cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP JT Murray Middlesex legend

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Re: cc v Derbyshire 20-23 April 2018
Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
21 April, 2018 11:04
Surely it is about time Middlesex grant a benefit year to Extras. I can remember many occasions when this player has made great contributions to the club, and this innings seems to be yet another one, having so far scored 35, which is so far more than any of Extra’s team-mates. Any runs we can get are important after the loss of two early wickets.

It would have been nice had Ollie Rayner’s participation as nightwatchman seen him score 143 not out like he did v Nottinghamshire at Trent Bridge in 2012, but his innings of 2 was closer to when he was out first ball as part of Jake Ball’s hat-trick v Nottinghamshire at Trent Bridge in 2016.

hdo (IP Logged)
21 April, 2018 11:07
Some of the wides being bowled today are frankly unbelievable, reminiscent of that famous Scott Boswell over from all those years ago. But there could be plenty more if the umpires were brave enough to give them. Viljoen bowled a ball which went for 5 wides earlier, then repeated the exact same ball and the umpire gave 4 byes.

And replays might prove me wrong, but I wasn't convinced by the LBW decision against Ollie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/04/2018 11:09 by hdo.

21 April, 2018 11:32
With the seventh wicket falling with Middlesex 141 behind, I am fearful that we are going to be set a very difficult fourth innings target.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
21 April, 2018 13:02
This isn't looking good.

I assume I'm not the only one who can't get the commentary after lunch.

hdo (IP Logged)
21 April, 2018 13:09
The umpires can't wait to put their finger up to every single Derbyshire appeal today.

TRJ was plumb and I didn't see Robson's dismissal. Several others though... blimey.

Oh, and yes, the commentary is off. KH has tweeted "they are working on it".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/04/2018 13:10 by hdo.

Fozzie (IP Logged)
21 April, 2018 14:08
Not looking at all good. 108 behind on 1sr innings, and Toby isn't bowling.

21 April, 2018 14:39
Well, full credit to Derbyshire.

They've played the better cricket so far.

But this is not the scorecard I was expecting (even allowing for absentees and TRJ unable to bowl).

tallliman (IP Logged)
21 April, 2018 14:43
Off for rain now. Given the high water table here, if we get a lot of it this could well be it for the day.

21 April, 2018 17:53
Not good.

Not putting them under any pressure.

Seemed like we were sitting back, waiting for something to happen.

Only it didn't.

21 April, 2018 17:55
After yesterday didn’t go particularly well, today was unquestionably even worse.

I would like to think that the fact Derbyshire didn’t lose any wickets in the 46 overs they faced today suggests that the pitch may allow Middlesex to achieve what is certain to be a high fourth innings target.

I don’t know why we bowled so many overs of spin in this innings, with Ollie Rayner and Paul Stirling having bowled more than any of our fast bowlers. Maybe we did it to keep our fast bowlers fresh for tomorrow. At least it means that our over-rate must consequently be out of the red, and maybe even in the green.

21 April, 2018 18:51
Sam Robson has spoken to Middlesex’s Audioboom page about today.

It sounds like Tim Murtagh and James Harris have strains, so that is the last thing Middlesex need.

tallliman (IP Logged)
21 April, 2018 20:14
Overrate is +2 I think. We got through 21 overs in an hour. Hope that's not 3 bowlers injured in one game!!

hdo (IP Logged)
21 April, 2018 20:40
Blimey. Our bowling attack should be winning this league for us. Now they're all crocked in week 2!

21 April, 2018 22:17
Its a case of 'same old same old'
The biggest factor that contributed to our relegation last year was a lack of batting points which meant we were always playing catch up in the second innings.
The reason we will not get promoted this year will be the lack of batting points and the inability to take a first innings lead.
We cannot rely on our seam attack to win games for us all the time we have to put runs on the score board.
I have not seen Hilton Cartwright play but did we really need an 'all-rounder' as an overseas player when we were crying out for a quality batsman who could hang around,build partnerships and put runs on the board.

22 April, 2018 07:04
Cartwright is a front line batsman, who bowls a bit.

I suppose, generally speaking, medium pacers don't fair well in Australia, so that would explain him being used sparingly in Australia, but us trying to treat him as an all rounder due to TRJ injury,and Murtagh niggle has resulted in him getting through more overs than anticipated.

[www.espncricinfo.com]

It seems like many Aussies, he likes to have a conversation with the batsman. That was flagged up by Kevin Hand.I didn't really notice much on the live stream.

Beeamazed (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 09:55
Dear oh dear,being written off already after a few days into the season.
Get a grip...😞

22 April, 2018 10:08
Harris unable to take the field this morning!

Very few batting points acquired by any team so far this season.

Things should start to improve next week, when some of the batsmen return.

22 April, 2018 10:13
It is bad news about Toby Roland-Jones and James Harris (I think both due to back strains) being off the field and that Ollie Rayner, although probably able to bowl, can’t field at slip due I think to a finger injury. The good news is that Tim Murtagh is able to bowl despite a tight hamstring and that Stevie Eskinazi is a sub fielder, so is hopefully now back to health.

22 April, 2018 15:12
Those that remember the John Player Sunday league will remember it was normally hosted by either Frank Bough, or Peter Walker, but for a while a chap called Mike Carey also hosted occasionally. He is still alive and well, and broadcasting to an audience of 200 or more on Radio Derby this afternoon.

Meanwhile, the best we can hope for now is a draw.

22 April, 2018 18:31
It is very disappointing that Middlesex have been beaten in virtually all departments in this match, especially when our line-up is compared to Derbyshire’s. Of course, it hasn’t helped that we entered this match with some quality players unavailable for all manner of reasons, and then picked more injuries during this match, but our performance still comes as a disappointment.

You never know, maybe tomorrow will see us chase down our target of 442, which is something I would rank higher than when we chased 472 v Yorkshire at Lord’s in 2014 considering little has gone right in this match since bowling Derbyshire out for 265, and also because this run chase has started nowhere near as well as that chase in 2014. If we can win this match, then about the only thing missing from our start to this season would be batting points. If we lose, then last week’s win v Northamptonshire at Lord’s means that it wouldn’t have been the worst of starts to the season.

With Dawid Malan and Stevie Eskinazi surely available for our next match v Glamorgan at Lord’s, and Nick Gubbins possibly back too (his inclusion in the squad for a 50-over 2nd XI match v Berkshire at Merchant Taylors’ School tomorrow gives hopes he may be back sooner than expected), our batsmen have an incentive to perform well at Derby in order to retain their places. It is not looked good for Robbie White after making 6 and 1, but hopefully Max Holden can build on his 37 not out tomorrow. As for our fast bowlers, I don’t know how many out of those selected for this match can play v Glamorgan, and I don’t know if Steven Finn is any closer to fitness. I was hoping to see Finn’s name in the 2nd XI squad, but he isn’t included. At least Tom Barber is included. At this rate, Ethan Bamber will have to play on Friday. He isn’t the 2nd XI squad, probably because he is required for 12th man duties at Derby.

Holden has spoken to our Audioboom page about today.

[edited to add Audioboom interview]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/04/2018 18:35 by Jonathan Winsky.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net