cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Floodlights in use at last

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
cc v Northants 13-16 April 2018
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 18:59
Weather forecasts can be wrong, but they all seem quite encouraging at the moment. Maybe even a rain free match, so plenty of time to get a result. A couple of days to go before the squad is named, and there will be live streamed pictures synched to the BBC London commentary.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 17/04/2018 12:49 by BarmierKev.

Re: cc v Northants 13-16 April 2018
Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 21:36
Were it not for Middlesex and Northamptonshire being deducted two and five points respectively for a slow over-rate last season, this would have been a division one fixture. Therefore, this could turn out to be a vital match in the two teams’ aspirations of promotion.

It is hoped that Steven Finn will be available, although I would like to think that we have enough other quality fast bowlers to be in a position to not have to select him if he is less than 100% fit. Unless Ireland have any matches I am not aware of, Paul Stirling should be available after playing for them v Somerset. I am not sure if James Franklin is in our plans. Nick Compton doesn’t seem to be anywhere near our plans, as I don’t think he has recently done anything in the way of training or spending time around the team, which would surely be a prerequisite for selection. Apart from the possible inclusions of Finn, Stirling and Franklin, our line-up will probably be similar to that which played v Durham MCCU.

Ahead of being due to make his second competitive 1st XI appearance for Middlesex against the team he was loaned to last season, Max Holden has spoken to ECB Reporters Network.

Northants will be without Nathan Buck. Hopefully Adam Rossington and Steven Crook will not haunt us.

11 April, 2018 20:09
Kevin Hand has tweeted Lord's WILL be able to use floodlights for our championship games this season.

Should gain us a few extra bonus points when we would otherwise have been off for bad light.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 12:21
According to Telegraph weather. Friday and Monday look best. Also Met only running to Harrow on the Hill at weekend so notice boards say.

So presumably, a switch to Chiltern there to reach Marylebone.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 12:34
Met line update...Only April 15th,before 0930 and after 2100,no service between Wembley Park and Aldgate.
Saturday is a standard service,with no closures.

tbl (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 16:59
BBC weather forecast is no rain on any of the 4 days.

Surprised no squad announcement as yet.

12 April, 2018 17:37
Robson, Barber, Cartwright, Eskinazi, Harris, Helm, Holden, Murtagh, Rayner, Roland-Jones, Simpson, Stirling, White.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 19:48
Middlesex’s squad contains the XI which played v Durham MCCU plus Tom Barber and Paul Stirling, so I imagine the only change we will make from that match will be Stirlo replacing Robbie White. If we feel that we may require hardly any overs of spin, we may decide to play Barber instead of Ollie Rayner, as we would have Stirlo and Max Holden able to bowl spin if required, although I can’t see us going down this road.

The squad news means that Steven Finn is not quite fit enough, and that we will be starting the season without James Franklin. From what was said at the AGM, it sounds like Finn will be fit for our second County Championship match of the season away to Derbyshire. As Franklin appears in the team photos, it seems he is closer to our plans than Nick Compton is.

On the evidence of how gloomy it was at 6:00pm tonight, there is a good chance that the availability of the floodlights will enable some overs to be bowled in this match which would not have been bowled without the lights.

From the recent images I have seen of Lord’s, I am fairly certain the pitch for this match will be on Tavern side.

Stevie Eskinazi has spoken to City AM, while a few member of our staff have spoken to our Audioboom page.

Richard Scott and Sam Robson have spoken to our YouTube page:

A video has been made about yesterday's Media Day:

Metropolitan line services towards Wembley will be very busy on Saturday night, as probably will be Jubilee line, Bakerloo line and Chiltern Railways to a lesser extent due to Tottenham Hotspur v Manchester City taking place at Wembley Stadium, kicking off at 7:45pm due to Sky not caring about fans. I would advise those intending to use the Met line to take the Jubilee line from St John’s Wood to Wembley Park, then pick up the Met line from Wembley Park, as it is likely to be considerably easier to get onto a Met line service there than at Finchley Road or Baker Street (unless that is where the train starts from).

tallliman (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 20:16
Wisden arrived today, championship arrives tomorrow and I've already seen a day of cricket this season. Such a happy day! Let's hope for a wonderful season and a trophy!

tbl (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 22:23
So the likely team is

Robson
Holden
Eskinazi
Cartwright
Stirling
Simpson
Rayner
Harris
Roland-Jones
Murtagh
Helm

Only 12 hours to go!

DeanSwift (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 23:20
On Talksport yesterday (Thursday) I was listening to some of the IPL game commentary and they mentioned that James Franklin is co-commentating this weekend on a game.

hdo (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 23:32
Very excited for tomorrow. Wonder how many layers of warm clothing I'll need.

13 April, 2018 07:07
At last!

Here we go then. Doubtless Northants will put us in on a green top under a cloudy sky, although the cloud should be with us all match.

Having felt confident all winter I'm now getting all nervous as to how our less experienced batting line up will cope with the conditions. Rayner (or maybe it will be Harris) at 7 will probably be quite common if we don't plan on playing Franklin, but the batting looks a bit thin.

Bowling shouldn't be a problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/04/2018 07:09 by chunkyinargyll.

13 April, 2018 07:19
Today looks like the kind of day when we could have spent a lot of time off for bad light. Thank goodness we can now use the floodlights, although they can only be used until the point where they overtake the natural light.

[www.metoffice.gov.uk]

dingy bags (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 07:21
Yes, still a good chance we will be off for bad light even with the floodlights, at times, but especially after five o'clock.

13 April, 2018 10:39
Well, there's a surprise!

Robbie White picked ahead of Stevie Eskinazi.

Needless to say, uncontested toss, so we're batting.

Barber the other one to miss out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/04/2018 10:40 by chunkyinargyll.

LegendJMB (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 10:49
Seems odd leaving out Eskinazi with such a weakened batting line up and after he got a hundred last week!

LegendJMB (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 10:56
Eski unwell so makes sense now. Really unlucky with injuries and illness for this game with Morgan, Gubbins and Eski, all batters, out. Fingers crossed

13 April, 2018 11:01
Well, the live streaming was a good idea.

If only it was working!

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net