cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP JT Murray Middlesex legend

More Harissment and 2nd Degree Murtagh
Middlesex till we die (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 20:23
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/04/2018 11:50 by BarmierKev.

Re: More Harissment and 2nd Degree Murtagh
Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 21:30
I had an idea that the headline of today's report would be similar to yesterday’s headline!

It was a surprise when Brett Hutton came in six places higher in the second innings than in the first! Maybe Northamptonshire thought that they had signed Leonard, Richard or Ben! The promotion was probably because he has four first-class fifties and reached the dizzy heights of 18 in their first innings.

I was impressed by the catch James Harris took off his own bowling to dismiss Josh Cobb, as the ball went very high up and took an age to come down, which required Harris to hold his concentration and physical position.

Despite Northants apparently finishing with a negative over rate and us on -1, it still seems that neither team has been deducted points. However, I don’t know if this means that we can breathe easily, or if it suggests that the umpires haven’t submitted their report yet.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 05:34
Jonathan- I'm sure the only reason there was a delay after the Surrey match was because we appealed the decision. Under normal circumstances I think any penalties are decided there and then, as the scorers go to the umpires at the end of a session, or a day with any mitigating circumstances, which the umpires will say yay or nay to.

On commentary something I hadn't considered before was mentioned- namely the time it takes for a batsman at Lord's to leave the changing room, and be in a position to face his first delivery. Takes Longer at Lord's because of all the flights of stairs, and walk through long room. I don't know if that equates to another 15 seconds per wicket, but over the course of 20 wickets that could be about 4 or 5 minutes which Kevin Hand reckoned could be counted as being beyond our control.

adelaide (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 10:22
Chunky

My impression was that the deduction was as big a surprise to the club as it was to us, because of the undertaking supposedly given by the umpires at the time. The appeal would therefore have come after the revised CC1 table was released by the ECB.

In the circumstances it would hardly have been surprising if normal processes had gone awry. The umpires may have been late submitting their reports, possibly having realised that they were not entitled to give said undertaking - but again you could hardly blame them for not thinking it through when a further fusillade may have been feared.

I'm not sure how much time is allowed for each wicket to fall. Logically, it ought to be the maximum time before an incoming batsman can be timed out (though that never happens), which is the same everywhere. If it is less it would be unfair because it is in the batting side's control. If it is not less then the Lord's stairs argument doesn't really hold up because the batsman has to be out there in the same time in any case.

Adelaide

Bagpuss (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 11:56
Two minutes is allowed for each wicket that falls, except those immediately before close of play/an interval or the final wicket of an innings.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 18:26
My point was that I am not sure whether points deductions are supposed to be accompanied by some sort of announcement, or whether they are supposed to be administrated without fanfare. When Middlesex lost points due to Arrowgate, it was understandable why it took until the next round of matches for it to be shown in the table, although I wouldn’t have minded there being announcement. In all likelihood, I am being paranoid, as I am sure that there have been many instances of teams bowling their final ball of the match with the scoreboard showing a negative over rate, yet they have not lost points, although I can’t be certain that no news is good news.

The thought has often entered my head that the walk from the dressing room to the crease must be longer at some grounds than others, which means it would make sense for there to be certain grounds where extra time is allowed for batsmen to get to the crease and for bowling teams to complete overs containing a wicket. At some grounds, the incoming batsman waits in a tent or has to go down just one flight of stairs, so the time taken to reach the crease at those grounds must be several seconds quicker than at Lord’s.

Patsy_Hendren (IP Logged)
20 April, 2018 08:13
It is always a good sign when the majority of one's bowling attack remains unused. Credit to Harris and Murtagh as part of a great comeback following a disappointing first innings.

A double celebration for Murtagh who has taken his 600th first-class wicket for Middlesex and 700th overall.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net