cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP JT Murray Middlesex legend

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
CC v Sussex, 4-7 May 2018
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
01 May, 2018 06:26
Weather looking good at the moment-

[www.metoffice.gov.uk]

I #m wondering if Ireland will make a polite request (I don't think they can insist on it) that we rest Stirling and Murtagh, ahead of Ireland's debut test against Pakistan, starting on the 11th. As it's their first test, they might want longer prep and bonding time than normal.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2018 08:44 by BarmierKev.

Re: cc v Sussex, 4-7 May 2018
Patsy_Hendren (IP Logged)
01 May, 2018 07:15
* Robson
* Gubbins
* Eskinazi
* Malan*
* Cartwright
* Holden
* Simpson+
* Harris
* Rayner
* Murtagh
* Barber

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2018 10:34 by Patsy_Hendren.

Re: CC v Sussex, 4-7 May 2018
Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
01 May, 2018 19:20
Nick Gubbins certainly should be able to play considering he will enter this match with two 2nd XI matches under his belt, while Middlesex are hopeful that James Harris will be too. However, I anticipate that Steven Finn’s maiden 1st XI appearance of the season will come the following week v Gloucestershire at Lord’s. Before the season started, I doubt the club were keen on the idea of selecting Tom Helm for each of our first four matches of the season due to his injury history, but the fact he barely bowled in two of our first three matches means that there is no reason to wrap him in cotton wool.

If Gubbo plays, it would end his absence from our previous eight County Championship line-ups stretching back nine months. I imagine that he would open with Sam Robson and that they will open for our remaining Championship matches unless until either of them becomes unavailable. However, I am confident that Max Holden will make further appearances in our Championship side in the middle-order. If everyone is available, we will have to see which two of Holden, Paul Stirling and Hilton Cartwright play, unless we select all three. If Cartwright plays (it would seem unthinkable if he doesn’t play considering leaving him out would make his presence pointless), hopefully he will show why he is highly-rated in Australia.

We can ill-afford to end our fourth match of the season with our second defeat, especially as we will be facing a Sussex side who will surely be there or thereabouts in the race for promotion. They have drawn all three matches so far, yet are level on points with us due to the fact they have achieved 7 batting points to our 1.

I was hoping to attend on Sunday and/or Bank Holiday Monday, but the fact buses replace trains between Gatwick Airport and Three Bridges has put me off. It is a shame considering the weather is set to be excellent. Businesses on the South Coast must be disappointed if Londoners feel dissuaded to travel there on the Bank Holiday weekend. However, as someone who regularly travels by various forms of rail transport, I am very appreciative of how these line closures ultimately make the network run better during the key times and reduce instances of the various forms of disruption.

tallliman (IP Logged)
01 May, 2018 20:29
I believe there are still direct trains if you aim to go to Hove station not Brighton.

02 May, 2018 14:57
Quote:
tallliman
I believe there are still direct trains if you aim to go to Hove station not Brighton.

Depending on your route, the Hove service will be delayed around 30 minutes by the highly organised bus replacement service. Once you have resumed your train journey, your service will by-pass Brighton by turning away from Preston Park and into Hove.

The Brighton and Hove routes both go through Gatwick Airport and Three Bridges railway stations, hence the buses being required.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2018 19:29 by Patsy_Hendren.

02 May, 2018 17:24
Maybe not quite worth a thread of its own, but there has been a bit of a reshuffle in the coaching department, with Alan Coleman becoming 2nd team coach, with Richard Johnson spending more time with the firsts.

[www.middlesexccc.com]

I don't know if that means Richard Scott should feel threatened (after all, Vettori has already taken the T20 off him!)

tallliman (IP Logged)
02 May, 2018 17:36
Quote:
Patsy_Hendren
Quote:
tallliman

Depending on your route, the Hove service will be delayed around 30 minutes by the highly organised bus replacement service. Once you have resumed your train journey, your service will by-pass Brighton by turning away from Preston Park and into Hove.

Apologies, think it's ok Saturday.....

tallliman (IP Logged)
02 May, 2018 17:36
Quote:
Patsy_Hendren
Quote:
tallliman

Apologies, think it's ok Saturday.....

02 May, 2018 18:41
The line closure between Gatwick Airport and Three Bridges will only be effective on Sunday and Monday, so will not disrupt anyone travelling on Friday or Saturday. The distance between those stations is less than three miles, but it is nonetheless off-putting to have to have to get two or three trains (depending on whether or not the journey involves changing at Brighton) and one bus between London and Hove, rather than being able to get a train which runs directly to either Hove or Brighton.

In the latest ‘Memory Lane’ article, Middlesex have looked back at Ed Joyce’s career.

03 May, 2018 13:32
Squad named-

Malan, Barber, Cartwright, Eskinazi, Gubbins, Harris, Holden, Helm, Murtagh, Rayner, Robson, Simpson, White.

rod/ed (IP Logged)
03 May, 2018 16:13
I'd leave out Cartwright & White. A longish tail with Harry at seven, but a strong top six should be able to get enough runs, leaving four seamers and Ollie (plus Mala &Holden ) to get 20 wickets.

tallliman (IP Logged)
03 May, 2018 18:13
I think I'd agree with that.

03 May, 2018 18:24
I had forgotten about the fact Paul Stirling didn’t field on Sunday, something which means that his absence from the squad isn’t a surprise. Hopefully he will be able to play in Ireland’s inaugural Test match next week. At least it means that Max Holden should retain his place in Middlesex’s side for this match and also when we play Gloucestershire at Lord’s.

It would be nice if Tom Barber retains his place, especially as last week’s weather restricted his first-class debut to five overs, but I would be surprised if he was to play ahead of Tim Murtagh, James Harris, Tom Helm or Ollie Rayner or if we play one fewer batsman. If Barber does well at Middlesex, it would be a reversal of what happened with Gareth Berg, as Hampshire benefited from our decision to discard the Iceman, while a successful Middlesex career for Barber would mean that we would be benefiting from Hampshire’s decision to discard him. On Sunday, Chris Tremlett wrote on Twitter “Hopefully he’s [Barber] toughened up a bit since his Hants day. Pretty useless when he was there... action def improved”, and then stood by those words in his next tweet by writing “not unfair at all. It’s the reality and why he’s now at Middlesex. I’m sure it’s made him now a better cricketer for being let go. All part of the learning process”.

Sussex have named a 13-man squad for this match consisting of Ben Brown (capt./wk), Danny Briggs, Michael Burgess, George Garton, Harry Finch, Ollie Robinson, Abi Sakande, Phil Salt, Stiaan van Zyl, Stuart Whittingham, David Wiese, Luke Wells and Luke Wright. They will be without overseas player Ishant Sharma due to a shoulder injury. The absence of Angus Robson will disappoint those hoping to see he and brother Sam on opposing sides.

Richard Scott has spoken to our YouTube page about this match:

03 May, 2018 18:36
JW- I think Angus Robson has left Sussex.

In fact, I'm not sure if last year was anything more than an extended trial. When he walked out on Leicestershire the Sussex 'deal' initially was, 'We'll give you a trial in the seconds' (not the same thing as signing a pro contract, which I don't think he did).

03 May, 2018 19:49
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
Maybe not quite worth a thread of its own, but there has been a bit of a reshuffle in the coaching department, with Alan Coleman becoming 2nd XI coach, with Richard Johnson spending more time with the firsts.
[www.middlesexccc.com]

I don't know if that means Richard Scott should feel threatened (after all, Vettori has already taken the T20 off him!)

This should present a straightforward succession plan. However there does appear to be a sense of logic present:

* Rory Coutts replaces Alan Coleman as the Academy coach.
* Alan Coleman replaces Richard Johnson as the 2nd XI coach
* Richard Johnson remains as the 1st XI Assistant coach, as well as the bowling coach.
* Dave Houghton is the 1st XI Assistant coach, as well as the batting coach.
* Daniel Vettori is the 1st XI t20 coach.
* Richard Scott is the Head coach.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2018 10:42 by Patsy_Hendren.

hdo (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 08:51
I'd probably leave out White and Barber, which puts Cartwright at six, Simpson at seven and Harris at eight. Very strong batting, but Cartwright would have to act as the fourth seamer. Not sure what order the top four (Gubbins, Robson, Holden, Eski) would go in.

MiddleToWest (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 09:11
I guess Compton was still unavailable. [twitter.com]

04 May, 2018 09:33
On the whole I'd rather be in Philadelphia (W C Fields)

04 May, 2018 09:41
We had a toss, and will bat first.

Helm and White left out.

MiddleToWest (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 10:14
It tickled me to see on Cricinfo that, with the score at 8-0, Robson had 8282 career runs and Gubbins 2828.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net