cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP JT Murray Middlesex legend

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6

Re: CC v Sussex, 4-7 May 2018
Patsy_Hendren (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 14:56
Quote:
Lifer
Difficult to say which of Barber or Helm should play.

If we were to blood another inexperienced seam bowler then we may try Bamber instead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2018 19:18 by Patsy_Hendren.

tbl (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 15:04
Quote:
Lifer
A bit difficult to loan out Compo. It's his Testimonial season!

So what? According to his website, his events are all aimed at the high end corporate market, and he can come to London for them. He is not taking collections at Lords!

08 May, 2018 15:29
As Compton is a professional cricketer, I doubt that the location would be an issue. He did guest once for Worcestershire in an effort to reclaim his Test place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2018 17:16 by Patsy_Hendren.

08 May, 2018 16:19
Did we ever determine why he was offered a testimonial? A sweetener for not making a fuss about being excluded this season?

If that were the case then he couldn't be selected.

snicko (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 16:23
I recall reading that Tom Barber was responsible for fracturing Eoin Morgan’s finger.

How the hell did he manage that - did he step on his hand ?

From what I witnessed at Hove, he’d struggle to hit a barn door !

snicko (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 16:28
Apparently it happened whilst batting in the nets.

Safe to assume that Morgan was batting in a different net to which Barber was bowling in !

Sussex Seaxe (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 17:09
Quote:
snicko
Apparently it happened whilst batting in the nets.
Safe to assume that Morgan was batting in a different net to which Barber was bowling in !

No, apparently Morgan was trying a new shot which involved standing on his head 3 feet outside the off stump. Attracts a new audience, you see.

dingy bags (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 18:47
As far as I am concerned, we ran out of excuses in this match. The two games at Lords have been played on very iffy wickets/in very iffy conditions: we won one and we might have been competitive against the Glammies. At Derby, our batting was still weakened and two of our main bowlers went down with injuries.At Hove, we were closer to full strength but still not good enough. The second innings collapse was ridiculous, last 5 wickets going down for diddly squat.

Anyone who thought, after the first game, that this was going to be boring and we would walk the league, must now think again.

Cartright is a curious one. Massively disappointing with the bat but useful with the ball. Looks like a no 7 to me.

Finn back Friday? Morgan should also be fit. Helm has to play.

08 May, 2018 19:49
Quote:
dingy bags

As far as I am concerned, we ran out of excuses in this match. The two games at Lord's have been played on very iffy wickets/in very iffy conditions: we won one and we might have been competitive against the Glammies.

At Derby, our batting was still weakened and two of our main bowlers went down with injuries.At Hove, we were closer to full strength but still not good enough. The second innings collapse was ridiculous, last 5 wickets going down for diddly squat.

Anyone who thought, after the first game, that this was going to be boring and we would walk the league, must now think again.

Cartwright is a curious one. Massively disappointing with the bat but useful with the ball. Looks like a no 7 to me.

Finn back Friday? Morgan should also be fit. Helm has to play.

Despite the initial over-confidence following the Northamptonshire victory, we were already struggling for runs but our bowlers (especially Murtagh and Harris) were able to defend the set total.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2018 00:56 by Patsy_Hendren.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 19:54
I believe that Middlesex have made Nick Compton available to play elsewhere on loan, but clearly there haven’t been any takers yet.

I think that one of the reasons why he was granted a benefit year is to mark 2018 being the 100th anniversary of the birth of his grandfather Denis. However, I find myself in agreement with those arguing Nick hasn’t quite served Middlesex or the game of cricket well enough to deserve a benefit. In saying that, the fact all the money will go to charity and not into his back pocket, and the fact there doesn’t seem to be any expectation for the average supporter to contribute, means that I don’t see what harm these benefit events will do.

08 May, 2018 23:34
Without targeting specific players for our demise since winning the Championship there seems to be a lack of passion and team spirit amongst the squad that seems to reflect in a 'couldn't care less'attitude which was very evident in our batting display at Taunton last year where batsmen just seemed to give their wickets away without any grit or determination and seems to be continuing this season.
I hasten to add that this comment is not directed at our experienced front line bowlers who always seem to give it all and often embarrass our batsmen with their own batting cameos.
The squad thought they were to good to go down last year and when reality dawned that we were destined for the drop from the management downwards the excuses came rolling out - Arrowgate/Pitch at Taunton/Slow over rate etc.
The squad seemed to have approached this season with the attitude that we only have to turn up to get promoted and unless the management can install some sort of pride and spirit into the team then I fear we are destined to stay in Division 2 for the foreseeable future.
On reflection our relegation last year was a blessing in disguise as on current form we would be well and truly anchored at the foot of Division 1.

Sussex Seaxe (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 08:10
I know it is an old chestnut, but the never ending (yawn) focus on T20 or even the new thingy seems to lead batsmen to try to score off every ball, however good it is. The mindset that allows batsmen to really knuckle down during periods when bowlers are on top, hasn't disappeared, I think, but is harder to access.

I would love to see our batsmen show the grit and determination to grind out a three hour fifty when necessary. It won't happen, of course, because they all want to be picked up by a franchise. I don't blame them; so would I if I was in their position. I'm afraid it's the ECB again and the 'knowing the price of everything, but the value of nothing' syndrome.

adelaide (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 19:00
Ho hum! I appreciate that Sussex Seaxe's point is general rather than aimed at Middlesex but one of the things people were complaining about less than a year ago was failure to pick up the full set of batting bonus points in 110 overs, which is hardly consistent with crash bang wallop batting.

As far as I can see the plain and simple truth is that out batsmen largely lost confidence in the second half of last season and haven't really got it back since. I don't think it is necessary to assume overconfidence or lack of interest. One of the things that bugs me about football is the cry that the players in a struggling team aren't trying (or are not fit to wear the shirt, as if every one of the thousands wearing a replica shirt are). If a team is playing badly it may look like that but I wonder if sometimes it is the other way round - care too much then you struggle too hard, which sometimes just makes you drown all the quicker.

Adelaide

Sussex Seaxe (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 19:01
Interesting points, Adelaide, and I think you're largely right. In my so called 'professional' life, I do a lot of work with people striving to improve performance and one of the factors that can inhibit improvement is anxiety and consequential trying too hard. An ability to have the confidence that your skills are sufficient and then to be able to relax and produce them is crucial if you are to succeed.

I'm sure we can all think of times in our own lives when things just seemed to flow, it was easy. Harnessing those moments and extending them is for me, the joint responsibility of the individual and coach.

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net