cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP JT Murray Middlesex legend

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
SCC: Middlesex versus Glamorgan at Lord's (27th to 30th April)
Patsy_Hendren (IP Logged)
24 April, 2018 04:38
A new adventure awaits us as we entertain Glamorgan at Lord's on Friday.

We welcome back our recently appointed captain Dawid Malan following his break. Due to several recent injury issues, one can only speculate about the squad's appearance at this stage:

SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY
Andersson Bamber Barber Cartwright Compton Eskinazi Finn Franklin Fuller Godsal Gubbins Harris Helm Holden Lace Malan* Morgan Murtagh Patel Rayner Roland-Jones Robson Scott Simpson+ Sowter Stirling White

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2018 17:27 by BarmierKev.

Re: SCC: Middlesex versus Glamorgan at Lord's (27th to 30th April)
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
24 April, 2018 06:07
Well, that narrows it down a bit.

24 April, 2018 06:44
A POSSIBLE XI

Gubbins Holden Robson Malan* Eskinazi Stirling Simpson+ Fuller Helm Barber Murtagh

This selection might strengthen the batting with Fuller and Barber replacing Harris & Roland-Jones if they are not passed fit. Gubbins and Eskinazi would replace White and Rayner if we opt for the extra batsman.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/04/2018 10:11 by Patsy_Hendren.

24 April, 2018 07:56
You don't want Sam Robson, then?

If we aren't picking Compton and Franklin because they won't be here in 2019, then the same logic should be applied to Cartwright, who was only ever a short term signing, because of our injury crisis. He's done no better, and no worse than the rest of the top 5, but he hasn't been outstanding, so I expect he has played his last game.

Fuller for Rayner from the above (need 4 seamers, and Holden, Stirling and Malan can fiddle a few overs of spin between them).

tbl (IP Logged)
24 April, 2018 09:46
Richard Scott said that Eskinazi and Malan would definitely be available and Gubbins may be. He couldn't comment on the availability of bowlers pending further investigation. Pointless picking a team until we know the injury situation, but I doubt we will drop Robson or Rayner.

24 April, 2018 10:07
I would not include Rayner as Stirling and Holden can provide adequate spin. Assuming of course that we have 4 fit pace bowlers.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
24 April, 2018 11:10
Glammy will be pumped for this game after their 5 wicket defeat of Glaws. They have invested a bit this winter and Robert Croft is full of confidence.

So I would think MX will need to be on their A game. Conditions forecast to be murky but it is a few days off.

Robbo Holden Eski/Cartwright Malan* Stirlo Simmo Franklin Harris Helm Barber Murtagh/Finn (fitness?) if not Fuller. Cartwright? 12th man unusual for o/s. Toss up between him and Eski it looks like.

Bat to nine at least. James Harris. Let us hope that he develops into the all rounder we need.

The early batting particular has yet to shake off last season's hangover. In five matches that I saw last season, we picked up two batting points.

Chelmsford 1, Southport 0, Lords (warwick) 0, Uxbridge 1, Taunton 0.

As I think JW commented. The lack of those spelt relegation despite Robin Hood.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/04/2018 11:18 by Seaxe_Man.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
24 April, 2018 19:26
Middlesex could well enter this match without Steven Finn (twisted right knee), Toby Roland-Jones (sore back), James Harris (sore side) and Tim Murtagh (tight hamstring). With regards to TRJ and Harris, I feel pessimistic about the possibility of them playing in this match, as they were unable to field let alone bowl v Derbyshire at Derby after they sustained their injuries (although they were most certainly able to bat). With regards to Murtagh, I would like to think he will be fit enough to play, although the club may feel reluctant to select him due to a fear that he could aggravate his hamstring and be out for a long time. Murtagh did not bowl any of the final 54 overs of Derbyshire’s second innings. With regards to Finn, the last news I heard about his fitness was an update on the offical website 21 days ago saying that it was hoped he would be fit in time for our opening County Championship match. No wonder why Angus Fraser would like counties to be compensated when a player has to miss county matches due to an injury suffered playing in an overseas Twenty20 tournament. Considering Tom Helm has had his injury problems, I imagine that the club were hopeful that we could rest him at some point, but surely he has to play v Glamorgan. I wouldn’t have thought that Helm’s tally of 6 overs in our first match and 35 overs in our second match would cause him to enter this match jaded.

The above could result in Tom Barber, James Fuller and possibility Ethan Bamber getting an opportunity, and in James Franklin being required. I have recently read and written so much about how highly Barber is rated by the bowling coaches in the England set-up, so it would be nice if he could be given a first-class debut. Fuller made a great contribution to our 2016 title win despite only playing three matches, as he took a second innings 5-70 in the win v Hampshire at Merchant Taylors’ School and scored 93 (to take us from 212-8 to 381 all out and thus four batting points and a 145-run first innings lead) and 36 off 18 and took three wickets in each innings in the win for a depleted Middlesex side v Somerset at Taunton. I can see Franklin playing, as although I don't particularly rate him, he is capable of scoring some runs and sending down a few overs, so may be seen as being close to a like-for-like for our injured fast bowlers. It would be a surprise if Bamber plays, but if our injury situation gets much worse, he could well be in our side.

It would be great if Nick Gubbins, Stevie Eskinazi and Dawid Malan are available, especially as Gubbo wasn’t expected back so soon. Robbie White is likely to be one of the fall guys, but it is anyone’s guess who the two others will be, assuming of course that Gubbo, Eski and Malan all play. I can’t see Sam Robson and Hilton Cartwright not playing, although you never know. I would like Max Holden and Paul Stirling to retain their places, although Holden would surely have to come in down the order if Robbo and Gubbo open. Maybe it will be Ollie Rayner who misses out.

Glamorgan are hopeful that their players will not be overawed by playing at Lord’s.

The rain may or may not stay away during this match.

A photo of Lord’s taken today suggests that the pitch for this match will be on Grand stand side, as that is where the only pitches potentially available are.

If the match goes deep into day four on Monday, then those travelling towards Wembley after the match may find the trains busy due to the Tottenham Hotspur v Watford match, which kicks-off at 8:00pm. The good news for me about that match taking place when it does is that it means that depending on the weather and match situation, I may be able to spend two full days at Lord’s at the weekend, which I wouldn’t have able to do had the football taken place at the weekend.

Lab Rat (IP Logged)
24 April, 2018 23:49
Hi all, I intend to come to Lord's for one of the days of the Glamorgan match with an elderly friend. As the weather forecast isn't great, I was wondering whether it will be possible to watch some of the action from an indoor setting, if not, just to sit down somewhere to warm up from the cool temperatures outside. Looking forward to visiting the magnificent ground, and to see some competitive cricket from both sides.

25 April, 2018 18:31
The only areas of Lord’s I can think of which offer the possibility of watching play from indoors are the Pavilion, Middlesex Room and Warner stand. However, those areas are only available to members, and the first two of those areas have a dress code. If the pitch is where I anticipate it will be, then it would be possible to gain shelter in the back half of the Grand side and lower tier of the Compton stand. Usually, people are able to go into the Indoor School or the Library (the entrance to which is opposite the entrance to the Pavilion) if they wish to pass time or find warmth.

The forecast gives hope of a rain-free day on Saturday and for there to be lots of play on Sunday, although Friday and Monday aren’t looking so good.

Middlesex’s official website has looked back at the Middlesex v Glamorgan match in 2009, when Phillip Hughes marked his club debut by scoring 118 and 65 not out.

Richard Goatley has spoken to City AM about various things.

Lab Rat (IP Logged)
25 April, 2018 19:04
Thank you Jonathan.

25 April, 2018 20:45
Membership of the Seaxe Club is available for all existing Middlesex members. The Seaxe Box is in the Tavern Stand were a warm welcome is always assured.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
26 April, 2018 11:46
Just received a text to say Toby Roland-Jones out for the rest of the season.

If correct, terrible news for the player and Mx.

Not sure of the source.

LegendJMB (IP Logged)
26 April, 2018 11:54
Agree. Very sad news.

EH Hendren (IP Logged)
26 April, 2018 12:18
[www.independent.co.uk]

The Independent are one of several newspapers which have confirmed the news of Toby's injury.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
26 April, 2018 13:12
Lab Rat. Would advise for yourself and your elderly friend that you tog up with a thick top coat and jumper. Plus a scarf and hat..

And a decent pair of trousers and thickish socks. From experience, can be as cold as Merchant Taylors and that's saying something.

26 April, 2018 13:15
Squad named-

Malan, Barber, Cartwright, Eskinazi, Franklin, Helm, Holden, Murtagh, Rayner, Robson, Scott, Simpson, Stirling.

tbl (IP Logged)
26 April, 2018 14:04
So Barber likely to make his CC debut and maybe Franklin in place of Stirling to give us another pace option?

Club statement indicates that Gubbins and Harris should be back for the Sussex game.

EH Hendren (IP Logged)
26 April, 2018 14:17
A possible XI:

Robson Holden Eskinazi Malan* Cartwright Stirling/Scott Simpson+ Rayner/Franklin Barber Helm Murtagh

26 April, 2018 18:45
Middlesex’s injury situation ahead of this match is mixed news. I anticipated that we would be without Toby Roland-Jones, James Harris and Steven Finn, although it is nonetheless very sad for everyone about TRJ being out for the rest of the season. Thankfully, Harris is expected to play next week v Sussex at Hove, and Finn is apparently within a couple of weeks of fitness. I was doubtful about Tim Murtagh’s fitness, but he seems to have been passed fit, which is a big relief bearing in mind the aforementioned injuries in the fast bowling camp. I just hope that there will no realisation of my fear that Murtagh could aggravate his injury (which is to his back, not his hamstring as I previously stated) by playing. I was confident that Nick Gubbins would be fit, but it looks like that we will have to wait another week for his return.

I am surprise that James Fuller is not in the squad considering the impact he made to our County Championship title win in 2016. At least it is looking certain that unless he suddenly becomes available, Tom Barber will be making his first-class debut and his second appearance for our 1st XI.

I would prefer George Scott to play instead of Franklin, but Franklin will probably get the nod. I don’t know a great deal about Scott, but I believe he is capable of scoring runs and getting through some overs of seam, just like Franklin. Also, Scott is younger than Franklin and thus could be around for the long-haul, which is why I prefer him to Franklin.

As we are likely to have only three fast bowlers as opposed to the four we selected for our first two matches, I imagine that we will try to get a lot of overs from whoever we select out of Franklin, Scott and Hilton Cartwright.

Glamorgan have named a 13-man squad for this match consisting of Michael Hogan (captain), Nick Selman, Jack Murphy, Shaun Marsh, Kiran Carlson, Aneurin Donald, Chris Cooke, David Lloyd, Andrew Salter, Lukas Carey, Marchant de Lange, Timm van der Gugten and Ruaidhri Smith.

The weather makes me pessimistic about this match being anything other than a battle for bonus points as opposed to it being one likely to produce a result. However, even if the weather is as bad as I fear it will be, I suppose a result cannot be discounted bearing in mind how the match v Northamptonshire at Lord's went two weeks ago.

Richard Scott has spoken to our YouTube page ahead of this match:

Despite his injury, BBC Wales spoke to Harris.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net