cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP JT Murray Middlesex legend

Ireland's first test match
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 13:08
As expected Stirlo and Murts have both made the 14 man squad.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Former Middle players Joyce, Rankin and Balbirnie also in squad, so that's over a third of the squad.

Re: Ireland's first test match
Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
05 May, 2018 18:32
I read that Irish players in county cricket become overseas players after playing in Tests for Ireland.

Tricky.

05 May, 2018 18:34
There's a period of grace until the end of 2019, S_M.

So we are likely to lose Stirlo at the end of next season.

Timmy would be about due to retire then anyway, so less of a problem.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
05 May, 2018 20:45
Cheers chunky. That was not explained in the article.

There are several possibilities here.

I have read that Tim Murtagh intends, fitness permitting, to play on beyond 2019. In his case I guess he can retire from Test cricket and continue. British passport.

Stirlo. Given the number of Kolpak players knocking around. The first is free. Makes a case for reverting back to two overseas players allowed per team. He was born in Belfast so he has a British passport.

Presumably he will want to continue playing for Ireland whilst required and is also one of their younger players.

adelaide (IP Logged)
05 May, 2018 21:37
SM and all

My understanding is as follows.

Having a UK passport is not enough if you have played Test cricket for another country, so if Stirlo plays for Ireland after 2019, he can only play as an overseas player in country cricket.

Same goes for Tim if he is still going strong.

I suppose it is possible that the period of grace would be extended further in order to allow new Test countries to establish themselves. It would be bizarre to let Ireland in and then make is difficult for them to choose their best players.

Ah yes, Kolpaks. The rush of South Africans is because they fear that Brexit will stop new Kolpaks at some stage. It only applies to citizens of non-EU countries which have a particular form of agreement with the EU, which Ireland obviously does not need. It also only applies to players who have retired from international cricket. I suppose it is possible that the UK will decide to allow the rules which permit Kolpaks to continue, at least for a time.

One of the interesting things about Kolpaks is that the ECB seem to have made quite different interpretations at different times. My recollection is that originally they had to be players who had not achieved international status; now they have to have achieved but given up said status.

Anyway, Kolpakism is very unlikely to be relevant for Ireland players.

Adelaide

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
05 May, 2018 22:51
As well as it being bad news for counties that Ireland players will soon be unable to play county cricket as domestic players, it is bad news for Ireland too, as surely their players would learn more by spending much of the summer playing county cricket (as at present) than playing their domestic cricket in Ireland.

Good luck to Tim Murtagh and Paul Stirling on Friday.

This match will be live on Sky.

tallliman (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 10:21
I'd assume that an exception will be made for Irish players playing in the CC for the benefit of cricket else you'll probably lose quite a few players when the new regs kick in

06 May, 2018 10:59
I think the ECB and Cricket Ireland agreed on September 2019 so that existing contracts (like Paul Stirling's) could be honoured, but long term they want all their players playing in their new domestic first class competition. At the moment, only there are only 3 first class domestic sides, so if you say there are 15 players good enough to play test cricket, then that works out at 5 per team, plus best under 21's spread evenly among the 3 sides, plus maybe each team can have one or two overseas means they want their 3 domestic teams to be as strong as a Division 2 english county.

So,to make their new domestic structure strong, I think this will be the end of Irish players in England (unless good enough to be signed as overseas star, but even then it would clash with Irish season).

Patsy_Hendren (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 14:36
Congratulations to every member of the inaugural Ireland Test squad. This is the beginning of a new era.

There will be major readjustments from September 2019 but if an Irish cricketer is deemed good enough then there will be a queue of counties hoping to add them as overseas registrations. This will add to a healthy competition in the marketplace.

On the topic of British passports, our current overseas registration Cartwright has one!

Patsy_Hendren (IP Logged)
07 May, 2018 11:01
Ireland can rise to any occasion. They proved this when beating a Gatting-led Middlesex XI in Dublin during the 1997 season.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net