cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Floodlights in use at last

International calls
EH Hendren (IP Logged)
29 April, 2018 02:58
One of the advantages from having a relatively large squad is the ability to cover the various absences which are caused by injury, loss of form and international calls.

Due to the forthcoming inaugural Test between Ireland and Pakistan in May, we expect to lose Murtagh and Stirling from the team which will face Gloucestershire.

All Ireland domestic and international cricketers will require an overseas registration from September 2019.

Re: International calls
Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
29 April, 2018 09:49
It will be blow for Middlesex to not have Tim Murtagh and Paul Stirling available at Gloucestershire, but hopefully James Harris and Steven Finn will have returned by then. Murtagh and Stirlo may also miss the day/night County Championship v Kent at Canterbury in June due to Ireland playing two Twenty20 matches v India. It will be a dream come true for them to make their Test debuts v Pakistan. Sky will be broadcasting coverage of those matches v Pakistan and India, although it seems that their deal with Cricket Ireland only covers those matches, meaning it is unclear who the long-term UK broadcasters of cricket from Ireland will be.

Our squad should be able to cope with the various Ireland, England and England Lions call-ups which our players will get this season, but it becomes difficult if injuries, illness, ECB orders and loss of form are additionally factored in.

EH Hendren (IP Logged)
30 April, 2018 19:55
It is long overdue to have a neighbour in European Test cricket. If our two cricketers are selected for Ireland's Test debut then we should see it as a recognition of Middlesex cricket development.

Patsy_Hendren (IP Logged)
07 May, 2018 03:57
www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/44003631

Ireland include Murtagh & Stirling in their initial Test squad alongside several former Middlesex cricketers. Smith has withdrawn through injury and has been replaced by Young.

A.Balbirnie, E.C.Joyce, T.E.Kane, A.R.McBrine T.J.Murtagh, W. T.S.Porterfield*, K.J.O'Brien, N.J.O'Brien+, W.B.Rankin, J.N.K.Shannon, P.R.Stirling, S.R.Thompson, G.C.Wilson+, C.Young

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2018 09:54 by Patsy_Hendren.

EH Hendren (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 09:04
Ireland have replaced the injured Smith with Young in their 14-man squad.

15 May, 2018 12:27
Tim Murtagh has made a successful Test debut for Ireland versus Pakistan with four wickets.

13 June, 2018 10:24
Similar to other clubs, it is considered an honour for a cricketer to receive an international call-up.

Malan has featured in the Test and t2o teams although he has yet to make his ODI debut for England.

Gubbins and Helm have been called up by the England Lions.

Barber appears to remain on the radar as he may play for an ECB XI versus India 'A' at Emerald Headingley.

Defcon1 (IP Logged)
13 June, 2018 11:22
Quote:
Patsy_Hendren
Similar to other clubs, it is considered an honour for a cricketer to receive an international call-up.

And yet we are languishing in the depths of div 2 and are already out of one cup with scarcely a whimper.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
13 June, 2018 12:50
Club or country?
Although it's always a great honour to represent your country,I am club before country.
To see my club,Middlesex win a trophy will always mean more to me,people who travel far and wide to see us win and smiles on faces always brings happiness.
I have seen England win Ashes,and travelled to Australia 4 times to see us lose the Ashes.
Sri Lanka,West Indies and that Stanford Stuff as well (only for Middlesex,wouldn't of even thought of the idea if we were not playing)
But,to me,watching Middlesex win means so much to me.

Jack Hearne (IP Logged)
13 June, 2018 14:59
I fully agree with you Beefy. It is a question of context but if our cricketers are recognised then it should be considered as a compliment to their and our club.

Nothing quite replicates our club being successful, especially when one has experienced the less successful periods. We love our club and that is why we keep returning. This quality also applies to many of our cricketers as well.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
13 June, 2018 15:52
how many accounts have you got?

For one thing it gives you 3 votes in the Player of the month poll.

13 June, 2018 20:23
As counties are financially incentivised by ECB to produce players for England, most coaches and officials at counties will say that producing players for England has a greater or similar level of importance as on-field success. Many players will say something similar, as it is arguably the pinnacle of a player’s career to play internationally. As nearly every county needs as much income from ECB as they can get, the counties are bound to seek to do what ECB request.

Although I feel much more attachment towards Middlesex (whose matches I regularly attend) than I do towards England (whose matches I have hardly ever attended), I can see why ECB want the counties to prioritise England’s needs over their own needs, as a successful England side can play a large role in the quest to grow cricket in this country. It would be harder to get people to play and/or follow cricket if England weren't successful.

When ECB was created in 1997, England’s players often felt more attached to their counties than to England, and often arrived at matches tired, which I suppose was nothing new considering Test cricket had been played for 120 years by that point, although what probably made it an issue was that touring sides began reducing their tour matches around that point, which meant that they arrived at international matches fresher than England’s players. The 90’s were seen as a poor decade for English cricket, and it culminated in a three-month period in which England fell at the first hurdle at the World Cup on home soil, and they went bottom of the ICC Test Rankings. In response to that, ECB introduced central contracts, and many people feel that they have helped the occasional success that England has enjoyed in the subsequent period.

Of course, if ECB were truly serious about getting people interesting in cricket, they should have kept live cricket on terrestrial TV. As it hasn’t been shown since 2005, and the next broadcasting contract will result in nothing more than a few Twenty20 and 100-ball matches being shown live on terrestrial, it is going to be very difficult to get live Test matches back on terrestrial.

adelaide (IP Logged)
13 June, 2018 21:47
The attachment is most definitely to Middlesex but I accept that the success of the England team is more important. Rather like rugby union but not at all like football, which thankfully will continue to flourish when we fail to qualify from the World Cup group in the next couple of weeks.

Adelaide

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
13 June, 2018 21:59
We've been over this a few times in the last couple of years.

I want all Middlesex players to be the best they can be, and get as far as their talent takes them, so that has to be international cricket.

I support Middlesex, but I support the players who do their best for us, so it would be odd not to want them to be as successful as they can possibly be.

International calls are just another issue (like bad weather) to be overcome.

Your best 11 players won't win you trophies. Your best 18 might (because you can't expect to pick the 'best' 11 all summer).

And other teams have to give up players for England- so are we hoping to benefit from playing a side missing 3 or 4 of their best players, whilst losing none of ours?

If we are good enough (strength in depth) then it shouldn't matter.

Perhaps we aren't good enough (but that's another issue).

Lifer (IP Logged)
15 June, 2018 12:24
All true but I get a little annoyed about players withdrawn from CC matches for Lions games

20 June, 2018 19:50
Middlesex will have three players involved in England’s U-19’s two-Test series v South Africa, as Ethan Bamber, Jack Davies and Luke Hollman are included, while the club have also provided Andy Mitchell as strength and conditioning coach.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net