Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Let the 2019 season begin

Current Page: 14 of 23
Re: Franchise CC
dingy bags 13 February, 2018 16:14
The Mercenaries, the Carpetbaggers, the Leeches, the Bounty Hunters, the Parasites, the Air Milers....I can think of quite a few good names. Anyone for any more?

BeefyRoberts 14 February, 2018 18:20
So,there we go.
The franchise grounds are announced.
Rose Bowl
Headingley
Lord's
Mexicans
Old Trafford
Sophia Gardens
Trent Bridge

Just need the names to be made up now.

Beeamazed 14 February, 2018 20:24
I'll start with the Tijuana Brasses..

BeefyRoberts 14 February, 2018 20:41
Rose Bowel Bandits
Headless Horseman of Headingley
House of Lords
Mexican Fajitas
Old Trafford Oafs
Sophia Gardens Strangers
Trent Bridge Travellers

Jonathan Winsky 14 February, 2018 22:51
Considering the eight venues for the new Twenty20 competition were exactly what I anticipated, the most interesting aspects of today’s announcement about major match allocation for 2020-2024 were that the final of the 50-over county competition will move from Lord’s to Trent Bridge, that The Oval and Lord’s will continue respectively hosting one and two Tests each summer, and that the wait for the Rose Bowl to stage an Ashes Test will continue after being left out in 2023.

The fact that Lord’s has held two Tests every summer since 2000 and The Oval has hosted one in all but one peacetime summer since 1933 wheares the other venues have to take in turns to miss out causes some resentment outside London, especially as England will go from playing seven Tests a summer to six as of 2020. However, it has to be said that tickets for Tests in London seem to sell better than at some at the other venues, especially when England are playing unglamorous opposition.

Despite it seeming justifiable that 50% of England’s Test matches should take place in London, I am unconvinced whether 25% of the teams in the new Twenty20 competition should be based there, as I don’t know if enough people will be interested in this new competition due to the teams having no previous identity. If not many people are interested, then having two teams in London would just further dilute the support. The organisers are convinced that people are going to be falling over themselves to attend matches, but I remain to be convinced about whether that confidence is justified.

adelaide 15 February, 2018 01:17
Surely the Oval-based team has to be the Archers?

Adelaide

dingy bags 16 February, 2018 09:53
Borrowing a line from the 'On the Move' thread, Rashid has told Yorkshire that he will only be playing white ball cricket this season. Yorkies have apparently gone to the ECB, alarmed that they will lose control of their players soon, once a number of them are contracted to a franchise in the middle of the English season. We are kind of there already with Morgan.

You can see the future - and it ain't red.

chunkyinargyll 16 February, 2018 10:18
Yorkshire fans are even more annoyed with Rashid because 2018 is his benefit year.

The posters on WRF are exceedingly unimpressed, and don't intend putting their hands in their pockets when the cloth cap comes round.

Lifer 16 February, 2018 11:18
The really good news is not only is the Bowl not getting an Ashes game its off the Test list altogether along with Cardiff. Tests will only take place at the 6 traditional grounds.

Perhaps that will teach Mr Bransgrove that you can't buy test matches.

adelaide 16 February, 2018 13:06
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
Yorkshire fans are even more annoyed with Rashid because 2018 is his benefit year.
The posters on WRF are exceedingly unimpressed, and don't intend putting their hands in their pockets when the cloth cap comes round.

Though at least he hasn't made the decision immediately after his benefit year. Nobody would do something like that, would they?

Adelaide

chunkyinargyll 16 February, 2018 13:33
Well, they can't take his benefit away from him, but as it is due to run from 6/4/18- 5/4/19 it looks like he will amass slightly less from the members than he would have done if he had signed a full contract.

Also he has only signed for the season, so could well do a runner to another county in 2019.

Suggestions he and Gale don't get on.

Jonathan Winsky 16 February, 2018 19:52
As I have previously said, I feel that the chances of the new Twenty20 competition being successful would increase if each team had a few local players. I suggest that the competition regulations should oblige each team to sign a certain amount of players who are local, something which could be defined by the player having a connection to a county which is or borders that which the team is based, or it could be defined by the player having a connection to the area which is within a certain radius of where the team is based. This would ensure that spectators watching the teams based at Lord’s and The Oval would see some players with connections to London, the South-East or Home Counties, those watching the team based at Trent Bridge would see players connected to the East Midlands, and those watching the team based at Sophia Gardens would see players connected with Wales or the West of England. Of course, a lot of people would prefer to go a whole hog and have each team be made of predominately local players supplemented by the overseas players.

Quote:
Jonathan Winsky
the wait for the Rose Bowl to stage an Ashes Test will continue after being left out in 2023

One of the things which counted against the Rose Bowl continuing as a Test venue was that the fact Lord’s and The Oval will continue sharing three matches means that playing at the Rose Bowl would mean that four of the six Tests staged in England would be played in the south. Personally, I feel sorry for Hampshire, as their effort to make it a great ground for spectators cannot be faulted juding by an app they are developing, although the fact their ground is difficult to get to by public transport obliges me to mark down my sympathy for them.

Quote:
Jonathan Winsky
tickets for Tests in London seem to sell better than at some at the other venues, especially when England are playing unglamorous opposition

It has to be said that the dates of Tests at Lord’s and The Oval are often more conducive to selling tickets than the dates of Tests at other venues, as it will obviously be easier to sell tickets during the school holidays than earlier in the season, particularly on day five. However, the Oval Test in 2018 will not take place until September, which means that, for once, Surrey’s straw is shorter than a few other counties.

Quote:
Jonathan Winsky
The Oval has hosted one in all but one peacetime summer since 1933

The one peacetime year since 1933 in which no Test took place at The Oval was 1970, which South Africa’s tour of England was cancelled and was replaced by a series v Rest of the World which did not carry Test status, in which The Oval was nonetheless once of the venues used.

BeefyRoberts 16 February, 2018 22:29
Diminishing crowds at test matches,one big reason is ticket prices that,to be honest,are getting out of hand now.
This year..up to £110+ top price for India.That can cover 2 or 3 nights hotel to watch Middlesex away,I know what I prefer doing,and the players appreciate us as well.
The t20 at the moment,ticket prices go up each year,so what will the price be by 2020 for this franchise stuff? The ECB will have to put low prices to entice people to come along,will they put a price the same for each venue? Lord's or Oval charging same as Glamorgan?
I last went to a home test match in 2005,following the Ashes to each ground,after that the prices went sky high,And,along with my sun scorched cap that has travelled the cricket world with me,I retired from international cricket.
I really hope this franchise cc stuff doesn't screw up our main game,the County Championship.

dingy bags 18 February, 2018 17:35
Have now read Atherton and Rob Andrew, both of whom suggest loads more players will become white-ball only. Andrew says the big unspoken debate is the entire future of first-class cricket. I think he's right. When this franchise stuff comes in and the Blast still happens, when will the CC be played? Down to ten games fairly quickly, then...?

I feel sorry for cricketers in the mould of Sam Robson, or even Chris Rogers, whose game isn't suited to T20.

Hants01 18 February, 2018 20:02
We now await the farcical names to be given to these franchises. I believe the whole experiment is going to be a disaster for the ECB. Watched by nobody, interesting nobody. Sport to be successful needs to resonate, be it through individuals or teams. Will anyone have an identity with these manufactured teams? I doubt it. Will the England players be available? I doubt it. Will the Indians allow their best players to participate? I doubt it. Will the likes of AB de Villiers turn up here? I doubt it.

This needs to be strangled at birth, humiliated by the T20 Blast, ignored and boycotted by all county fans. Let the idea of Graves and Bransgrove, etc. be consigned to the dustbin of history as soon as possible.

Primrose Hillbilly 18 February, 2018 20:36
I believe my view that the Exterminate Cricket Bureau wish and are setting out to do just that is well known.

How the idiots there can claim to want to see England rank No. 1 Test Team in the world when they only provide tracks that are either April / May soggy or September dead is utterly delusional or deceitful.

Why would Rashid want to try to get turn and bounce out of a northern county rice pudding of a pitch in the early slot for the CC, then bowl on dead flat tracks (apart from in Zummerzett) in September?

He's seen that England have no interest in him as a Test player, think that Moeen is a no. 6 batter and their front line spinner, so he's off.

Equally, a real fast bowler is not going to get anything out of a wet track in May, yet will see a bowler of less pace and bounce than he get 4- 28, and the real pace man will get stick for going at over 4 an over.

So, express pace - Starc, Larwood, Snow, Thommo, Mad Mitch, Willis, Lindwall, Tyson - that wins Ashes series - especially those in Australia - is not going to be fostered by the ECB's approach to the game.

Nor is leg spin, .......S. K. Warne, anyone? - Oh, no, he was a one off, never to be repeated - well, he won't be if you don't try !!!!!

But don't worry.

The ECB's coffers have never been fuller, and the game is on a very firm financial basis, while local clubs close, kids don't have anything to do when there's no football season, so they will never play cricket, and will never even see it, because the ECB sold out to pay to view.

W (estern) Anchors, the lot of them.

Strauss should be ashamed of himself, but he's making too much money to care now.

Seaxe_Man 20 February, 2018 13:57
More good news for you chunky. Hales is reported to have joined the road pioneered by Rashid. White ball only.

Amusingly, Morgs, who the MX website said had signed a long term deal with us, length unspecified.

Said in Auckland on Sunday that he wanted to play some championship cricket for MX this season. Ammunition for the cynics.

This answered your question as to what form of contract Morgs is on. You favoured white ball but it seems that he is in for all three forms.

Returning to Rashid and Hales. Australia have currently a red ball team in SA, four Tests. While their white ball brethren are in NZ.

It looks as though like the Big Bash, the ECB are going to follow suit.

Jonathan Winsky 23 February, 2018 19:12
An article on page 32 of tonight’s Evening Standard (which appears not to be available online) says that MCC have applied to Westminster City Council to increase the amount of evenings each year in which the floodlights can be switched on from 10 to 15. Although the article says that they are doing this with the 2019 World Cup in mind, I imagine that MCC have also made this application with the new Twenty20 competition in mind, as the introduction of that will mean that Lord’s will be hosting four city-based Twenty20 matches a season and hopefully most of Middlesex’s home Twenty20 matches (the amount of matches we have played there each season has steadily increased over the years, and will reach five in 2018). However, the council have received six objections, so we will have to see whether the application will be accepted when the council discuss the issue on Tuesday.

It would be nice if any increase in the allowance of floodlight use would allow them to be switched on in the County Championship, but I doubt it.

BeefyRoberts 23 February, 2018 19:28
Is that 6 objections to the floodlight request,or 6 objections to franchise cc??

Jonathan Winsky 23 February, 2018 19:47
Sadly, the objections are about the floodlights!

Current Page: 14 of 23

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net