cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP JT Murray Middlesex legend

Wes Stewart immigration limbo
adelaide (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 01:27
Thanks to Thomas on the Surrey board for posting this link there:-

[www.theguardian.com]

Related to the Windrush generation issue that has rightly become huge in the last few days but complicated by his having needed to hold a Jamaican passport when his temporary British one ran out.

Adelaide

Re: Wes Stewart immigration limbo
Patsy_Hendren (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 10:09
Let us hope that this unfortunate situation will be resolved as soon as possible.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 19:26
Wes Stewart certainly made a great contribution to the UK when taking 70 first-class wickets in 1966 and 49 in 1967, and then making cookers and decorating, so it is sad to hear about the situation experienced by he and other people from the Windrush Generation.

Hopefully common sense will prevail.

Uxmond (IP Logged)
19 April, 2018 14:18
Any idea why Wes Stewart's cricket career was so short? In three seasons he took a total of 131 wickets, averaging 23.91. If Middlesex felt they had enough fast bowlers without him, I'd have thought other counties would have been interested.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
19 April, 2018 14:29
That's a good point.

He was just before my memories start, but I'm guessing bowling averages tended to be a bit better in those days (and batting averages a bit worse) because of 3 day games, uncovered wickets (I think they still were then) no helmets to make batsman feel comfortable, etc.

Even so, an average of 23.91 would still be good (maybe more like 28 or 29 in today's currency) I suppose the other point is playing staffs tended to be smaller. I seem to remember Essex had a staff of 13 when I started watching, and 15 or 16 was common, so I suppose there was less opportunity for people who weren't automatic first picks to get another chance elsewhere.

PaulR_enfield (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 23:02
Just before my time too but there was far less movement between counties back then but it does seem strange that his career was so short based on those figures and considering the comparative figures of players who did carry on year after year at that time around the circuit.

Not just because he was a cricketer but it seems very disturbing that this generation of immigrants, having in some cases being appallingly treated at the time, even now are still going through this kind of stuff.

Patsy_Hendren (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 08:51
Does anyone know if Mr Stewart's case been resolved yet?

23 April, 2018 10:08
Ask Amber Dud or the Maybot.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
18 July, 2018 19:55
Former West Indies all-rounder Collis King has become the latest cricketer to have run into immigration difficulties, although better news is that Wes Stewart has been granted British citizenship.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net