12:21
To keep someone on due to a Benefit is waste of resource. I am afraid we need to forget about sentiment in our pursuit for promotion.

And don't get me on subject of testimonials for players who have played for other counties.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
04 April, 2018 12:35
It was odd the club made the statement it did.

A contract is a contract, so we pay him for the season.

It reminds my a bit of Scott Newman. It was as if we had made the decision, 'No new contract when this one runs out' and didn't want to pick him and run the risk of him scoring a hundred.

The attitude that Eskinazi and Holden have their careers ahead of them, so should get first chance is fair enough, but with us missing several players for the first couple of matches it might have been awkward if Compo scored a ton, and kept his place at the expense of Holden, so we are now stuck with not picking him in case he does well!.

dingy bags (IP Logged)
04 April, 2018 12:39
Agree, we seem to have got ourselves into a tricky situation. But Compton is an experienced batsman and we are short of those. He ought to play and if he does well, others will have to fight to get places back.

This is a professional outfit not the village XI trying to keep everyone happy.

Fozzie (IP Logged)
04 April, 2018 13:40
It does seem a bizarre situation. Surely the current position with Malan, Gubbins and Morgan unavailable is exactly why we still have Compton on the books?

BREARS (IP Logged)
04 April, 2018 15:43
Glad Im not the only confused one, and agree with Barmier Kev on players leaving, coming back and then getting a payday

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
05 April, 2018 09:55
Quote:
BarmierKev

And don't get me on subject of testimonials for players who have played for other counties.

It was pointed out yesterday that this would apply to Tim Murtagh who deserved his benefit. What I meant is players who have left county and come back.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 14:10
Tim Murtagh when with the Mexicans was playing wise blocked by Jimmy O if memory serves me..

06 April, 2018 16:17
On what basis is anyone granted a benefit? Compton refused to sign a new contract in his first time with Middlesex, so any entitlement he built up is surely wiped off. He has only been back at Middx for 3 years and only came back because he wanted to be near to London, not due to any burning desire to play for us.

On this occasion I would definitely not dip my hand in my pocket

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 20:03
Nick Compton’s testimonial year appears not to involve Middlesex or the average cricket supporter, as the club have not publicised any events, and all of the events are aimed at corporate people. Therefore, it seems that the main purposes of him having a testimonial year are to mark the 100th anniversary of the birth of his grandfather Denis, and to have an excuse to generate money for charity.

It is almost as if the club didn’t actually award him a testimonial year. However, when it was first announced in December, the club posted an article which began by saying “Middlesex Cricket is delighted to announce that Nick Compton has been awarded a Testimonial Year in 2018”, so that proves otherwise.

06 April, 2018 20:42
The whole scenario of a player being paid but not having to play is something that could only happen at Middlesex.
I certainly will not be putting my hand in my pocket - When the going got tough Nick got going ......................all the way to Taunton!!

BREARS (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 18:46
Dosent appear in team line up at press day. Curious and curiouser

Haringey Racer (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 14:34
Quote:
Bring back the Crusaders
The whole scenario of a player being paid but not having to play is something that could only happen at Middlesex.

I'm sure LP will be along to give the case of the out-of-favour Chelsea player (whose name briefly escapes me) who sat out the whole of a multi-year contract rather than take a transer.

Bottom line is we gave Compton and Franklin long-term deals and have to honour them. Otherwise it will be difficult to recruit in future.

Personally I'd suggest taking the two of them around the country to act as 'concussion substitutes' under the new rules (at least for matches that clash with 2nd XI games).

Beeamazed (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 16:40
Winston Bogarde would be the footballer

hdo (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 19:13
Not to state the obvious here, but even if he's been told he's not in contention for a first team place at present, it seems bizarre that he'd be completely frozen out. Not even in the squad photo?? That's odd, surely. Has something happened behind the scenes?

13 April, 2018 18:00
Compo has tweeted his support

[twitter.com]

so, on the face of it, no ill feeling.

tbl (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 18:00
We could have done with Compton's experience today in difficult conditions. He should either be playing or be allowed to move to another county. His testimonial is irrelevant, it is all corporate events anyway and he can come back for them as needed.

13 April, 2018 18:04
I don't think he is interested in prolonging his playing career beyond this season.

I think he wants to be another Nick Knight/Ian Ward presenter/pundit.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net