cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP JT Murray Middlesex legend

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Re: cc v Derbyshire 20-23 April 2018
hdo (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 18:35
Any chance of rain tomorrow??

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 18:49
Unfortunately, tomorrow looks like being a dry day in Derby. Hopefully, that may make it good batting conditions.

22 April, 2018 20:41
Earlier today, Middlesex's Twitter page reported that physio Pete Waxman said that Toby Roland-Jones has a sore back and James Harris has a sore side, although they will be able to bat tomorrow. However, I have no idea whether they will be able to play on Friday.

Patsy_Hendren (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 06:42
Considering Harris's fine start to the season, this is untimely news. To lose two such pivotal bowlers is disappointing. At least they are available to bat if required.

hdo (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 06:59
Quote:
Jonathan Winsky
Unfortunately, tomorrow looks like being a dry day in Derby. Hopefully, that may make it good batting conditions.

I admire your optimism Jonathan, I really do. But I'll be happy to be proved wrong!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/04/2018 06:59 by hdo.

23 April, 2018 07:21
As it was Derbyshire's turn to bat comfortably yesterday, perhaps our batsmen will start performing today. It is not impossible. The ability is there.

23 April, 2018 09:05
Five pace bowlers walking wounded to various degrees. Any chance of getting Podmore or Higgins on emergency loans?😹

23 April, 2018 10:19
A disappointing start to the day's proceedings. We are relying on Stirling and Simpson.

MiddleToWest (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 12:35
I too was hoping for rain. However, considering how it seems we've been comprehensively outplayed for the majority of the game then it would be unjust to come away with more than three points.

And a good shellacking early in the season could be a timely wake-up call that promotion is not a given.

23 April, 2018 13:31
Harris/Roland-Jones 8th wicket stand of 57 ended at 223/8

hdo (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 14:17
What are the rules re the end of the final session - ie is it based on time, or overs? I didn't really know the rules when we shockingly lost to Essex in the day/night match last season, and I still don't know them.

Bagpuss (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 14:37
Based on both! Once 80 overs in the day, or 5pm, is reached (whichever is the later) the final hour commences. From this point a minimum of 16 further overs must be bowled.

hdo (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 14:44
Thanks for the reply - just getting my head around it now!

If I understand it correctly - it seems that the 80-over mark will definitely be reached before 5pm, therefore this match will finish at 6pm? (unless Derbyshire don't manage to bowl 16 overs in that hour, which they surely will?)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/04/2018 14:46 by hdo.

Bagpuss (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 14:47
Basically Middlesex will try to slow things down so they only have to survive 96 overs in the day, whilst Derbyshire will try to speed things up to get in more overs.

Of course, there is the option to shake hands if both captains think its heading for a draw at 5pm...

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 14:52
Been some good batting by Helm and Harris to get us to tea.
The Derbyshire bowlers are getting bit grumpy now.
Rampaul has bowled to over shoulder in one over.
Long way to go still in cold Derby!

MiddleToWest (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 15:35
I rescind my earlier post about it being 'unfair' if we got a draw.

hdo (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 15:48
It's the hope that kills you...!!

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 16:16
We battled to the end.

Send for reinforcements for Glamorgan (Gubbins, Malan, and Eskinazi)

23 April, 2018 18:41
I feared that I would come home to find that Middlesex had lost, so I wasn’t surprised that it happened. However, considering James Harris, Toby Roland-Jones and Tom Helm were all able to get runs and occupy the crease, I can’t help feeling that we could have taken something from the match had our top order batted well in either innings.

Those aforementioned players’ innings were very admirable, although unfortunately I don’t think the fact they reduced the losing margin will count for much in the same way as it would in football, as runs scored - almost like the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s newborn son - occupies the fifth position when it comes to the line of tie-breakers for teams level on points, meaning it would take a very strange set of circumstances for it to become relevant. The four other tie-breakers in order of importance are most wins, fewest defeats, head-to-head result and most wickets taken.

Despite this defeat, we are second in the table, although have achieved only two points more than seventh-placed Sussex, and we have played one match more than the teams in third and fifth.

Richard Scott has spoken to our Audioboom page about this match. When asked about injuries, he was unsure about how many of our fast bowlers who played in this match will be fit to play v Glamorgan at Lord’s, and he didn’t mention Steven Finn, so I don’t know what Finn’s fitness is like. Thankfully, it sounds like Nick Gubbins and Stevie Eskinazi will be able to join Dawid Malan in being available.

Cricinfo has produced a report of today.

23 April, 2018 21:35
It is heartening that the Middlesex wagged but were not able to save the team from a disappointing defeat.

Full credit to Harris & Roland-Jones's 8th wicket stand of 57 and Harris & Helm's 9th wicket stand 106 which delayed the inevitable outcome. Harris batted for almost four hours under difficult circumstances.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net