cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP JT Murray Middlesex legend

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Re: cc v Derbyshire 20-23 April 2018
Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
19 April, 2018 19:35
It is bad news that Stevie Eskinazi and Steven Finn remain injured and that Tom Barber has become the latest entrant to Middlesex’s treatment room, but at least it means that Robbie White should get another match, as (unless any of them become unavailable before the match, in which case I don’t know what we would do) surely will the four fast bowlers which played v Northamptonshire at Lord’s. Indeed, I would be surprised if we make any changes from the XI which played in that match.

It would be nice if George Scott plays in the County Championship at some point this season, but I don’t know who he could replace. My thoughts on James Franklin are well-known! It would be a shame if Robbie White is dropped after one match, not least because it would carry the risk of him not getting back in and his career thus being defined by featuring in what is tipped to became a famous photograph. As has been speculated, maybe Ollie Rayner could drop out. Considering our line-up is likely to include four fast bowlers, as well as Hilton Cartwright (who looks more like a fast bowler too as opposed to a medium-pacer), we don’t really need any more seam options.

Richard Scott has spoken to our YouTube page about this match:

tallliman (IP Logged)
19 April, 2018 20:13
I assume Franklin will play as he's been named. It'd be harsh to leave White out.....given the heat but the high water table around here it's hard to know if it'll turn.

rod/ed (IP Logged)
19 April, 2018 21:53
Quote:
Seaxe_Man
Predictably, after one warm day,where we went directly from winter to summer, April is now going to be a scorcher with plenty of sun cream required.
This is qualified by forecasts of smog arriving from the direction of the EU.

Overall good news for those going to Derby, with only at the mo, murk being shown for Sunday. The other three days look clear.

I went to Day 1 away to Derby on 20th April 2011 and it was a scorcher. Had to move into the shade!

BREARS (IP Logged)
19 April, 2018 22:37
Compton still waiting for the 2nd coming of the Black Death to get his chance

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
20 April, 2018 10:21
Now you might assume we will automatically ask them to bat first (and maybe we will) but it is sunny, and the tweeted picture of the pitch suggests it isn't a green top.

20 April, 2018 10:47
We do decide to bowl first.

Franklin and Scott left out of the 13

tallliman (IP Logged)
20 April, 2018 11:02
Tinges of green, almost thought we'd have a toss....

hdo (IP Logged)
20 April, 2018 11:31
Only just turned on the live stream, was a bit dismayed (from a scorecard view) to see that quite a few boundaries have already been scored - and the very first ball I see is an absolutely phenomenal one-handed slip catch. Truly a catch worth seeing on the highlights later for anyone who missed it.

20 April, 2018 16:46
3 superb catches by Ollie Rayner.

All 3 were the sort that most slippers could easily fail to take.

Better not mention his second over though.

And, as I type, Ollie takes a 4th catch to finish the innings off.

20 April, 2018 19:25
I am not sure if this was a particularly good day for Middlesex. To bowl Derbyshire out for 265 feels good, but Derbyshire will surely be happier than we will about three wickets falling and just 45 runs being scored in the 27 overs we faced before the close. I don’t know if it is a pitch on which batting is going to get harder, but if it is, then we could be in trouble if we get a first innings deficit, and could even be in trouble with a small lead. Therefore, we could do with having a good morning session tomorrow, as whoever wins that session would be able to take some momentum into the next two sessions.

20 April, 2018 19:33
I'm wondering if we would have been better off getting on with it, rather than trying to tough it out when we batted.

As with all the other games, wickets will fall at this time of year, so there isn't much to be gained by just occupying the crease, hoping things will get easier later on.

20 April, 2018 19:53

Beeamazed (IP Logged)
20 April, 2018 20:22
From a distance this dogged new approach under Robbo doesn't look too
clever.
Once you are bogged down ,difficult to raise the tempo
The track can't be that bad or did we under perform with ball?

Beeamazed (IP Logged)
20 April, 2018 20:22
From a distance this dogged new approach under Robbo doesn't look too
clever.
Once you are bogged down ,difficult to raise the tempo
The track can't be that bad or did we under perform with ball?

Lifer (IP Logged)
20 April, 2018 20:54
We didn't underperform - we were a bowler down as Toby went off with a stiff back after bowling only 5 overs so that's part of the reason why the tail got away.

tallliman (IP Logged)
20 April, 2018 21:42
I don't think we bowled as well as last week for example but I also thought we lacked some luck. Plenty of false shots early on which didn't result in wickets.

Derbyshire bowled well but I'm not sure If It was really 15 in 88 balls well. Cartwright got out trying to up the tempo but with only 5 overs to go. We need a good day tomorrow.

20 April, 2018 21:52
The poster Patsy_Hendren must have cursed things by this morning writing on another thread “It is always a good sign when the majority of one's bowling attack remains unused”. Well, I feared it was a bad sign that Middlesex bowled Derbyshire out despite Toby Roland-Jones only bowling five overs. I was hopeful it may have just been tactical, especially as I hadn’t read anywhere about him being injured, but unfortunately he is indeed injured. Richard Scott said that if TRJ is still stiff tomorrow, then they will have to do further investigation. As the three remaining fast bowlers are all skillful and we have a few other bowling options, I would like to think we could cope well if TRJ can’t bowl in the second innings, although it is unquestionably a disadvantage. Hopefully the injury will be nowhere near as bad as the one which ruled him out for several months last year.

Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
21 April, 2018 09:54
Morning All,

Well, we need to bat all day today for three primary reasons : if we do that, we should be up with or over Derby's total, it gives Toby and our other bowlers a day's rest, and thirdly, the pitch will have dried out a bit more, and so should help Ollie more.

That, a'hem................ is an aspiration. Middlesex, and brittle battling ......

However, if Stirlo bats for an hour, it could be game on!

About time Ollie made some meaningful runs too.

tallliman (IP Logged)
21 April, 2018 10:37
Was the last time Ollie was night watchman in the East Midlands at Trent Bridge?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/04/2018 10:37 by tallliman.

21 April, 2018 11:18
Rayner slain.

64-5

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net