cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Floodlights in use at last

Current Page: 16 of 17

Re: Madness
Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 12:30
Andrew Strauss this morning spoke to BBC Radio 5 Live's Sportsweek programme about the new tournament, although I think some people took offence when he said that mums and kids will find it simpler to understand than other formats, and that the organisers want kids to be able to go to bed earlier.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 19:24
On commentary, the Derbyshire CEO repeated the 'mums and kids' gaffe (are they only interseted in unmarried mums?) and repeated it had to be easy to understand for new audience.

Men drinking beer not target audience.

Nottinghamshire might play some 'home' games at Derby whilst Trent Bridge is unavailable, so will have to go to another city for home games.

We are the 'grey market' We do count, but we must attract new audience, and the best playing the best should help us become the best T20 side in the world the best 16.4 over side in the world. (which we will be, because we will be the only ones playing it.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/04/2018 19:32 by chunkyinargyll.

PaulR_enfield (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 22:42
This has just got beyond parody now and how a recent England captain who was reluctant supposedly to play T20 himself can be involved in this nonsense makes me lose what little respect, on cricket matters, that I had left for him.

I really wish that the counties supposedly opposed/concerned with all the stuff that's going on (not just on this circus) would grow some and at least go down fighting because if they just keep going along with it the smaller/non test counties are going to be wiped out anyway and the cricketing Dr Beeching and his cronies will probably end up destoying the whole game here as well.

I know that the guy from Surrey and another have resigned (can't remember which county) from the ECB board but doesn't that just strengthen the hand of the destroyers?

Watched my first county games 50 years ago this year and was at Lords last Saturday still watching the (proper) game with the same enthusiam as I had then but really do feel that 2019 will be my last year following the game.

Patsy_Hendren (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 08:33
It will be unfortunate if the ECB lose one core audience, in order to gain another. As was evidenced at a major London football club, the penny finally drops when a large number begin to cease renewing their season tickets. Yes, ultimately money does talk. Too many people appear to be taken for granted.

There must be another way for the game to evolve constructively.

23 April, 2018 11:26
The final 10 ball over could be shared between two, or even 3 bowlers, according to Kevin Hand (via report in Telegraph).

Bagpuss (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 15:43
The conspiracy theorist in me would question whether the ECB would be that bothered if county supporters stopped renewing their memberships. There is no direct financial gain to the ECB. And with the majority of counties being member-owned clubs, large membership bodies are a pesky inconvenience when you're trying to exterminate more than a hundred years of history.

23 April, 2018 21:58
Unsurprisingly, there is a big backlash from the 420 professional cricketers about the plans for the new tournament. A meeting will take place between ECB and each county’s PCA representative at Edgbaston on 8th May.

Ollie Rayner’s reaction to the rumour about two or three bowlers being able to bowl the 10-ball over was to write on Twitter “this has gone too far now”.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 22:03
2 or 3 bowlers?
Well,to make it more interesting,how about a bowler from each end at the same time.Could use that for 5 balls per bowler.
It will cut down broadcast time,and be exciting for the 'New breed'

hdo (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 22:18
Is there any danger that some players might do a reverse-Hales and declare that they only want to play proper cricket? Are they allowed to opt out of this kind of thing??

tbl (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 22:27
hdo, we can but hope!

24 April, 2018 07:03
Re the article JW linked to.

As this is a direct quote I assume I'm allowed to say Durham players representative Chris Rushworth described it as 'a load of b*llocks' on twitter.

Patsy_Hendren (IP Logged)
24 April, 2018 07:39
z
Quote:
Bagpuss
The conspiracy theorist in me would question whether the ECB would be that bothered if county supporters stopped renewing their memberships. There is no direct financial gain to the ECB. And with the majority of counties being member-owned clubs, large membership bodies are a pesky inconvenience when you're trying to exterminate more than a hundred years of history.

If the anticipated new audience fails to materialise then it may be interesting to see the Board's reaction. However we are expected to agree, even with the most unexpected of requests.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
24 April, 2018 15:00
Further given the 16.4 over gimmicky larf I think it should be renamed the Coco Bash and the ten ball over named Grock.

As mentioned by some and to add to the hilarity. A pitchside bloke in A Jester's outfit to signal when the Joker is to be played.

Runs in the Joker over to count double. As to who wears the Jester's suit I will leave to the mtwd punters choice..

Westrock (IP Logged)
24 April, 2018 17:05
If under the laws of cricket an over is 6 balls will that mean this new competition will not count as a game of cricket?

24 April, 2018 17:17
It might not count for 'official records' in the same way that T20, List A. First class, and test do- which may put some overseas player off (because people do like their runs and wickets to count).

This is turning in to a Sinclair C5 of a competition.

26 April, 2018 17:46
Not many players seem to think it's a good idea.

Yorkies Jack Brookes is the latest to chip in-

[www.thetimes.co.uk]

08 May, 2018 21:05
Cricinfo’s George Dobell has produced an article about today’s meeting at Edgbaston. I was going to analyse it, but I have spent too much time on MTWD this evening!

It seems that women cricketers are just as concerned (if not more concerned) than the men are about the proposed competition. Whereas men will still be able to play conventional Twenty20 cricket for their counties, women will be unable to do so, as the conditions for their tournament is likely to be identical as the men, meaning women are set to play 100-ball cricket too, unless of course ECB cave into the vast amount of pressure being imposed by players and supporters.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 10:47
According to the idiots inventing the 100 rubbish,Root and Stokes will be 'Allocated to a team for marketing purposes but they won't play.Point made that new audience won't necessarily know who Stokes and Root are anyway '
Was no discussion about LBW being abolished,maybe only bowl underarm as well!

Sussex Seaxe (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 16:58
I read somewhere else a suggestion that Bradman and Grace should likewise be used as the intended audience won't know that they are dead.

09 May, 2018 19:52
In reaction to the comment about the marketing for this competition being expected to feature players who are unlikely to play due to their England Test commitments, some people have pointed out that this arguably breaks advertising laws. I am sure that the Advertising Standards Agency have forced plenty of adverts to be amended or withdrawn for the most trivial of reasons, so ECB beware!

During the planning for the new competition, there has been a lack of opportunity for players, present supporters and other stakeholders to have their input. Indeed, at one point, the counties were forced to sign non-disclosure agreements which would have prevented them from telling supporters about the plans for the tournament until 10 years had passed, although ECB later changed their mind about making the counties do this. Due to this lack of opportunity, it is a sign in the right direction that ECB say that meetings with the players will happen more often.

If ECB really want this competition to do well, they really should find a way to ensure that England's Test players can participate, perhaps by scheduling Test matches for before and after the tournament. It would allow them to use Joe Root and Ben Stokes in their marketing without fear of a letter from the Advertising Standards Agency!

It was originally assumed that while the new competition takes place, counties would play 50-over matches. However, rumours began circulating that maybe County Championship matches would be played during this period. Now, a lot of people are saying that Championship matches shouldn’t be played, as it would devalue the competition if some of the matches are played without players involved in the new competition, so it looks like 50-over matches will be played at this time after all.

Current Page: 16 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net